The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Ecosse83
1 hour ago, Senor Bairn said:

Aye, it’ll be extremely difficult to do this though, Dixon on a 2 year deal is extremely strange considering his age.

I have to admit k thought Dixon was older than he is. 32 isn't that old these days!

I suppose Ayr did really well coming up from L1, so clearly, it can be done. Probably if whatever squad he assembles for this season actually wins the league, then it’s quite possible that six or seven of them will form the nucleus of a Championship side the following season, and with the right additions, could well be there or there abouts.

All of that of course, is down to McKinnon’s signings and style of play........two areas where (so far), he hasn’t overly convinced the fan base (particularly his style of football).

Of course, you then have the backdrop of the boardroom caper to contend with.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Perhaps true...but we are offering players 2 year contracts.
Either that’s because he thinks they can push on if we get to the Championship, as per his rash statement, or it’s because it’s the only basis by which Championship level players will be willing to come down a level.
Not sure which I think it is.....

Pretty much this. Canny just hand out 2 year deals to everyone who’s signed. Bloody madness.

I read this thread every day but rarely post - however I am at the stage now that I have a genuine fear for the future of our club! 

We have very few signed players, and very little in terms of backup from youths - we have signed encouraging players (Tidser in particular) with the general sentiment that these players could "do a job" at championship level, however, we are not in the championship anymore and that leads me to question why these players are joining us - are we trying to pay wages that compete with the championship teams so that Ray can sign up his pals, or is he genuinely that good to work with that these players are accepting less wages just to work with him again? 

I have serious reservations about the MSG and board, and think they are too stubborn to just give up the control and the power they have unless it truly benefits them - And lets face it, who really wants to invest in a Scottish 3rd tier team?  I cant see our "potential" being a big enough draw for anyone to invest in us, so I fear we will be stuck with these cretins whilst Ray spends money we dont have signing up his pals on 2 year deals that we simply cant afford.

I hope I'm wrong and somehow we land on our feet and move forward - I'm only 31 so I haven't been through some of the tough times that some of our fans have endured, but I'm genuinely worried that the downward spiral wont just stop anytime soon. 

43 minutes ago, some_guy said:

I read this thread every day but rarely post - however I am at the stage now that I have a genuine fear for the future of our club! 

We have very few signed players, and very little in terms of backup from youths - we have signed encouraging players (Tidser in particular) with the general sentiment that these players could "do a job" at championship level, however, we are not in the championship anymore and that leads me to question why these players are joining us - are we trying to pay wages that compete with the championship teams so that Ray can sign up his pals, or is he genuinely that good to work with that these players are accepting less wages just to work with him again? 

I have serious reservations about the MSG and board, and think they are too stubborn to just give up the control and the power they have unless it truly benefits them - And lets face it, who really wants to invest in a Scottish 3rd tier team?  I cant see our "potential" being a big enough draw for anyone to invest in us, so I fear we will be stuck with these cretins whilst Ray spends money we dont have signing up his pals on 2 year deals that we simply cant afford.

I hope I'm wrong and somehow we land on our feet and move forward - I'm only 31 so I haven't been through some of the tough times that some of our fans have endured, but I'm genuinely worried that the downward spiral wont just stop anytime soon. 

I think there’s plenty of people thinking the same. As a much older person, I never thought I would see the day where some of MSG could completely destroy their own legacy, but that seems to be the direction they are collectively headed, and that is really sad.

None of this is ultimately about the shares or the money. It’s about egos.....just like so many other football club owners. The thought that someone other than themselves could do things better just doesn’t compute.

I think there’s plenty of people thinking the same. As a much older person, I never thought I would see the day where some of MSG could completely destroy their own legacy, but that seems to be the direction they are collectively headed, and that is really sad.
None of this is ultimately about the shares or the money. It’s about egos.....just like so many other football club owners. The thought that someone other than themselves could do things better just doesn’t compute.

Yip agree with both of you this scenario of Ray building a team whilst the MSG ponders is a difficult one to swallow. Anyone coming in would surely want to have their neb in player recruitment that’s surely the point of getting involved- We need to give up on the concept that anyone is wanting to INVEST in the real sense , I can’t think of a worse investment than Scottish football so it’s either about using us as a showcase for players or as a money laundering scam Why are the MSG not taking the deal from Kenny and David if they have the clubs future as a priority. Trying to secure a deal whereby a buyer will commit to investing in the club in the future is total nonsense - Why on earth would anyone agree to that ?

Yip agree with both of you this scenario of Ray building a team whilst the MSG ponders is a difficult one to swallow. Anyone coming in would surely want to have their neb in player recruitment that’s surely the point of getting involved- We need to give up on the concept that anyone is wanting to INVEST in the real sense , I can’t think of a worse investment than Scottish football so it’s either about using us as a showcase for players or as a money laundering scam Why are the MSG not taking the deal from Kenny and David if they have the clubs future as a priority. Trying to secure a deal whereby a buyer will commit to investing in the club in the future is total nonsense - Why on earth would anyone agree to that ?

