The Falkirk FC Thread

6 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

We are well down the pecking order for loan players. The clubs will be looking for clubs where they will be tested and pushed against players that bit better and experienced than they are.

Like it or not there are better options than FFC for the standard of player we are looking for. We can look no further than players that are getting punted at the end of the season. Tricky bit is spotting the gems that are out there.

Other clubs have been able to do it though.  It's all about having a manager with the right contacts and the will to put the man hours in to uncover these players and persuade them Falkirk is the right place to be.  It helps if you can build up a reputation for giving young talent a chance but then most of the young loaners we get in seem to be lucky to make the bench.

55 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Other clubs have been able to do it though.  It's all about having a manager with the right contacts and the will to put the man hours in to uncover these players and persuade them Falkirk is the right place to be.  It helps if you can build up a reputation for giving young talent a chance but then most of the young loaners we get in seem to be lucky to make the bench.

That's the problem we don't have any reputation any longer for giving young talent a chance since we ditched the academy.

4 hours ago, MrDust said:

How do we know what players we have asked for on loan, Miller was at Ibrox before our season started for one reason or another.

The players that Rangers have sent to both Clyde and Partick obviously are not wanted a league up or they wouldve been there, couldnt see them sending Kennedy or Mayo to the third tier and Celtic havent loaned anyone to this tier. 

Cochrane was heralded as the next big thing at Hearts and if being a star in this league is being subbed at half time or subbed 2/3 of a game in then he must have a cigar in his mouth every game/have a tag on that he must be home for a certain time or perhaps not performing in a poor league to warrant 90 mins. 

I am sure Bainsford bairn quoted some of the loans from the top league were available at a cost of around £500 a week for players who hadnt even kicked a first team ball. Partick have got a keeper out their two from Rangers and a 4th choice centre back and three crocks from probably the most experienced manager in the league. We cant depend on the loan market in tier 3 more so this season with the pandemic.

You asked for examples of key loans this season and I gave you 5 players we could have easily had on loan if we had actually been doing our recruitment correctly. We don't need to depend on the loan market i'm just saying we need to utilise it much better. You think Montrose are paying £500 a week for Cochrane, Mochrie and Ballantyne? Come off it. 

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Talk of the English Prem being suspended. Saying before the Utd  v Wolves game that it will be for 2 weeks initially. We need to stay top incase the same thing happens up here.

No doubt, with a view to shafting FFC once again, the season would simply be cancelled. Would suit Lawell after all

37 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

That's the problem we don't have any reputation any longer for giving young talent a chance since we ditched the academy.

Yes so it relies on the management.  No point in getting young players in on loan and not playing them as that doesn't encourage anyone to send players to us. Zak rudden is the only youngster i can think of in recent times that has been a success. Rest have been mainly awful.

2 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Talk of the English Prem being suspended. Saying before the Utd  v Wolves game that it will be for 2 weeks initially. We need to stay top incase the same thing happens up here.

I just read the same thing, Big Sam touting it predictably. Sheff Utd, in terrible form, said they had numerous positive cases yet they made only one change to their line up.  If there was 2 weeks of internationals coming up you can bet UEFA would be getting them played, remember when the Czechs had to field a D team against Scotland. 

What the hell difference is 2 weeks is going to make anyway, the virus will still be there when they start up again.  

6 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

I just read the same thing, Big Sam touting it predictably. Sheff Utd, in terrible form, said they had numerous positive cases yet they made only one change to their line up.  If there was 2 weeks of internationals coming up you can bet UEFA would be getting them played, remember when the Czechs had to field a D team against Scotland. 

What the hell difference is 2 weeks is going to make anyway, the virus will still be there when they start up again.  

Exactly this. 2 week pause would be annoyingly pointless. Would have to be 2 months for it to have any impact at all. All other European leagues have had numerous call offs etc, no talks of pauses there

41 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

I had to laugh when he said Im 66 I don't want to catch covid. What the f**k is he doing taking the job in the first place then. Not as if he's skint or he's never going to get another job offer.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I had to laugh when he said Im 66 I don't want to catch covid. What the f**k is he doing taking the job in the first place then. Not as if he's skint or he's never going to get another just b offer.

A combination of a huge ego and a massive chip on his shoulder.

And pints of wine ain't cheap you know. 

Just listened to the Deans interview there and it's good to hear we're currently interviewing for the director of football position(somebody laughed about that being a thing in the third division of scottish football not so long ago) as we badly need someone in there who's main focus is recruitment and hopefully building relationships with other clubs in order for us to get players in on loan and it means the managers can get on with the playing side of things. Be interesting to hear what positions M&M are looking to strengthen maybe one for the FTV boys to ask in there next managers interview. 

I don't care that we're a third division club looking for a DoF. I want us to be a Premier League club that stays there for a long time and for that to happen, there has to be a plan. It's not enough for chairmen to say "We want to get the club back where it belongs" or somesuch empty words, there have got to be actions. 

Just listened to the Deans interview there and it's good to hear we're currently interviewing for the director of football position(somebody laughed about that being a thing in the third division of scottish football not so long ago) as we badly need someone in there who's main focus is recruitment and hopefully building relationships with other clubs in order for us to get players in on loan and it means the managers can get on with the playing side of things. Be interesting to hear what positions M&M are looking to strengthen maybe one for the FTV boys to ask in there next managers interview. 

So we got rid of our Academy which was I believe costing something of the nature of 100-150k per annum but we can afford to appoint a DoF during COVID times with no cash coming in?
We were also complaining that we are only getting in 150k of the free government handouts that are being offered to allow clubs to survive.
Frankly, I can’t help but feel there are better ways to spend our cash........

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

You asked for examples of key loans this season and I gave you 5 players we could have easily had on loan if we had actually been doing our recruitment correctly. We don't need to depend on the loan market i'm just saying we need to utilise it much better. You think Montrose are paying £500 a week for Cochrane, Mochrie and Ballantyne? Come off it. 

I asked for the loan stars in the 3rd division, two crocks and three Montrose players you gave me with one you have judged to be a loan star on highlights as much as the other two. 

Hoti at Forfar looked decent against us but like a lot of the loans in this division, they are untried players who will be hit or miss none of them are in the calibre of McManus from last season

I used an example within a previous post from Bainsford bairn who said the club were quoted from I think an old firm club for £500 a week to loan an untried player, So I obviously said Montrose are paying £500 for each loan player. If we had went for any of the Montrose loan players, I would expect us to be covering more of their wage than Montrose, its generally how it works and  in probability how we couldve lost McManus because of clubs sniffing in January offering more money to Ross County.

We wont utilise the loan market in the 3rd division unless we pay big money, our two loans are done on the cheap and we may strike it lucky with that process but more than likely squad players. Partick tried to splash cash on two loan deals but that ended in failure, the rest is a keeper who was challenging with another untried keeper for no1 and 2 squad players

I just dont expect us to get much in from the loan market in the 3rd division without getting lucky with an untried youngster, McManus was the exception for this league

You just know that unless more than 50% of fixtures have been played, they will null and void the bottom three tiers. I can just see it coming........and it’s a lovely opportunity for Doncaster .to kick Hearts and Partick in the baws with us as the collateral damage.
Lawwell won’t complain, and he will accept coming a distant second rather than being 15 or 20 points adrift.

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

I'd like to know what a DoF at Falkirk's day to day tasks are out with the transfer windows. If his main focus is recruitment what is he going to be doing Feb-April for instance, sitting with his feet up or will the role be combined with another.  Would make sense for him (or her) to get started with putting in place the foundations of a new youth academy, if that's the case then a certainly welcome it.