May 2011 Election

xbl

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2341: Sky says the Lib Democrats have confirmed their candidate has died in Westerhope, Newcastle, rendering the election invalid.

Bloody hell! The Lib Dems are really desperate to minimise their losses!

He is gone. Ormiston and Tranent are old mining towns, they have been voting solidy Labour since 1918! If its neck amd neck in those towns there is no chance Labour will pick up votes in place like Haddington or North Berwick.

I'm getting my hopes up here, I'm trying to shake the thought that the SNP have won and its all about how, but I don't want to get carried away...

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not convinced he will.

I'm told the list or consituency thing is labour policy, so yeah.

So what would happen if Labour did win and he didn't have a seat, would they need to have another leader or would they get someone to resign from the seat they won the easiest and have Iain Gray stand there.

So what would happen if Labour did win and he didn't have a seat, would they need to have another leader or would they get someone to resign from the seat they won the easiest and have Iain Gray stand there.

Unlikely that Labour will win if they loose East Lothian. A Labour leader has lost his seat before... but that was in 1931.

Iain Gray's title is basically Leader of the MSP grouping in the Scottish Parliament. He's not a leader of a party, unlike the other parties, where even the Unionist parties have a federal structure. So no seat, he should be gone. I imagine the deputy (yon Lamont wifie) will take over in the interim.

would they need to have another leader or would they get someone to resign from the seat they won the easiest and have Iain Gray stand there.

Win or lose, if they get humped badly enough for Gray to be losing his seat, you'd imagine he'd resign as 'leader' (if that doesn't happen automatically infact, in terms of the parliamentary group). Further it would be humiliaiting and damaging for them to pull some stunt to parachute him in.

Paper today suggested possible successor is Dave Whitton.

- That was my response, too.

Right, I've got the BBC Scotland coverage on my TV, the STV coverage on my laptop, the English BBC coverage on my iPad (to keep an eye on what's happening down south) and my PC is for this kind of thing.

Overkill? :ph34r:

I note you are neglecting the Welsh coverage.

You're not really into this politics malarkey, are you?

:P

Iain Gray's title is basically Leader of the MSP grouping in the Scottish Parliament. He's not a leader of a party, unlike the other parties, where even the Unionist parties have a federal structure. So no seat, he should be gone. I imagine the deputy (yon Lamont wifie) will take over in the interim.

hurrah irn-bru on tap beckons!

Is that Ruth Davidson bird of the Tories on BBC related to journalist and former STV reporter and Labour spin doctor Lorraine Davidson?

They sound a bit similar.

Is that Ruth Davidson bird of the Tories on BBC related to journalist and former STV reporter and Labour spin doctor Lorraine Davidson?

They sound a bit similar.

Ruth Davidson formerly worked for BBC and interestingly for a Tory is a lesbian.

• 007: For the Herald it is "Salmond heads for a second term", while the Times has "Salmond poised for action" at Holyrood
  • 0005: The Scottish Sun says: "Home and Dry: Salmond heads for historic win", with a picture of Alex Salmond under an umbrella.

Archived