Unpopular opinions.

I would imagine this is a very unpopular opinion but it is borne off a podcast i listened to. I found myself agreeing with some of the what the guy said.

Essentially, it was a discussion around depression and the guy was saying we need to stop telling people that it is a disease that can’t be fixed. He said we need to move away from this and stop telling people it’s not their fault and we should start telling people that if they work hard then they can feel better. We need to stop automatically putting people on pills and tell them to start exercising as it is proven to make people feel better.

Absolutely mental opinions thread for this pish.

I think the word you are looking for is less "unpopular" and more "harmful and wrong"

Maybe correct. I don’t really know. Exercise is proven to be excellent for your state of mind. The guy did have some pretty out there views (some of it was quite funny).

4 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Maybe correct. I don’t really know. Exercise is proven to be excellent for your state of mind. The guy did have some pretty out there views (some of it was quite funny).

Exercise is invaluable for everyone. Im only taking issue with the depression bit. 

One of the issues about discussions on mental health is that the scope of what is covered by the term 'mental health' is so massive.  If you are feeling stressed out or down then going for a run will probably make you feel better.  If you are having a psychotic episode it will not.  When it comes to depression then some people will see benefits from being active, exercising etc but others will not.  One thing you often see in the NHS is that the default recommendations for people with mental health problems is tilted more towards the "Go running, do some yoga, practice mindfulness" side rather than dealing with serious health problems.  Of course, it's easy to give someone a leaflet or link to online resources than it is to provide an appointment with a psychiatrist. 

I've read a lot about this subject, I don't really know if SSRIs are over prescribed (it's always SSRIs that people mean when they talk about over prescritpion of psychiatric drugs) but I have some sympathy for doctors - these drugs can be a very good tool for improving people's lives.  However, they can also have side effects and I think I'm right in saying that no-one really knows the long term effects of being on them.  They aren't designed for people to take for long periods of time but some people I know have been on them for literally decades.  The withdrawal process can be extremely difficult as well.  A lassie I went out with when I was younger cycled off them and it was brutal, she had periods of just constant tearfulness for absolutely no reason.  She was probably a textbook case of someone who shouldn't have been on them - she went to Uni and at first struggled to make friends as the people in her halls of residence were a bit different to her, she was lonely and it was a bity overwhelming.  She went to the doctor, got put on meds.  Afterwards she got to know the people on her course better, made friends with them and improved.  So she went back to the docs and he took her off them a few months later which meant this strange period of outbursts of crying or sadness for no reason.  Thankfully she got past it but withdrawing from them after years is notoriously difficult.

What podcast was it @Aufc , out of interest?

One of the issues about discussions on mental health is that the scope of what is covered by the term 'mental health' is so massive.  If you are feeling stressed out or down then going for a run will probably make you feel better.  If you are having a psychotic episode it will not.  When it comes to depression then some people will see benefits from being active, exercising etc but others will not.  One thing you often see in the NHS is that the default recommendations for people with mental health problems is tilted more towards the "Go running, do some yoga, practice mindfulness" side rather than dealing with serious health problems.  Of course, it's easy to give someone a leaflet or link to online resources than it is to provide an appointment with a psychiatrist. 
I've read a lot about this subject, I don't really know if SSRIs are over prescribed (it's always SSRIs that people mean when they talk about over prescritpion of psychiatric drugs) but I have some sympathy for doctors - these drugs can be a very good tool for improving people's lives.  However, they can also have side effects and I think I'm right in saying that no-one really knows the long term effects of being on them.  They aren't designed for people to take for long periods of time but some people I know have been on them for literally decades.  The withdrawal process can be extremely difficult as well.  A lassie I went out with when I was younger cycled off them and it was brutal, she had periods of just constant tearfulness for absolutely no reason.  She was probably a textbook case of someone who shouldn't have been on them - she went to Uni and at first struggled to make friends as the people in her halls of residence were a bit different to her, she was lonely and it was a bity overwhelming.  She went to the doctor, got put on meds.  Afterwards she got to know the people on her course better, made friends with them and improved.  So she went back to the docs and he took her off them a few months later which meant this strange period of outbursts of crying or sadness for no reason.  Thankfully she got past it but withdrawing from them after years is notoriously difficult.
What podcast was it [mention=5691]Aufc[/mention] , out of interest?

