The Falkirk FC Thread

34 minutes ago, LondonBairn said:

I'm not sure how you've reached that conclusion. Haskins and Cardle aside, they've signed no one of quality. Hazard is a bombscare of a goalkeeper.

Not sure how you reached that conclusion after signing Osman and the rest of the garbage additions this window. 

23 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Incredible job? Honestly?
Comparing him with Hartley is like night and day, but comparing him with most Championship managers he’s pretty decent but nothing remarkable imo.

He's managed to get points on the board with a squad full of players not good enough for this level. That's incredible in my view. 

His signings are also looking good at this early stage.

Who would you rather have?

Edited by LondonBairn

He's managed to get points on the board with a squad full of players not good enough for this level. That's incredible in my view. 

Agree with much of this actually. However we were suffering from such unbelievable levels of management incompetence, that I think we could only improve under a decent manager.
I also think we’ve acquired a mixed bag of players, some looking very good, others at the opposite extreme. It’s probably too early to judge them all tbf.
I still think 9th, perhaps 8th, is possible with this team, although I think we have a much much tougher battle on our hands than this time last year.
However, I think we have a decent manager. Whether he is deemed outstanding rather depends on us avoiding relegation then challenging for the Championship next season imo...

All I care about is getting another striker in. Rudden needs help, and if he gets injured/suspended we are so, so fucked. I will genuinely be apoplectic with rage if we don't sign another forward.

Whilst the right-back issue is crucial and it is baffling it hasn't been sorted yet, if we are going to sign one of the two, it has to be a striker.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

5 minutes ago, LondonBairn said:

The signings pre this window other than Rudden have been meh and it's too early to judge the current ones albeit initial improvement albeit we have had two games defensive as per previous and one game more open where we couldn't defend.

Ray has done a good job so far in a difficult situation but the bigger judgement by most will happen now with his players, formations and tactics.

I really want a decent right back in but the level of striker we bring in will probably make or break us

If Mckinnon keeps us up he will have done a great job.  Im not so sure he is good enough to win a championship title though. Couldnt manage it with Utd on a bigger budget. If we go down i'd give him a dozen games to see if he can have us hitting the ground running. If not bin him. 

The next 48 hours might change everyone’s thinking, but it’s a helluva thing to sign 10 players yet completely fail to address the two glaring deficiencies of no support for Rudden, and no RB.

It looks as though Burgoyne, McKenna, Nixon and McShane are on the money, with Waddington looking good for an hour or so. Osman might come good, but equally, he might not be up for it. I think McLean will be inconsistent (and always has been).

DKD is a real talent, but are we going to give the lad a real run out? I guess Lavery might be in much the same position. The magic ingredient might well come from converting Tommy Robson into an attacking midfielder, but we don’t have a lot of time to do it.

Falkirk fans loved Hartley because he wasn't Houston. Now they love McKinnon because he's not Hartley. When McKinnon starts next season poorly, after revamping the squad once again in the summer, they'll love the next guy because he's not McKinnon.

I think Ray should get the whole of next season, even if you go down (which I don't think you will) as he has plenty of experience in that league.

The vast majority of what we have signed in this window are a huge, huge improvement on what we had previously. The only one that hasn't looked the business is Osman. DKD and Lavery haven't really had a proper run out yet but have looked promising so far. MacLean struggling a little but has contributed to two goals. We do still badly need another striker and I am confident the #rayvolution will deliver us one before the window closes. 

9 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Falkirk fans loved Hartley because he wasn't Houston. Now they love McKinnon because he's not Hartley. When McKinnon starts next season poorly, after revamping the squad once again in the summer, they'll love the next guy because he's not McKinnon.

Overall Houston was a good manager. The problem was that in the last couple of years  he seemed to go for the easy signings rather than putting in the work to get better, and in the end his recruitment of the likes of Harris / Rankin / Craigen, never mind the new contracts for the likes of Shepherd,  came home to roost.  

We liked Hartley at first because he offered a clearout of those who had already proven to be not good enough. He did well at this time last year but after his abysmal summer recruitment he simply had to go. 

We like McKinnon because he quickly recognised the poor players for what they were, has recruited ones who appear to be better, and most importantly of all - has the Morton fans in a state of continual apoplexy.

That'll do for me. :thumsup2

14 hours ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Dan Turner for being unable to get game time amongst the worst group of forwards the club has ever had.

Marcus Haber for being the least interested player I've ever seen, and also managing to get shorter when jumping for a ball. Always a good trick, that.

Dennon Lewis for the twin abilities of a winger that can't run with a ball and a striker that couldn't shoot. Also such a shitebag that A Harris, Esq tells jokes about him.

Tom Owen-Evans for just being a literal football vacuum. Did nothing at all.

Enjoyed reading this x

Dobbie almost always puts us to the sword. Saturday will be no different.  Not sure if he will bag another hat trick but he'll score.  It would also be nice if QoS were a bit tired after their exploits last night, but they will prob start on the front foot and have us under pressure from the get go. We seem incapable of doing that to teams and its only when we go a goal down that you can see coming a mile away do we start trying to get into the game. That needs to stop and we need to start playing without the hand brake on. 

Don't really buy the "players won't want to come to us" argument.

If you pay enough they will. Players rightly value money over league pos. You just have to overpay unfortunately if you are in the shit.

I'd do that for a striker. If we were willing to pay £2k a week say we'd get someone decent. It's a gamble but so is going past the window with this squad which is competitive but not good enough. 

It's been great seeing a lot of the real shit leave, and we are in a much better position, but I don't think we've replaced them well enough, at this stage. 

6 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I think Ray should get the whole of next season, even if you go down (which I don't think you will) as he has plenty of experience in that league.

We all wish we could be as intelligent as you. 

We've signed ten players and if we get the ones we're targeting over the next two days it will take our recruitment into the teens. That would suggest that substantial monies have indeed been made available.
The hard part, as you allude to, is finding the quality needed at this time of year. RM has looked at what feels like dozens and dozens of players. Every time I went into the club in recent months there seemed to be new faces walking about.
I don't know if we'll secure any more or when they'll happen but I do know it's not through lack of trying. And forwards are at the top of the "wanted" list.

He has had 5 months to find a CH. It worries me if this is the best he can come up with. But we will see