The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 hours ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Quality of the league was so much worse then than it is now. And this season we have had a higher ppg than that season. It genuinely is down to Dunfermline just being very good this season.

Ok let’s look at 20/21 vs now.

Are Forfar that much better than 9th place Kelty? Their points/game is roughly the same but 20% of Kelty’s points this season have been against us. 

Clyde have been dreadful and don’t have Goodwillie.

Montrose and Peterhead are worse teams than they were in 20/21.

Airdrie are roughly the same. 

Cove are better than FC Edinburgh. 

I’ll give you Dunfermline are better than Partick. Alloa are a little better now than East Fife were in 2020/21 and Queen of the South are definitely better than Dumbarton.

You could argue the minutiae of everything but to say it’s a much tougher League this season is a complete fallacy.

AB3A1C58-2F84-48D0-9EE2-C22BE507D948.jpeg

8B268537-8DFF-4C31-A2B4-AB4DFCC56D8F.jpeg

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

You don't say? 🤔

The last time we won 16 games we finished second to Sevco, then Hibs in the Championship. We have no God given right to win this you know, just because we're Falkirk. We're a big fish in a small pond but we've been drowning for years. We're making progress. Yes, it's not as fast as we would all want, of course it's not, but we are making progress. I seems obvious to me that we can't go from being completely shit to completely brilliant. It could have happened certainly, but it surely can't be expected?

We still have 6 games to go so it's likely that we'll win more games this season than who knows when?

* Spoiler alert for you, it's highly, highly unlikely that we're going to win the Scottish Cup.

Is this not a bit of a contradiction in terms? If we have no right to win then the same would have applied to Hibs that season, so finishing above them isn’t as much a feat?

Also in 2019/20 we had 14 wins in 28 games so there is still a chance we’ll end up with less wins on average, as then as to match it we need to win 2 more matches. Would expect us to do so but need to change our recent form. 

*If McGlynn wins the Scottish Cup then no matter what happens in the league, he’s an absolute legend.  

Edited by Caractacus Potts

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

You don't say? 🤔

The last time we won 16 games we finished second to Sevco, then Hibs in the Championship. We have no God given right to win this you know, just because we're Falkirk. We're a big fish in a small pond but we've been drowning for years. We're making progress. Yes, it's not as fast as we would all want, of course it's not, but we are making progress. I seems obvious to me that we can't go from being completely shit to completely brilliant. It could have happened certainly, but it surely can't be expected?

We still have 6 games to go so it's likely that we'll win more games this season than who knows when?

* Spoiler alert for you, it's highly, highly unlikely that we're going to win the Scottish Cup.

Sorry, if it’s not reasonable to expect Falkirk to win more than 53% of games in the third tier, we are as well shutting the gates.

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

take out peterhead, clyde, montrose and airdrie and compare. Pars>Partick, fair enough Cove>Alloa, then you've got Edinburgh and QOTS who are clear of Dumbarton and Forfar and Kelty East fife is a toss up. I know which league I'd rather we were playing in right now

As I said you can argue the minutiae so for your take

QoS better than East Fife? East Fife finished with the same amount of points after 28 matches as Queen of the South have now.

You also choose to selectively ignore that Peterhead, Montrose, Clyde and Airdrie(marginal) are worse teams than they were in 20/21(Peterhead much more so). 

Are you honestly saying 20/21 is a much easier league!? 

Guest Caractacus Potts
27 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I'd much rather compete in a league with 2 other full time teams than 4, yes.

So now it’s about full time teams rather than the quality of the teams that were competing? 

Weren’t the previous excuses that there was no real difference between us and the Part time teams? 

5 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

So now it’s about full time teams rather than the quality of the teams that were competing? 

Weren’t the previous excuses that there was no real difference between us and the Part time teams? 

Its about both. Going to stop going back and forth on this is obvious we're not going to budge.

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Is this not a bit of a contradiction in terms? If we have no right to win then the same would have applied to Hibs that season, so finishing above them isn’t as much a feat?

Also in 2019/20 we had 14 wins in 28 games so there is still a chance we’ll end up with less wins on average, as then as to match it we need to win 2 more matches. Would expect us to do so but need to change our recent form. 

*If McGlynn wins the Scottish Cup then no matter what happens in the league, he’s an absolute legend.  

Can you kindly explain what you mean here because I'm not getting it.

Guest Caractacus Potts
48 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Picking pointless holes because they only care about winning arguments

It takes 2 to debate so please remove whatever high ground you’re trying to take. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
39 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Can you kindly explain what you mean here because I'm not getting it.

Were you not using us finishing above Hibs in the Championship as an accomplishment whilst also maintaining that teams such as us have no right to finish above other teams in League One?

Guest Caractacus Potts
56 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

It’s about both. Going to stop going back and forth on this is obvious we're not going to budge.

Ok so only gaining 4 points vs Kelty is acceptable because they’re full time. 

You’re not going to budge because there’s no way you can show that either League is much easier. 

Dunfermline aside we should be expecting to beat every team in this league. I would expect us to beat Queen of the South, Kelty and Airdrie just as much as Cove, East Fife and Dumbarton. The odd result is acceptable but unfortunately we’ve had too many poor results and not laid a glove on Dunfermline. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Was a time when I enjoyed the fairly intelligent exchange of views with fellow Bairns and the occasionally vicious banter with rival fans but P&B is sadly beginning to resemble the dying days of One F.

Grim reading on the whole.

Was a time when fair criticism was allowed and the only agendas people were accused of was of trying to protect the club’s hierarchy. 

I’m not saying any more than I don’t find McGlynn is proving to be as good a manager as was made out. He’s improved us and his recruitment has been good but tactically he’s been pretty average. 

This forum over the past year seems populated by some friends who won’t allow any criticism. Look back at Martin Rennie and what was said at the time of his tenure as opposed to Sheerin. As I said before at least I’ve been consistent and at least try to back up any claims I make. 

26 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Was a time when fair criticism was allowed and the only agendas people were accused of was of trying to protect the club’s hierarchy. 

I’m not saying any more than I don’t find McGlynn is proving to be as good a manager as was made out. He’s improved us and his recruitment has been good but tactically he’s been pretty average. 

This forum over the past year seems populated by some friends who won’t allow any criticism. Look back at Martin Rennie and what was said at the time of his tenure as opposed to Sheerin. As I said before at least I’ve been consistent and at least try to back up any claims I make. 

Who do you suppose are said friends

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Were you not using us finishing above Hibs in the Championship as an accomplishment whilst also maintaining that teams such as us have no right to finish above other teams in League One?

No,  I was saying that the last time we had this many wins was when we were in the league with sevco  then the following season with Hibs