Unpopular opinions.

8 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Chris Sutton is a decent pundit and actually pretty funny. He does go off on rants occasionally and lose the plot like the lying down claim but I enjoy his views and he says it like it is. Give me him over boring Ian Wright any day.

He's funny for the first half of the season and then he gets a bit wearing.  By the end of the season, he's throwing out any old thing to get a bite.  Come the start of the next season, he resets and off we go again.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Did people at the time actually believe we were going to win in 78? Why?

Scotland had an impressive squad in '74 and acquitted themselves well against world champions Brazil and European champions Yugoslavia. Had they played Zaire 2nd or 3rd, rather than 1st, they would've known better than to sit back on their 2-0 lead and could easily have scored more, thus progressing on goal difference rather than being eliminated without losing a game. (Remember Ireland once got into the second round without winning one.)

The '78 squad was believed to be even better and with names like Dalglish, Sounness and Jordan, maybe it was. I'm not sure anyone really believed they would win the thing  but the media got us all revved up and anyway, it's fun to dream. Given the draw, a second place finish was at least expected and after that, who knows what might happen with a bit of luck. Fervour was high. As a result, nobody predicted the utter shambles the campaign turned out to be. Gordon McQueen's injury keeping him out of the squad, player dissent over bonuses, certain stars being perhaps beyond their sell by date, the infamous lack of discipline in the camp, and of course, Willie Johnston's drug scandal, the reasons for the failure are myriad.

But then you look at the game against Holland, a team many believe to be the best that ever played the game and see how the Scots played against them, and you have to wonder what might've been. 

On 28 June 2018 at 01:10, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Did people at the time actually believe we were going to win in 78? Why?

The section of the public that believe's Britain's got Talent is the be all and end all bought into a 24 hours before the Scottish Referendum type frenzy pushed by bizarre adverts on TV to buy carpets in Maryhill from some dodgy fat bloke.Your average football fan was going, what the eff.

On 25/06/2018 at 21:46, G-MAN said:

Women commentators are extremely annoying.

There I said it.

The male commentators have set a fairly high bar in the annoyance stakes. But give it time...

Edited by Angusfifer

I've lashed out on tonight's game with a £1 stake backing England to win at 66-1. This is a special offer bet for newcomers to Coral - with strings attached. Maximum stake is £1 and your winnings amount to £67 worth of free bets.

7 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I've lashed out on tonight's game with a £1 stake backing England to win at 66-1. This is a special offer bet for newcomers to Coral - with strings attached. Maximum stake is £1 and your winnings amount to £67 worth of free bets.

You've taken their bait, Johnboy.

11 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

You've taken their bait, Johnboy.

Of course!

But my plan is to  stake my £67 worth of free bets on dead certs,  convert my winnings into cash then enjoy the rest of my retirement in Tahiti.

:)

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Of course!

But my plan is to  stake my £67 worth of free bets on dead certs,  convert my winnings into cash then enjoy the rest of my retirement in Tahiti.

:)

Say hi to Willo Flood for us.

Music festivals are bad. If people would just admit they only go to get fucked up on drugs and get laid then fair enough but going to see 2 bands you've heard of and 40 you havn't sounds like an awful experience.

Then again they are that high on ket and dope as they try and finger 18 stone Maggie from kirkintilloch that they probably don't care.

2 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

Brazil aren't particularly good to watch.

I don't think you'll get much argument about this incarnation.

The 1970 variety might get you lynched, however.