The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Any other info on the bounce game? Trialists? Formations? 

You can pretty much guarantee it was a 5-3-2.  There was an extremely blurry picture on the facebook page but you can't really make anybody out from it and a few people have been saying it finished 2-1 to St Johnstone.

Guest TedCrilly
3 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

You can pretty much guarantee it was a 5-3-2.  There was an extremely blurry picture on the facebook page but you can't really make anybody out from it and a few people have been saying it finished 2-1 to St Johnstone.

Your formation guess was right. Jaime Wilson and Leigh Griffiths deployed as wingbacks.

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Joking aside, the guy may well turn out to be ok at RWB. Having, presumably, never played as a defender before though...

He played at RWB for Dumbarton v Aberdeen last season and was arguably Dumbartons best player on the day, he also played there in the last CDG against Livingston and apparently had a really good game, I can only assume he is starting the game against St Johnstone in the same position of RWB.

54 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Apparently it was a draw so I'd say 1-1 or 2-2 most likely 

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Fwiw, Mutch in goal. A back 3 the includes Watson and Dixon. Il leave Rennie to call who is best between Mills, ATS and Mckay. Williamson and McCann at WB. Jacobs and Telfer in the middle with Kabia playing just in front of them, supporting Dowds and Griffiths. 

Unfortunate for Morrison but we are playing 3 at the back it seems. And on that basis, Morrison isnt a better option anywhere on the park than those who I have starting. 

Morrison I think personally is a wide player, 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. His greatest strength is his pace running behind or with the ball, his crossing is a mixed bag on his right foot, his left is a by kick. I don't think 3-5-2 suits him and the only option in that is up top. I think when M&M gave him a wide role but license to roam was a purple patch for him but he did still have wide role albeit not in a strict manner, then Holt came in and had us playing the most rigid 4-5-1 I've seen us play.

Managers need a bit of luck along the way but what shines through is if they can ride the waves, everyone of our managers including Houston couldn't and we had blind love in from the board with Elvis for me. I'm hoping we can ride those waves with Rennie, only time will tell.

We do need a bit stability tho, I for one thought rock bottom was with McKinnon getting relegated but Sheerin reached a new low, it felt ok throwing the towel with Lambie/Collins in the top league but in the third division should never have that same train of thought with Sheerin.

6 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Hopefully Griffiths and a few others get some much needed minutes under their belts today.

I'd like to see Mills given another chance as I didn't think he was bad in the Montrose game but Cove's obviously not the game to experiment. 

The final piece of the puzzle, for this season at least, is an energetic midfielder so hopefully we'll see one in before Cove.

Playing McKay for me is still an experiment 😂

7 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

Even the best teams in the world have poor halfs of football at some stage, the problem is not solely limited to Falkirk

It's happening nearly very week though. Alloa wasn't a one off. The best sides aren't shite in the first half all the time.

Quite enjoyed the Rennie interview, if anyone wants a listen without giving their cash to Spiers then I could use screen record to send the audio. 

I got told that we were 2-0 down to St Johnstone and "chasing shadows" - didn't hear anything after that though.  The thought of playing 2 strikers (I use that term very loosely in regards to Wilson) as wingbacks seems mental if true though, I'm sure theres a reason if so, in Rennie we trust! 

Fuxakes. You go into a game with a plan but the problem is, there's another team out there who also have a plan. Sometimes they're set up to stifle your plan so you have to change yours.

This really shouldn't be difficult to work out.

Guest TedCrilly
12 minutes ago, some_guy said:

Quite enjoyed the Rennie interview, if anyone wants a listen without giving their cash to Spiers then I could use screen record to send the audio. 

I got told that we were 2-0 down to St Johnstone and "chasing shadows" - didn't hear anything after that though.  The thought of playing 2 strikers (I use that term very loosely in regards to Wilson) as wingbacks seems mental if true though, I'm sure theres a reason if so, in Rennie we trust! 

I was kidding regarding Griffiths as someone previously suggested playing him left mid. I think it was Cammy Williamson and Jaime Wilson as the wingbacks. Ompreon with our goal (I think).

The best sides aren't shite in the first half all the time.

I’d need to get a more up to date sample. However up to 9th January 2022:

- 80% of Cove Rangers goals scored had came in the second half
- 48% of Cove Rangers goals scored had came in from 75 minutes onwards

They’re quite clearly the best side in the league, and even they don’t do their best work until the second half.

I’m sure it’s not a deliberate ploy by Hartley, but that’s how it works out the vast majority of football games. Granted I’ve not watched all their games to know their performance level, but imagine many have similar half time results to ours against Alloa.

35 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Fuxakes. You go into a game with a plan but the problem is, there's another team out there who also have a plan. Sometimes they're set up to stifle your plan so you have to change yours.

For most people.

33 minutes ago, Trump said:

I’d need to get a more up to date sample. However up to 9th January 2022:

- 80% of Cove Rangers goals scored had came in the second half
- 48% of Cove Rangers goals scored had came in from 75 minutes onwards

They’re quite clearly the best side in the league, and even they don’t do their best work until the second half.

I’m sure it’s not a deliberate ploy by Hartley, but that’s how it works out the vast majority of football games. Granted I’ve not watched all their games to know their performance level, but imagine many have similar half time results to ours against Alloa.

Those stats don't mean for a minute though that cove are murder in the first half and great in the second. All that says is they score more goals probably as sides tire.  We have a huge difference in our level of performance in the second halfs from our first halfs. There must be a reason for that other than that's just what happens. Even on Tues why did it take till half time to sort things out? We didn't change any players so it should've been a simple case of communicating the changes required to the players from the dugout. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's happening nearly very week though. Alloa wasn't a one off. The best sides aren't shite in the first half all the time.

Neither were we though. We were shite for 15/20 mins before half time when we let Alloa high press and fannied around too much at the back. But the first part of the half we matched them and should have been ahead. Then blew them away second half. 

It's a proper rebuild, mind. Rennie inherited a failing squad, he's improved it in the crap window, and is steadying the ship. There’ll be more shite halves and shite performances until he can get a proper preseason, but as long as the improvement continues, that’ll do for me. 

57 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

So every week we have to change our plans at half time because of what the opposition are doing then going by our shite first half showings? You'd think once in a while we'd be the team forcing the other side to change their plans but no ,  The other side have adopted tactics out the blue against us every game which has us scrambling about trying to fix things.  Come on might happen once in a while but not as regular as it's happening to us currently.

12 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Those stats don't mean for a minute though that cove are murder in the first half and great in the second. All that says is they score more goals probably as sides tire.  We have a huge difference in our level of performance in the second halfs from our first halfs. There must be a reason for that other than that's just what happens. Even on Tues why did it take till half time to sort things out? We didn't change any players so it should've been a simple case of communicating the changes required to the players from the dugout. 

Agreed. Simple. Rennie's obviously not the guy for us.