Unpopular opinions.

6 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

What is infinitely worse than wearing a replica shirt on holiday is hanging out in a bar designated for your own supporters. 

I have been known to sport an EFFC top in far flung lands, but I'll be fucked if I'm going to spend my time in the Bayview Bar in Benidorm. 

I'm an Edinburgh City fan. 

Does Benidorm have a telephone box?

10 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Don't get the hate for people wearing football tops (unless their Celtic, Rangers or some other stupid glory hunting pish like PSG).

You're a grown man in a football top. It's one step up from letting yer maw buy all yer clothes and asking for a 'sunday best' trackie for yer christmas. Never ceases to amaze me the number of 20'something and 30'something Scottish men who have no issues with going out in public dressed head to toe in Sports Direct shite, or the ubiquitous grey joggers and black puffer jacket. Do they still have posters of Ally McCoist and the A-team on their bedroom walls, because clearly they have no issues with still dressing like they did when they were 10.

11 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Don't get the hate for people wearing football tops (unless their Celtic, Rangers or some other stupid glory hunting pish like PSG).

Indeed. I look positively sexy in all of mine, though I do only wear retro tops from pre-90's. I think most on here are likely fat balding mutants who'd be better off just not going outside at all tbh.

7 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

My unpopular opinion;  People who dabble in the black economy, so they can save a bit of tax are absolute knvts.  This includes those that pay a bit of cash in hand to avoid VAT and those that don't declare their full incomes.  (I'm looking at everyone from Tradesmen doing a bit on the side to taxi drivers to waiters and waitresses not recording their tips).

Don't get me started on those morally corrupt knvts that use tax loopholes (but those are more popular opinions).

Yours, pay yer taxes!

aDONis

You're a moron.

Been done to death on here but I'll always be in support of folk wearing football tops abroad for two reasons - 1) If it's a diddy team top it's a good icebreaker and you know you can get a decent discussion about lower league football. 2) If it's an OF top, you know you're probably best just avoiding having any interaction with the person.

Or option 3) perhaps, when meeting someone wearing, say a Morton top, who will bore you to death for 20 minutes (without coming up for air) on how much they hate the OF and how Scottish football is run. It’s just as tiresome and predictable imho. ‘Aye mate it was nice to meet you, have a good holiday’.

Friend was on holiday (Magaluf or Tenerife or something) staying in a 5* hotels which was "fully inclusive". Mentioned the fact that it was 5* and fully inclusive quite a lot for some reason so I just parrot that robotically whenever I mention this. He said one of the guests came down in the same Wolves top and shorts (but not kit socks) every morning for breakfast for 4 days running. 

I assume he did not change out of the kit after breakfast but he may have done so. 

Despite not seeing this for myself, I think about this more often than is normal. 

Or option 3) perhaps, when meeting someone wearing, say a Morton top, who will bore you to death for 20 minutes (without coming up for air) on how much they hate the OF and how Scottish football is run. It’s just as tiresome and predictable imho. ‘Aye mate it was nice to meet you, have a good holiday’.

I've never experienced that. Mainly because it's usually me going on for 20 minutes about how shite my side are...

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Meh. I don't see it as hypocritical tbh. Waiters/tresses are probably among the lowest paid in our society. Even an extra £100 or so (I doubt it'll be that much) tax-free tips is hardly going to change much - it's not exactly a common career choice is it?

You'll get fought all the way with this because it's just not an issue. It's the kind of drivel Tories want us to believe, all the while excusing these c***s/companies using loopholes to avoid paying tax that could make an actual real difference. I doubt the tax from waiter staffs tips would make any difference in society at all. They pay their fair share anyway.

I understand the sentiment, and any individual is not going to break the bank, but cumulatively!...

Back in 2012 it was estimated that the shadow economy (as opposed to the black economy) is worth about £150bn p.a. in the UK, https://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/jun/04/uk-shadow-economy no matter how you look at it, that is a big number.  (I saw a similar figure for 2017 but can't find the source now).

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't be excusing small scale tax evasion as some sort of victimless crime.  Everyone likes to pick a convienient straw-man (waitress/waiter), but this avoids the fact that on a cumulative basis there is a real impact of everyone thinking 'it's just a bit of a fiddle, look over there'.

I didn't expect people to agree with me.  I understand the frustration that there is one rule for the rich and another for the poor (I agree with the sentiment).  But... just because that cvnt Sir Philip Green robbed his workers pension pots, doesn't give you or me the right to shoplift at Primark.

Yours, the ever saintly!

aDONis

I was in New Orleans on a business trip a couple of years ago. A colleague and I walked into a pub and the first thing we saw were four stereotypical gammons. Red faces, crew cuts and with Chelsea tops barely making it around their guts. From the look of them they were only a couple more beers away from singing “Rule Britannia”. 

We went somewhere else. 

36 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I was in Dubai a couple of years ago for work and the were about twenty folk sitting around the hotel pool in Celtic leisure wear drinking beers. Definitely ones to avoid. Not sure what they were doing there during a pandemic, mind.

My brother worked and lived in Dubai for years and he said that, at least once a year, there were shellik n reggers "conventions" that were attended by ex-players (from the 70s & 80s mainly), but these piss-ups drew in a number of fans from both Scotland and beyond.  If you'd been there a few weeks later than you were, chances are that you'd have seen the same scene, but morons wearing tat from the other cheek. 

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

On holiday once in a really nice resort I spotted a couple of chaps sporting nice St Mirren tops. Made a point of steadfastly avoiding them for the week. 

Sound life advice, not for just on holiday. 

Strange folk, in my experience. 

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I was in Dubai a couple of years ago for work and the were about twenty folk sitting around the hotel pool in Celtic leisure wear drinking beers. Definitely ones to avoid. Not sure what they were doing there during a pandemic, mind.

Tbf that was probably just the Celtic team on their winter break.

14 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

You're a grown man in a football top. It's one step up from letting yer maw buy all yer clothes and asking for a 'sunday best' trackie for yer christmas. Never ceases to amaze me the number of 20'something and 30'something Scottish men who have no issues with going out in public dressed head to toe in Sports Direct shite, or the ubiquitous grey joggers and black puffer jacket. Do they still have posters of Ally McCoist and the A-team on their bedroom walls, because clearly they have no issues with still dressing like they did when they were 10.

This is me. Or close. 

It always amuses me seeing older people get upset or annoyed over clothes. I genuinely couldn't care less what other people wear. I'm intrigued as to why you seemingly care about this?

What's acceptable attire for a grown up? What's the cut off when a child becomes a man and puts away the puffer jacket? 

Fashion industry is a scam.