The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Competent unexciting signings so far (Tidser being the exception). In truth, we were never going to do  Rangers or a Livingston Launderers and maintain a wholly championship squad come what may.

Except every player that’s signed/re signed so far has been championship quality

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's confirmed as signing a 2 year deal with us. McGhee that is.

He will be a squad player, but doubt if he will be one of your top performers. Decent player, no doubt, but is regularly caught out defensively when his concentration goes walkabout.

1 minute ago, LatapyBairn said:

Except every player that’s signed/re signed so far has been championship quality

Garbage from you yet again Edi. No-one in the Championship has the slightest interest in Connolly.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Competent unexciting signings so far (Tidser being the exception). In truth, we were never going to do  Rangers or a Livingston Launderers and maintain a wholly championship squad come what may.

I reckon the BoD were looking for us to be “competitive” rather than setting us up to steamroller the league. Tidser is the one bit of undoubted quality so far, and we need a few more that are capable of better things than L1.

McKinnon knows he is in the last chance saloon as a manager, and he is dealing with a BoD that really aren’t particularly fussed despite their protestations to the contrary.

That they set a budget that didn’t give us a starting eleven tells its own story. That they then make a statement saying they have upped the budget so that we can actually have a team on the park is quite amazing.

I don’t think anyone is expecting us to have more than we can afford, but what we can afford shouldn’t have a high percentage set aside for the BoD to fritter away covering up their screw ups.

I've never rated Tidser tbh, one good game and the last game he simply picked of how bad we were.

Morton fans state he is better in a more advanced role, yet last game and previous games had him more of a sitting mid spraying side to side passes, the Ray Wilkins effect.

Tidser is a coup considering our level but £s and a bit of McKinnon is why he is here.

Tidser on paper is failed Celtic, looked good for Morton fans, failed England, loaned to SPL ended up back at Morton.

3 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

He will be a squad player, but doubt if he will be one of your top performers. Decent player, no doubt, but is regularly caught out defensively when his concentration goes walkabout.

Didn't realise he was only 22. Seems to have been around for years. What's his best position?

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Didn't realise he was only 22. Seems to have been around for years. What's his best position?

Left sided centre back I guess, but he isn’t particularly tall. 

21 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think he's a good signing for you lot as he'll play where he should have been playing his full time with us, at centre back. Never really showed how good he was for us but I put that down to him never really regularly playing centre back as he was always shifted out to right back due to the fact we at Falkirk have retired the right back position since Kieran Duffie left us. Big, relatively quick right footed centre back who can play a bit. Put an experienced centre half in beside him and he'll do well.

5 minutes ago, BairnNecessity said:

Never really showed how good he was for us but I put that down to him never really regularly playing centre back as he was always shifted out to right back 

Same at Hearts in the championship

I've asked this question before but does anyone actually know what the script is with Ciaran Dunne? He wasn't on the released list at the end of the season(but then again I don't think any of the youngsters in the reserves were as I can't remember seeing that Scott Reekie's name on the list either) As it stands we have a squad of 8? Surely that means we still have at least 13/14 to bring in whether through loans or permanent signings.

Goalkeepers: Mutch

Defenders: Buchanan & Dixon

Midfielders: Tidser, Mcshane, Mclean, Connolly

Strikers: Laverty

I think he's a good signing for you lot as he'll play where he should have been playing his full time with us, at centre back. Never really showed how good he was for us but I put that down to him never really regularly playing centre back as he was always shifted out to right back due to the fact we at Falkirk have retired the right back position since Kieran Duffie left us. Big, relatively quick right footed centre back who can play a bit. Put an experienced centre half in beside him and he'll do well.
I was never impressed with him at centre back in a back 4. He was at his best when he played in a back 3 as he isn't great at right back either. He's one of those guys where I'd have been happy enough if we signed him, but not too fussed that he's away either

41 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I've never rated Tidser tbh, one good game and the last game he simply picked of how bad we were.

Morton fans state he is better in a more advanced role, yet last game and previous games had him more of a sitting mid spraying side to side passes, the Ray Wilkins effect.

Tidser is a coup considering our level but £s and a bit of McKinnon is why he is here.

Tidser on paper is failed Celtic, looked good for Morton fans, failed England, loaned to SPL ended up back at Morton.

He was sitting deep in the last game at Falkirk due to JJ’s refusal to use him in his best position. McKinnon had him flying at the start of the season. Tidser will comfortably be the best footballer in League 1 next season and if used correctly will have goals and assists in in double figures each. 

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

He was sitting deep in the last game at Falkirk due to JJ’s refusal to use him in his best position. McKinnon had him flying at the start of the season. Tidser will comfortably be the best footballer in League 1 next season and if used correctly will have goals and assists in in double figures each. 

How did the snake set up with you lot at the start of last season?

4-4-2 with Tidser roaming, Telfer sitting and Mclean on the wing or was it a 4-5-1?

Tidser is the sort of player you'll notice and appreciate more when he's playing for your team compared to watching him for an opponents team. There's no thrills about him but he oozes class rarely seen at championship level and always looks to pass forward.

Ross County fans loved him but he didn't make it at Rotherham. His lack of mobility was always going to hinder him at that level and if I remember correctly Rotherham got promoted to the championship the season after he joined which reduced his chances of success even more. I do remember an Aston villa vs Rotherham cup game on the TV that he absolutely bossed a Premier league midfield while he was on the pitch but that was clearly a one off.

Some players are great for Scottish football but aren't suited elsewhere, mostly always due to mobility. People like Kris Boyd were fine in Scotland but found out elsewhere.

I find too often that Scottish championship fans from my experience judge players ability based on how far they think thry can go in the game when in reality there are players out there who are championship level but still better than most of the players in the league, and I'd say Tidser falls in to that category.

1 hour ago, Ecosse83 said:

If Telfer and Durnan sign then we are building a solid team for League 1. Quite frankly looking at other teams in the league we should really be pissing this league next season and I'm a right pessimistic c**t :lol:

Yea, I think the likes of Buchanan, Dixon, McLean, Connolly, McShane & Durnan (if he comes) will form a solid core to a L1 side. Problem is, McKinnon stated that he wanted to sign players that could have a go at promotion to the Premier the season after and these guys are all signing 2 year deals!

Although I'm happy enough with Dixon re-signing, I would have preferred him on the left of a back 3 with Tommy at LWB. I think he'd have torn this league to pieces, especially at home. Not overly fussed with McGhee leaving but would have preferred him to Durnan TBH. 

How did the snake set up with you lot at the start of last season?
4-4-2 with Tidser roaming, Telfer sitting and Mclean on the wing or was it a 4-5-1?
4-2-3-1 with Tidser the most advanced of a front three and McLean on the left and Telfer on the right.

Telfer never looked that comfortable wide and his lack of mobility and strength hindered him getting involved in games, a trait that stayed with him no matter what position he played until the last few games of the season.

Even after 3 games the lack of actual pace in wide areas was a huge concern for most morton fans and it was something we never really fixed throughout the season. If you go in to next season with McLean and Telfer as your wide players I'd be slightly concerned, although maybe the lower level of opponent will mean its fine.

Surprisingly no other manager has played Tidser in that advanced role before and he was absolutely flying at the beginning of the season. If mckinnon keeps playing him there then he will be involved in the majority of goals you score.