The possibility of something underhand in such an investment exists, but it’s a pretty cynical view you hold.

I think I saw that one of the bidders were interested in building in the land surrounding the stadium so it’s not necessarily impossible to make money.

However, all said, I’m growing concerned re who would takeover and what their approach might be. A bit of me is coming around to ‘better the devil you know’ despite the levels of gross incompetence in recent seasons.

I actually don’t know if I really know where I stand on all of this anymore.

Pd. I haven’t renewed yet either....

The possibility of something underhand in such an investment exists, but it’s a pretty cynical view you hold.
I think I saw that one of the bidders were interested in building in the land surrounding the stadium so it’s not necessarily impossible to make money.
However, all said, I’m growing concerned re who would takeover and what their approach might be. A bit of me is coming around to ‘better the devil you know’ despite the levels of gross incompetence in recent seasons.
I actually don’t know if I really know where I stand on all of this anymore.
Pd. I haven’t renewed yet either....

Unfortunately the current MSG aren’t I interested in getting their hands dirty so if they did stay on the same structure of appointing chairman or CEO to run the show would continue even although we have plenty of evidence that even going back to George Craig it just doesn’t work The guy running the show has to have his cash on the line for a good outcome.
I’m not certain buying or developing the land next to the stadium requires ownership of the club unless we have some ownership of that .Would be great if we did ! This is a critical moment in the clubs history. From the outside we look like a premier league club but peel back the orange peel and we are vulnerable. The season ticket holders effectively own the club and they need to send a strong message that they will stand resolute in denying the board funds unless they come to heel ! No pain no gain it’s not about the short term team on the park it’s about ensuring we have a future we can support .

Seems like we’re building a fairly solid/average Championship team which in theory should walk this league. Of course there’s still many more signings to go but think some people need to remember what level we’re at.

We’ve also had people complaining about having to build a new squad every summer and now we’re handing out 2 year deals that’s not good enough either. I think we’ve shown over the last couple of seasons that length of contract is kind of irrelevant. Last summer Petravicius, Paton, Dallison and Lewis all signed 2 year deals and none will be playing with us next season kind of proves that.

4 hours ago, Russ said:

Petravicius, Paton, Dallison and Lewis all signed 2 year deals and none will be playing with us next season kind of proves that.

But surely some of them had some sort of pay off to leave their contracts early as they have been forced out? That’s the issue I have with handing out 2 year deals to everyone. 

14 hours ago, LatapyBairn said:

Excellent news- Dixon is at least a championship quality player and will be excellent for us in league 1. 

Disappointed to lose McGhee as I think he’d have stood out in a better team but quite happy to see Robson go- nowhere near good enough in defence which is no good for a left back.

#EdiBairnBingo

1 minute ago, Hank von Hell said:

#EdiBairnBingo

His prediction came true Robson to leave just a season too late but no doubt he will still claim he was right and his prediction was right ..

8 hours ago, JinkyBairn said:

Pretty much this. Canny just hand out 2 year deals to everyone who’s signed. Bloody madness.

I think McKinnon is trying to build a squad where we have guys sticking around for more than 2/3 months. I'm ok with the 2 year deals. Continuity is the key. He's building for the future. We want to win this league 1st time of asking then consolidate next season with a mid table finish, and build from there. As someone else said, he's getting a nucleus from which to build. This team needs to have similar faces around for 2/3 years so we don't make over 20 signings a year like we have for the past 2. (may be exhaggerating, I don't know the numbers but they are astronomical) 

But surely some of them had some sort of pay off to leave their contracts early as they have been forced out? That’s the issue I have with handing out 2 year deals to everyone. 

I’d imagine we’ve paid to punt Dallison and Lewis. But it looks like we’ve had some sort of beak clause with both Demi and Paton. So who’s to say that some of the current 2 year deals doesn’t include that as well.

I think McKinnon is trying to build a squad where we have guys sticking around for more than 2/3 months. I'm ok with the 2 year deals. Continuity is the key. He's building for the future. We want to win this league 1st time of asking then consolidate next season with a mid table finish, and build from there. As someone else said, he's getting a nucleus from which to build. This team needs to have similar faces around for 2/3 years so we don't make over 20 signings a year like we have for the past 2. (may be exhaggerating, I don't know the numbers but they are astronomical) 
Exactly this. Looking back at his interview after the last game, I get the impression that he was talking about continuity as signing a new squad every season isn't working.

I'm hoping he signs some young unknowns who will turn out to be great finds.

If we work off the assumption that we end up with Durnan and Telfer.... Tidser and McShane can both start in a championship winning team. I think Dixon could too. Durnan could start for a team well up in the Championship (he did with Utd) but needs to get back to older form. Telfer and Connolly you are maybe looking at backup status.

So far, there is not too much wrong with what he have (clearly thats not many) so far in terms of a nucleus he is right enough. What we have is able starter or backup IMO.

What remains is a big signing job this season, and next season will be fairly big too but the idea is that the size of these jobs gets smaller each window. Theres 3 transfer windows to go before we can even consider Championship football again.