The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Neil Duffy. He was always that tiny wee bit of commitment away from being spectacularly good.

He was a top player with us big Cornelius. A real bear that could play in virtually any position at the back and in the middle.  Jeffries signed him for peanuts and then sold him to dundee for Jamie McGowan, big ristic and a few quid as well which like the vast majority of JJ's transfer dealings was a very good move.

Sure he left to play in America or Canada at the end of that season it was always on the cards that move for him anyway or was common knowledge at the time.

I certainly don’t hold any grudges against the guy. He gave us the same commitment on the park as he gave anyone else he played for. He knew his own worth, that’s for sure.

Didn't help that he bailed out during our relegation year . We only won one more game out of our last 16 after he bugged off.

To be fair his choice was move to a new career in Kansas or stay at a Falkirk team dying under Lambie.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Aye your right there think I got mixed up with the fact it was only a 36 game season and not a 44 which we'd played when there was 12 in the top flight back in those days so he actually only missed 5 games.  I remember we played killie and beat them 4 2 with finnigan and iorfa etc. We then played celtic at home and drew nothing each before a narrow defeat ar easter road.  The complete numpty that lambie was then swapped the excellent Kirk for the completely useless Ally Graham and we never won another game. That was one of the worst swaps in the history of the bloody club .  Mind you that was just one on a series of terrible swaps around those seasons. Weir for berry and hamilton being another cracker.

Shadwell. Got a swop that trumps yours.  Bryce for Robinson.  Within 2 years the guy played for Scotland ! don't think Bryce got a first team game. Remember him on the bench but never the starting 11. 

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Hah!
His hair was almost taller than he was!

Paul had a brother who played at the same time for Meadowbank Thistle.  I remember being at the Meadowbank stadium sometime in the 70's and both brothers were playing that day against each other.

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I certainly don’t hold any grudges against the guy. He gave us the same commitment on the park as he gave anyone else he played for. He knew his own worth, that’s for sure.

Neither do i for his time at the club was a great servant and even it was the latter stages of his career still had that bit of class about him same as Stainrod, i was kind of wondering about shadwells comment as i was pretty sure myself he seen the season out with us.

38 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Neither do i for his time at the club was a great servant and even it was the latter stages of his career still had that bit of class about him same as Stainrod, i was kind of wondering about shadwells comment as i was pretty sure myself he seen the season out with us.

To be honest I've tried my best to forget that whole season so everything about it's a bit hazy.

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Shadwell. Got a swop that trumps yours.  Bryce for Robinson.  Within 2 years the guy played for Scotland ! don't think Bryce got a first team game. Remember him on the bench but never the starting 11. 

That well may have been the worst deal ever. I was only 13 or 14 at the time but remember wondering why the hell we were letting Robinson leave. Bryce wasn't very good although Better Meddle says that he started 7 games and was sub in 1.

19 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

That well may have been the worst deal ever. I was only 13 or 14 at the time but remember wondering why the hell we were letting Robinson leave. Bryce wasn't very good although Better Meddle says that he started 7 games and was sub in 1.

Theres been a number of crazy deals over the years. Letting Brian Martin go for 25k to hamilton for instance was just ridiculous.  That was one of the best things about Jeffries. There were few players he released that ended up playing a lot better elsewhere Colin Cramb is one of the few I can remember.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

8 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Shagger. Here are two you will remember. Alex Beckett and John Young.  Both freed by Prentice signed by Cunningham at St Mirren and were fixtures there for the rest of their career.

Beckett in particular became a hero among many Saints fans but hardly played for us. 

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Often wondered on Cunningham's thinking on moving Robinson on. The conclusion I came to that he saw Somner-Harley-McLeod coming through and hoped he was getting a player to replace Alex Scott who was in his last season. 

41 minutes ago, keithgy said:

Our worse ever swap was Stevie Kirk for Ally Fucking Graham

Defo the worst in my years of following falkirk.  As I said Davie Weir for hamilton and was it nelson or berry cant quite remember comes a close second. In Jeffries walking down hope street podcast he said he had no money at hearts but still managed to get all our best players which summed up few that couple of seasons.

We do have a history of replacing someone good with something a lot worse. Kirk-Graham; Stokes-Finnigan (though that was quite hard to gauge tbf); Vaulks-Rankin. More recently Rudden-Jarvis. I’m no football manager but surely a little more care (there might be a drop off in quality still), could make a big difference. To the point of surviving a relegation battle and staying in a league and build for the following season.

50 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Defo the worst in my years of following falkirk.  As I said Davie Weir for hamilton and was it nelson or berry cant quite remember comes a close second. In Jeffries walking down hope street podcast he said he had no money at hearts but still managed to get all our best players which summed up few that couple of seasons.

I had a lot of time for Jeffries and if he had just went i am going to Hearts then i could have handled that but to tell the fans standing at the back of the main stand he was staying only to change his mind less than 24 hours later was bad patter,Oh and don't start me on baw bag Lambie.