Unpopular opinions.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Funnily enough I had the grand kids watching Foghorn Leghorn at the weekend.

The cartoons with Foghorn Leghorn v the wee brainy chicken hawk are some of the finest comedy ever written.

Edited by jimbaxters

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I had to look her up, she looks like David Schwimmer.

Stuck in a creative impasse, she met "Stefania" (not her real name, for reasons which become obvious) while studying for a Masters degree in London. The blonde Venetian was a fish out of water, and the pair became fast friends as Bidisha helped her explore and enjoy the city. Struggling to write a follow-up novel, she eventually succumbed to Stefania's urgings and visited Venice, staying at the family's luxurious palazzo opposite San Eustachio on the Grand Canal. Utterly smitten, and realising Venice would make the perfect, quiet place to live while polishing her third novel, she returned, rented a flat and set to work. But nothing turned out exactly as she expected. For a start, Venetian Masters is not that novel. Also, Stefania's grand and gracious mother and father, initially so welcoming, gradually turned against her in the funniest and most excruciating scenes in the book.

"Venetian Masters was absolutely accidental. It was sod's law that it was the diary I wrote effortlessly that turned into the book." It was, she says, "a beautiful lesson to learn". I ask whether any of the Venetians she exposes so forensically in the text knew she was writing it. "Yes, my friends knew I was writing a diary every day because I asked them a few things. I don't think the parental duo knew and I hope they don't find out... I'm hoping their arrogance is such that they wouldn't even deign to read a book by me. And it hasn't come out in Italian."

Early on in the book, Bidisha is introduced to an important concept in Venetian manners. Stefania and her mother Lucrezia invite her to supper and encourage her "about six times" to finish off the last spoonfuls of the delicious pasta. Eventually she does, whereupon "Lucrezia looks at me pointedly, blinks once, picks up the bowl that the pasta was in, stares glumly inside it and starts scraping it with one tine of her fork... Irritated and embarrassed, I realise I've done the wrong thing and insist that she takes half of what I've got." Twice Lucrezia refuses but accepts at the third time of asking. This lightly comic scene is repeated with variations throughout the book. Bidisha suddenly realises that the friend who always turns down the offer of coffee is simply waiting to be pressed until she accepts. Eventually, she reaches a state of terrified paralysis, unable to understand these complex, and in any case constantly shifting social conventions.

"It was painful – those final days when I was staying with Stefania's parents and Lucrezia would ask a very simple question: would you like some wine? Half an hour later I was still slowly decoding every nuance of her voice. Is it good to have the wine or is it bad? If I have the wine, do I have to pay for it, or is it that they're making a gesture to me to welcome me into the family? Or is it that they don't want me to have the wine? And when I complimented the food, Lucrezia would scowl, because that wasn't my place. It meant I was treating her like the cook."

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/the-comeback-kid-whatever-happened-to-fiesty-mono-monikered-teenage-author-bidisha-789126.html

Limmy's Vines: That Accent GIF | Gfycat

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
26 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:
a team of current Scottish internationals born outside Scotland would beat a team made up of players born here - capped players only

Can you follow this up with a couple of squads so we can make a proper fist of it?

no, that's not the point of this thread,. throw in a grenade and walk out

7 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

a team of current Scottish internationals born outside Scotland would beat a team made up of players born here - capped players only

The list of currently active Scotland internationals born outside of Scotland (capped players only) is:

Liam Cooper
Tom Cairney
Oli McBurnie
Scott McTominay
Liam Palmer
Kieran Tierney

I would like to think that a team of 11 Scottish born players would be good enough to beat that 6.

(list pulled together using players denoted as still active on the wikipedia list of scottish internationals pages).

Current Scotland born internationals:

Scott Bain
Eamonn Brophy
Michael Devlin
Stuart Findlay
John Fleck
Declan Gallagher
Ryan Jack
Jon McLaughlin
Marc McNulty
Lawrence Shankland
Greg Taylor
Lewis Morgan
John Souttar
Stuart Armstrong
Oliver Burke
Ryan Christie
Ryan Fraser
John McGinn
Callum McGregor
Scott McKenna
Kenny McLean
Stephen O’Donnell
Johnny Russell
Graeme Shinnie
Steven Naismith
Charlie Mulgrew
James Forrest
David Marshall
Andy Robertson
Grant Hanley

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Scrambled eggs can be made just as well in the microwave as in a pot, and if you cant manage this, it's your fault, not the microwave.

Didn't work out that well for Kirk broadfoot.