The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I notice that Rankin has taken a pay cut to join Queens. You've really got to ask what Houston and the bod were doing signing him on the wages he was on with us when he's clearly happy to play for Queens for less. 

When you consider that he had 6 months left with us and got 18 months at Queens, then the term "pay cut" is pretty meaningless. For all we know he could be getting a tenner less a week - but will now be getting it for three times longer than before.

This may just be good PR on someone's part; it doesn't tell us enough to draw any conclusions from IMO. Or are the actual figures given anywhere?  

When you consider that he had 6 months left with us and got 18 months at Queens, then the term "pay cut" is pretty meaningless. For all we know he could be getting a tenner less a week - but will now be getting it for three times longer than before.

This may just be good PR on someone's part; it doesn't tell us enough to draw any conclusions from IMO. Or are the actual figures given anywhere?  

The interesting part for me here is it was Rankin who instigated the move. Here was me thinking PH had realised he'd made a mistake signing him, took some radical action in a bid to revive our fortunes on the park...But No!

All the best to Join Rankin, what a total waste of a wage over the last 6 months.

Houston really does seem lost since he has let go of Levein's coat tails, It was so surprising that he wasn't head hunted by Levein following Neilson's departure.

Aye right!!!

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

If it wasn't for the league's top scorer we'd be sitting in a far worse position so I'd say he's worth whatever amount he's being paid.

Been invisible recently has he not ?...

That an time or playing shit caught up with Lyle too

A day of travelling and smashing news re Rankin. I didn't mind him playing without Kerr, with Kerr a fkin mess of a unit. His passing range also very poor. We have half a dozen centre mids at a push, so no real loss.

Hopefully one in for Saturday for a wee boost, doubt it now at this rate.

4 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Been invisible recently has he not ?...

That an time or playing shit caught up with Lyle too

A day of travelling and smashing news re Rankin. I didn't mind him playing without Kerr, with Kerr a fkin mess of a unit. His passing range also very poor. We have half a dozen centre mids at a push, so no real loss.

Hopefully one in for Saturday for a wee boost, doubt it now at this rate.

Yeah, just the 4 goals in the last 5 games

21 minutes ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Fully aware of that. However I'd think he will be centre-half along with Gaspo. I'd imagine Grant will be gone before the start of the season too.

Fair enough. I don't think he's ever played there for us though, and Watson was signed as a centre half 6 months after Muirhead arrived. That kind of suggests to me that Houston doesn't see him in the CH role. I may be wrong; I guess we'll find out next season.

26 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

The interesting part for me here is it was Rankin who instigated the move. Here was me thinking PH had realised he'd made a mistake signing him, took some radical action in a bid to revive our fortunes on the park...But No!

Sorry to nitpick, but we don't actually know that. The wording of our official statement began "John came to me earlier in the week for a chat" which INFERS that Rankin instigated the move, but for all we know Houston could have instigated it by inviting Rankin to come and talk about his future. 

In fact, if you look at the quote from Naismith on the QOS site (link below) it could be read as suggesting that Houston initiated the move by his conversation with Naismith and then asked Rankin to come in for a chat afterwards. Given that Rankin trebled his contract duration by moving clubs, it was pretty much a no-brainer for him.

http://www.qosfc.com/news-3440

None of that really matters now, but the point I'm making is there's not enough evidence to condemn Houstons' actions here. If anything, the evidence appears to suggest the opposite. In my opinion anyway.

42 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Sorry to nitpick, but we don't actually know that. The wording of our official statement began "John came to me earlier in the week for a chat" which INFERS that Rankin instigated the move, but for all we know Houston could have instigated it by inviting Rankin to come and talk about his future. 

In fact, if you look at the quote from Naismith on the QOS site (link below) it could be read as suggesting that Houston initiated the move by his conversation with Naismith and then asked Rankin to come in for a chat afterwards. Given that Rankin trebled his contract duration by moving clubs, it was pretty much a no-brainer for him.

http://www.qosfc.com/news-3440

None of that really matters now, but the point I'm making is there's not enough evidence to condemn Houstons' actions here. If anything, the evidence appears to suggest the opposite. In my opinion anyway.

That's exactly what I wanted to say but to be honest I couldn't be arsed typing it all out. Thank you. 

Houston will never win with some of our fans. They whinge when he signs the wrong players, rightly, but then hang him for appearing not to be the one who instigated a conversation. FFS give him some credit for trying to sort out his mess. Cup Final and last season I think he has earned the right to sort it.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Yeah, just the 4 goals in the last 5 games

Yep against teams that are bottom end of the form guide.

He was scoring every week at first, not so now....

Not doubting his ability but the Dobbie flags out appeal seem to have whimpered of recent