It wasn’t specifically about depression but it just developed on to the guest talking about it. It was the james English podcast with Andrew Tate. Essentially him telling his life story. As i said, some of his views are out there and there is some yoj will disagree on and some you will think will make some sense. It was actually quite funny at times. Def worth a listen

I agree with this. The rest though is a nonsense. 

Fair enough. This is only an example but he used the example of someone who is overweight. They are not overweight because they are depressed. They are depressed because they are overweight. The only person who can help them here is themselves. There is a very good chance that, once they lose weight, they will feel a lot better.

5 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Fair enough. This is only an example but he used the example of someone who is overweight. They are not overweight because they are depressed. They are depressed because they are overweight. The only person who can help them here is themselves. There is a very good chance that, once they lose weight, they will feel a lot better.

This is more nonsense. There will be plenty of people who are overweight because they are depressed. Depression can cause comfort/binge eating.

This guy sounds like an absolute walloper, to be honest.

Severe depression is a physical illness.  Lethargy, tiredness, inability to move are all symptoms of it.  It's pretty easy to see how that could lead to weight gain.

Also, one of the most common side effects of anti-depressants is weight gain.  I think I'm right in saying that the vast majority of pyschiatric drugs have that side effect.

There's been some very promising research done into psylocibin which indicates life changing effects at a single dose. Most of the studies have been on terminally ill people or those with PTSD, but it seems like depression could be tackled in the same way. Pretty interesting stuff.

Slow cookers are shite.
Absolutely this. I don't understand the hype.

7 hours ago, Aufc said:

Essentially, it was a discussion around depression and the guy was saying we need to stop telling people that it is a disease that can’t be fixed. He said we need to move away from this and stop telling people it’s not their fault and we should start telling people that if they work hard then they can feel better. We need to stop automatically putting people on pills and tell them to start exercising as it is proven to make people feel better.

What a load of complete and utter shite. I'm not familiar with James English or Andrew Tate but whichever one of them came out with that needs multiple kicks in the bollocks. My wife has suffered from clinical depression for most of her adult life, while I myself am dealing with a lower grade version of it. I think I'm more familiar with the issue than either of those two ring-pieces. To address the points in bold:

1. "We need to stop telling people it's a disease."
Mental illness IS a fucking disease. More people need to hear this, not less.
2. "Stop telling people it's not their fault."
Mental illness is NOT the fault of the people who suffer from it, any more than cancer or appendicitis. It's 2021 - how can there STILL be people with such ignorant opinions?
2. "If they work hard then they can feel better."
Every day is hard work. EVERY...FUCKING...DAY. Getting out of bed. Showering. Making breakfast. Driving to work. All the simple things that healthy people do without a thought are ridiculously hard work for people suffering from depression.
3. "Stop automatically putting people on pills"
I take pills every day but there was nothing automatic about the decision. If it wasn't for that medication, I would be a suicide statistic by now.
3. "Tell them to start exercising."
Does this fuckwit seriously think that depressed people are just lazy? That it's never occurred to them to exercise? Or that nobody has ever told them this...hundreds of times?

Severely depressed people can barely fucking MOVE. Just getting up and being functional is a major achievement. I typically walk between 13,000 and 20,000 steps a day. I ride my bike regularly, hike and even run sometimes. I don't personally know anyone my age who exercises more. And while it does make me feel better, I still have depression - go figure. 

The opinions you find yourself agreeing with aren't unpopular. They're hateful, dangerous and pig-ignorant.

Seemingly Away goals don't count double anymore.

Not that they ever did, as i never once heard of a team who lost 3-2 away from home and drew 0-0 at home going through on a 3-4 aggregate score.

Edited by superbigal

9 hours ago, Aufc said:

We should let Peter Tobin out for a walk.

Babies aren't cute, they're bald, noisy, smelly arseholes. Nobody wants to see your child on Facebook or anywhere else.
They are only smelly when they have shat themselves tbh. Adults have that, plus various other unpleasant odour potential. Id contend adults are much smellier than babies.