Unpopular opinions.

The “can video games” be art argument is redundant, they can be as much as any other medium but the examples offered by gamers normally aren’t. The best example offered of a video game as art that I hear is The Last of Us which is good but is ultimately a fairly derivative episode of the Walking Dead that’s especially well produced and acted. Maybe gamers are just shite at advertising their medium.

Superhero movies likewise. Marvel movies are just entertaining theme park rides with nothing to say and while DC movies seem to be trying to say something are usually saying something incredibly stupid (which tbf I enjoy).

As soon as you hit 18 you should start wearing pleated shirts, shit flickers and staring out your curtains in all your spare time to shake your fist at the world. 

Either that or hit F5 relentlessly on the news pages from around the globe. 

Martin Scorcese was correct in what he said about superhero movies and while games might not necessarily be for children anymore it’s apparent that the general standard of video game writing is pretty poor.

I respect Martin Scorsese and what he's done in his career, no doubt about that but he's no right whatsoever to think he's the judge of all things cinema.

Many films that are held in high esteem are actually a massive pile of shite.

Going to the pictures to see some Marvel Film, or even something like Bond is great.....for a couple of hours you can just switch off and enjoy the nonsense. Surely that's what you're supposed to be doing with your precious leisure time.

I'm approaching 30 and still play video games probably 5-6 hours a week, and my girlfriend gives me the same kind of "what age are you?" patter. I enjoy it though and 95% of the time I'm playing with and talking to my mates, so don't really see why I should stop. The only problem is I have one TV - in the living room - so I suppose it's a pain in the arse for her not to be able to watch anything during that time. Although some nights she could stare at her phone for hours not watching anything and then as soon as I boot up the PS4 I'm suddenly being selfish. Infuriating Things Your Partner Does for this pish.
This is probably similar to me. I'll have an hour here or there bashing buttons at NHL or FIFA. That's about it though.

I personally don't see the point in the plethora of shooty/fighty/buildy/strategy games out there that people play for hours and hours on end. I don't know where they get the time, but I'm not knocking it, there's bugger all wrong with it if that's their thing.

I respect Martin Scorsese and what he's done in his career, no doubt about that but he's no right whatsoever to think he's the judge of all things cinema.

Going to the pictures to see some Marvel Film, or even something like Bond is great.....for a couple of hours you can just switch off and enjoy the nonsense. Surely that's what you're supposed to be doing with your precious leisure time.

The bottom paragraph is basically what he argued lol

The bottom paragraph is basically what he argued lol
I remember reading the quotes and unless he was misquoted in the article I read I don't agree that's what he basically argued.

Anyway, I was more thinking his comments about it 'not being cinema' or words similar.

Unless I'm mistaken, the last Marvel Film I saw was on a big b*****d screen in a big b*****d room filled with folk. It's cinema, maybe not to his taste, but plenty of his movies will fall into that category for some, doesn't mean they aren't cinema.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Ok, got you.

But folk will usually play different games as an adult to what they did as a kid, unless they just play the same ones over and over, especially because they'll actually be able to buy and play 18 rated games (and how can games 18 rated be for kids?). 

Is it any different to watching a TV show or film that you liked as a kid? 

It is even that difficult from going to the football as an adult because you enjoyed it as a kid?

What I'm getting at here is why are video games different in to the other things mentioned?

Well, I think watching TV shows and films you liked as a child is an example of what I'm talking about.  Why do so many people hang onto what they liked when they were a child well into middle age?  

Thinking about it, maybe video games are just better now and thus more enjoyable for adults.  I'm sure even the most committed gamer would find a 45 year playing Sonic the Hedgehog for eight hours pretty weird but, from what I can see, games now are more challenging and 'adult' in themselves.  So the development of games has lead to the changes in the cohort who play them.  As I said in my earlier post, I'm not saying it's a necessarily a bad thing.  It's interesting to me that in my lifetime things that were previously the realm of children have become normal adult activities. 

