Unpopular opinions.

30 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I remember when my old boss told me he was getting an OBE. He’d got one of his mates who was quite high up In the Department for Transport or some such to put him up for it. Complete vanity case.

I'd have told him to get on his bike.

On 02/01/2023 at 01:32, Desp said:

Firework displays are generally fine in my eyes. Selling them to any c**t in Asda or Aldi is miles oot though. Wee Stevie setting £40 worth off because it's fucking Friday can get in the bin. 

Also, people who have a private registration plate beginning 'W33' or 'W333' should have their licence revoked for life. Possibly even a jail term chucked their way as well.

I do know someone who has such a plate but they are 5"3'.

On a similar note there's a boy down the road with a plate beginning B16 and he's a cnut. And not very tall either 

On 01/01/2023 at 17:38, Mr. Alli said:

Holy shit. Was everyone alright?!

On 01/01/2023 at 17:56, Stellaboz said:

What the f**k was that? 

Some of the fireworks being set off recently have been like bombs going off, there's actually a ban on setting them off but the Dutch authorities didn't factor in having to police the situation and with it being the first real Nye post covid folk went even crazier than usual, it was utter carnage.

Lots of folk across the country suffering some serious eye injuries and I read one account of someone losing a hand, a school burned down and I'm sure there were a few fatalities across the country, sometimes the relaxed Dutch attitude has it's drawbacks.

5 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

Some of the fireworks being set off recently have been like bombs going off, there's actually a ban on setting them off but the Dutch authorities didn't factor in having to police the situation and with it being the first real Nye post covid folk went even crazier than usual, it was utter carnage.

Lots of folk across the country suffering some serious eye injuries and I read one account of someone losing a hand, a school burned down and I'm sure there were a few fatalities across the country, sometimes the relaxed Dutch attitude has it's drawbacks.

Seems interesting, so a quick search gave us this:

https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/dutch-expat-news/mayors-call-fireworks-ban-netherlands-after-busy-new-years-eve

Looks like a primary school and a retirement home caught fire and a historic chapel burned to the ground. It was an 11 y-o with the amputated hand, and he lost an eye too. Parents letting children play with fireworks explosives should probably have some strapped to them and lit (the child was lighting the fireworks).

My Dutch friend told me that you can buy fireworks at the age of 11 (sparklers) and at the age of 12 or 13 (her son's age) you can buy rockets. She lives in an obviously bam-free part of Holland as she couldn't understand my dumbfoundedness at allowing that age group to buy them. 

Bonkers.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Seems interesting, so a quick search gave us this:

https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/dutch-expat-news/mayors-call-fireworks-ban-netherlands-after-busy-new-years-eve

Looks like a primary school and a retirement home caught fire and a historic chapel burned to the ground. It was an 11 y-o with the amputated hand, and he lost an eye too. Parents letting children play with fireworks explosives should probably have some strapped to them and lit (the child was lighting the fireworks).

56 minutes ago, velo army said:

My Dutch friend told me that you can buy fireworks at the age of 11 (sparklers) and at the age of 12 or 13 (her son's age) you can buy rockets. She lives in an obviously bam-free part of Holland as she couldn't understand my dumbfoundedness at allowing that age group to buy them. 

Bonkers.

The phycological damage it does to pets and wildlife really annoys me, one of the worst aspects is that folk will throw fireworks out their windows at passers by or worst still at the emergency services who are just trying to do their jobs, it's moronic in the extreme.

As for the "ban" it's what they call in Dutch a papieren tijger ( paper tiger ) basically something that is implemented but not really going to be enforced.

Before I moved here I came over for New Year and was shocked to read this in a guide book.

IMG_20230104_161526.jpg

Edited by stevieKTID

On 03/01/2023 at 05:40, tamthebam said:

I do know someone who has such a plate but they are 5"3'.

On a similar note there's a boy down the road with a plate beginning B16 and he's a cnut. And not very tall either 

Maybe that’s him announcing he’s bisixual 

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Abba were fabulous 

8 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

A few decent songs on the soundtrack shouldn't detract from the fact Dirty Dancing is actually fucking pish. Dreadful movie. 

How on Earth are these unpopular opinions?

Even the Sex Pistols secretly loved ABBA, and Dirty Dancing is old-school Hollywood propaganda to lure tween girls into thinking predatory older men are cool, like Twilight.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

How on Earth are these unpopular opinions?

Even the Sex Pistols secretly loved ABBA, and Dirty Dancing is old-school Hollywood propaganda to lure tween girls into thinking predatory older men are cool, like Twilight.

You clearly never went to school in Fife in the late 1970s

5 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

You clearly never went to school in Fife in the late 1970s

I'm taking this as my new smackdown for any statement I wish to refute.

"There's no way anyone genuinely believes the Earth is flat"
"Well, clearly you never went to school in Fife in the late 1970s"

• 2 weeks later...