The Falkirk FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Our signings so far have been a bit above my expectations.  At league 1 level what can we really expect?  I think this is the time to concentrate on the job ahead of us this year, to win the league and worry about the next couple of years later.  Signing steady known faces who have played decently at higher levels is fine by me after signing any random unproven player the past couple of years and hoping for the best.

Throw in a couple of on-the-rise young players and I think we'll end up with a better team than the past two years in the championship.

Wouldn't be difficult mind you but McKinnons not a risk taker. For this season a bit of a pragmatic approach should do.

We do need 3/4 youthful flair players who can change a game though.

Wouldn't be difficult mind you but McKinnons not a risk taker. For this season a bit of a pragmatic approach should do.
 We do need 3/4 youthful flair players who can change a game though.
Someone with a serious fucking engine in them in midfield would be beautiful for a change

19 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Our signings so far have been a bit above my expectations.  At league 1 level what can we really expect?  

None of the signings have been above my expectations, only Tidser is the surprise one but I thought he would still sign for us.

Is it any surprise any of our signings have ended up at a full time league one team ?

18 minutes ago, port-ton said:
2 hours ago, MrDust said:
This was the drivel Morton fans were spouting how good Tidser was and what his options were when leaving the first time regarding his level.
The peak of his career so far is to look good for Morton fans twice and given the above claims, I'm currently checking if a glue factory is close by to cappielow.

Well just like most balls punted up towards Mckenna and The Edge last season my post has clearly went over your head.

Tidser could've played top 6 in the EPL.... Thanks for that

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
15 minutes ago, Rocco said:
We won't be able to sign 20 players who will all be championship level. We'll need guys who will be good enough to get us out of league 1 then replace them in the summer with guys capable of competing at the top of the championship.

Yep. We need to take a sensible approach. If we need twenty in this season, lets make sure its only ten next season. Some only need to be good enough to be a League 1 sqaud player. How anyone expects a two seaaon plan to mean we sign nothing but Championship winning calibre now is beyond me.

It was a stupid thing for him to say he was signing players that could play in the premier league, was never going to happen. Let's get re promoted then take stock of what we have. If we start with a core of 3 - 4 players that could get us in the premier we will have done very well. He has gone for experience at centre backs and midfield. Get an experienced pro at centre forward then we have a spine of a side. Mutch will start in goals it about time we produced our own goalkeeper. George Watson was the last one and 30 years is disgrace.

39 minutes ago, Trump said:

Think people are forgetting what league we are in when we are signing these players.

‘Ah but Housty would have got slagged if he signed them!!?!’ Aye you’re right, we were aiming to win the championship with him, not league one.

‘These players won’t get us double promotion!!?!’ Apart from Livingston name me one team in the last 10 years that has gained double promotion from league one? We were a terrible championship team for the past two years.

100% correct. We're in league fucking one.

Again Gomis is absolutely fine at this level. He’s someone who’s legs have probably gone for the Championship but should stroll League 1. After the shitshow last summer I really don’t see any issues at all with Ray getting together a core of experienced players that he knows and trusts.

Don’t get people complaining about us signing another centre mid either. With no actual reserve squad to speak of we will need a first team squad of minimum 21/22. So if it looks like we’re going 4-2-3-1 as our main formation then obviously we’re going to need more than just 3 midfielders.

Mind we’ll still have a good 4 or 5 loans to come in probably closer to the start of the season.

The signings he’s made (so far) are more than decent for League 1. Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves and concentrate on getting out this league before anything else.

If he does indeed bring in Telfer, Durnan, Gillespie, Bell & Doolan then we are very strong favourites for this league & McKinnon needs to start well.

Just now, HopeStreetWalker said:

It was a stupid thing for him to say he was signing players that could play in the premier league, was never going to happen. Let's get re promoted then take stock of what we have. If we start with a core of 3 - 4 players that could get us in the premier we will have done very well. He has gone for experience at centre backs and midfield. Get an experienced pro at centre forward then we have a spine of a side. Mutch will start in goals it about time we produced our own goalkeeper. George Watson was the last one and 30 years is disgrace.

Most of the guys we have signed so far have either played in the premier league or have experience of a similar level.  Connolly played in the premiership with united, tidser has played at league one and in the premier, Gomis has played top flight football with United, hearts and motherwell, Dixon has  an international cap. Buchanan is the only guy signed so far that hasnt played at that level. 

Darren Hill was home grown if I remember right and played 40 games for the club.

Anyone wanting us to sign young players is kidding themselves. Why would any decent young player sign for us at this level and no point in signing shite just because they're young.

5 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

The signings he’s made (so far) are more than decent for League 1. Let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves and concentrate on getting out this league before anything else.

If he does indeed bring in Telfer, Durnan, Gillespie, Bell & Doolan then we are very strong favourites for this league & McKinnon needs to start well.

Name dropping Doolan there you teasing minx. Surely not.