The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

If we had Kerr it wouldn't have been 352.

I don't think it's as simple as that, sure he was brought in for the aerial threat of Holt.

I actually said pre to today's game that I think we missed McCrackens aerial threat in the opposite box and I think he gets a rough deal of our fans, if he had given away the Watson penalty v St Johnstone, he'd have hung out from the south stand, whereas Watson escaped any criticism.

We are a right wing back away from having an effective 3-5-2 based on today's showing.

I for one is pleased Houstie is willing to experiment with 3-5-2 and hopefully does again

The main problem is that we have a host of very ineffectual players. There's endless possible combinations of defence and midfield and none of them are very good. 

We were short of 3 starters last season and we've lost 2 more and added a heap of squad players.  Quantity over quality. Why didn't we go for Ryan Hardie on loan even? 

Too weak, too slow and too small. And not one signing that looks to have improved the first XI. 3rd is still a realistic target, but I think we'll be fourth at best.

In fact I'd bite your hand off for 4th if it was offered right now. 

Edited by ScotSquid

The main problem is that we have a host of very ineffectual players. There's endless possible combinations of defence and midfield and none of them are very good. 

We were short of 3 starters last season and we've lost 2 more and added a heap of squad players.  Quantity over quality. Why didn't we go for Ryan Hardie on loan even? 

Too weak, too slow and too small. And not one signing that looks to have improved the first XI. 3rd is still a realistic target, but I think we'll be fourth at best.

The reason we didn't go for Hardie is because we already have four strikers and another one out on loan. We don't need any more strikers.

I believe the only reason Houstie played 3-5-2 today was to match the Hibs formation to try counteract them. Baird had a very good scoring season last year but he's not been at it for a good while now and Houstie needs to realise this and drop him. We'll be back to the 4-4-2 next week with Craigen and Sibbs on the wings.

I don't think there's a lot of goals in the 4 though. Baird is done. Lee Miller can't start every week and Austin is raw. Not convinced by him at all so far. McHugh will get 10-15 goals which is fine. 

I liked Hardie  any time I saw him last season. It would just have been an option.

Rankin was an atrocious signing given the circumstances. Not a bad player but the last thing that was needed. 

Still hope there's a loan signing with some excitement attached before the window closes. I can't believe anyone at the club can think the ins and outs this summer have been remotely acceptable . 

6 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I take it you didn't play Kidd at rwb? That is comfortably his next position.

Mixed bag of performances from Kidd so far, Muirhead for me the safer bet as a right back but as an RWB his frailties shown big style yesterday. I personally would've brought Kidd on yesterday as Muirhead was so ineffective.

Its not that big would fill up pretty rapid for a big event on top of normal sunday usage id say.

Cheers, I've got here sharp as f**k so got parked no bother.

Mrs told me it started an hour before it actually does. Deliberate lies IMO

I don't think there's a lot of goals in the 4 though. Baird is done. Lee Miller can't start every week and Austin is raw. Not convinced by him at all so far. McHugh will get 10-15 goals which is fine. 

I liked Hardie  any time I saw him last season. It would just have been an option.

Rankin was an atrocious signing given the circumstances. Not a bad player but the last thing that was needed. 

Still hope there's a loan signing with some excitement attached before the window closes. I can't believe anyone at the club can think the ins and outs this summer have been remotely acceptable . 

Baird isn't done, he's off form and needs dropped. Miller can't start every week, that's why you have another three strikers. Austin is raw but against the so called weaker teams in the division, ie Dumbarton, Ayr United etc has the ability to score goals. And McHugh is a great impact player at this level.

Ideally you'd be looking for more goals from the rest of the team. Sibbald, if played centrally, has the potential to score more than he did last year. Watson scored a few goals from set pieces last year and with Gasperotto/McCracken's height, this is maybe an area we should be focussing on.

Rankin isn't an atrocious signing either but I understand what you mean. We are still lacking that creativity and drive from midfield. I hadn't seen Craigen do anything until yesterday, when guess what? He was played in his natural position, instead of being punted out wide.

Could be a season too far for Baird unfortunately. McHugh always seems to be a better option off the bench and certainly him up front with Baird will never work. Miller is used sparingly and Austin isn't ready to play every week at this level. We might rue giving Baird that extra year on his deal as signing up a shankland or a hardie ,may have been a better option.  The main problem though is goals from midfield. Sibbald will get 3 or 4 if your lucky but whose going to replace the near 20 we lost from Vaulks and Alston? Certainly not Rankin, Kerr or Taiwo and you've got to question Houstons judgement on paying money for Hippo and then him not even getting a sniff of a game. More money wasted it would seem.

God knows why Houston played Muirhead at RWB yesterday. Hes not really a RB never mind an RWB. Kidd looks far better suited to that role than RB so why did we sign him in the first place if your not going to give him a game in that role? If we were signing a RB we should've made sure he was better than Muirhead whose always looked like a make shift one and a decent centrehalf. Its pretty obvious that Rankin was a panic buy from Houston on seeing his captain flogged from underneath him on the eve of the new season. He adds absolutely nothing that we don't have already and the wage would've been far better used on another option.

Personally I would have kept O'Hara too. McHugh is the only real pace we have up front although Austin is really unknown yet.
Baird is slow as is Miller, we are never going to trouble defences with pace.
Most of our goals this season will be in and around the box, don't see us being able to play fast free flowing football (try saying that with a few drinks). O'Hara would have gave us that option. Although in saying that he still hasn't proved much at this level yet

4 hours ago, Deefiant said:

Heading to Grangemouth Sports complex today. What's the parking like?

Be a pretty big event

If it's a pretty big event they'll probably have opened the gates for parking at Grangemouth High which is just a few minutes' walk away.

EDIT: Nope, hang on, I misread and thought it said the Stadium and not the Sports Complex.

Not a massive amount of parking at the Sports Complex but plenty of street parking with no restrictions within a few minutes' walk.

Edited by Gaz

Cheers, I've got here sharp as f**k so got parked no bother.

Mrs told me it started an hour before it actually does. Deliberate lies IMO

Getting you out the house so she can nail your best mate