I did some Googling about this and found that the Prison Planet guy did a Youtube video about this subject.  I'm looking forward to taking my Brain Plus tablets before doing my stint on InfoWars tonight.

The “can video games” be art argument is redundant, they can be as much as any other medium but the examples offered by gamers normally aren’t. The best example offered of a video game as art that I hear is The Last of Us which is good but is ultimately a fairly derivative episode of the Walking Dead that’s especially well produced and acted. Maybe gamers are just shite at advertising their medium.

Superhero movies likewise. Marvel movies are just entertaining theme park rides with nothing to say and while DC movies seem to be trying to say something are usually saying something incredibly stupid (which tbf I enjoy).
Art is subjective of course but there are lots of amazing story telling games out there; The Last of Us being one of them. The character development is excellent. Please don't compare TLOU to TWD. TLOU developed these two characters superbly, as I said. TWD manage to bring interesting characters into play and turn every single one of them into boring b*****ds that you're praying get eaten by the zombies!

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

EgDna5ZXsAA-H1_.jpg

We’ve let the “let people enjoy things!!!” crowd get away with murder

They need to do this again, only with the added category of "Women Rank, after their male partner has fully explained the basic plot three times, explained who every major and minor character is, and answered a billion blindingly obvious questions about the narrative". Not that I know any women who do this EVERY FUCKING TIME WE SIT DOWN TO WATCH A MOVIE :angry:

Going to the cinema is a right laugh. Due to the fact she feels she can't speak for fear of being shushed, her face is a picture of contorted and anguished gurning for the duration.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I'm still disagreeing here. I think a lot of it is just snobbery when it comes to such films. 

Films don't need to or have to say anything, but Marvel films actually do deal with quite a lot of prominent issues and say plenty (how well they do so is entirely subjective). When folk make the arguments about them being brainless etc and not saying anything, I wonder if they've actually seen them? 

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Well, I think watching TV shows and films you liked as a child is an example of what I'm talking about.  Why do so many people hang onto what they liked when they were a child well into middle age?  

Thinking about it, maybe video games are just better now and thus more enjoyable for adults.  I'm sure even the most committed gamer would find a 45 year playing Sonic the Hedgehog for eight hours pretty weird but, from what I can see, games now are more challenging and 'adult' in themselves.  So the development of games has lead to the changes in the cohort who play them.  As I said in my earlier post, I'm not saying it's a necessarily a bad thing.  It's interesting to me that in my lifetime things that were previously the realm of children have become normal adult activities. 

I did some Googling about this and found that the Prison Planet guy did a Youtube video about this subject.  I'm looking forward to taking my Brain Plus tablets before doing my stint on InfoWars tonight.

I'm not sure it's a case of 'hanging on' to things people liked as a kid rather than simply still liking it. Following football is no different surely? Folk liked it as a kid and still like it. They aren't 'hanging on' to something they liked as a kid.

Video games have never been just for children incidentally. That was always misinformed, dismissive garbage. It caused plenty of issues when Mortal Kombat rolled around and parents were suddenly like 'hold up, what is this'?! It forced age classification as up to then there hadn't been any, which was absolutely stupid and arrogant.

Expanding on my Seinfeld love-in but a thing I noticed with Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men and maybe even Friends is the removal of the laugh track just hammers home that all the characters viscerally dislike each other. Zero reaction half the time to each other while they lecture each other. Seinfeld, on the other hand, lots of laughs from the cast.

The Big Bang Theory is weird. The wean likes it so I bought him a box set, and must have seen most of it several times by now.

There's a lassie on it who apes Rachel from Friends to the point that she's obviously made a study of it, and an obnoxiously creepy laddie who seems to exist purely because the writers have a problem with India and wanted an excuse to say how shit it is in every episode. The fact that he comes off worse than what seems to be a genuine Larry Laffer style Grade A sex pest is a thing of wonder. Between that and treating a character's asexuality as a constant source of merriment, I don't think it's going to age well.