The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Maybe in my delusional head, it would be good to see a strong Airdrie in Scottish football, where you can fill one stand and at least half of another stand. Growing up in the early 90s, some of my fondest memories are our battles with Airdrie with good crowds from both sides so I say “sadness” in a genuine way.

Such as it is, that was actually a very decent home support for us last night. I'd also love to go back 30 years too but sadly it is what it is attendance-wise. There was actually guys beside me last night who were saying "I don't like this, it's too busy!!" You're obviously a fan from the same generation as myself. What's the way forward for Falkirk? You shouldn't be grubbing around in the 3rd tier! Don't be like us, the longer you stay the more conditioned you become to it, like being in jail!

8 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Coming from a supporter of a side who play in the slum of an area  that is parkhead.

to be fair, a lot of Celtic fans travel from more affluent areas like Airdrie/Coatbridge/Motherwell/Hamilton!!!

3 minutes ago, CHEMOMAN said:

Such as it is, that was actually a very decent home support for us last night. I'd also love to go back 30 years too but sadly it is what it is attendance-wise. There was actually guys beside me last night who were saying "I don't like this, it's too busy!!" You're obviously a fan from the same generation as myself. What's the way forward for Falkirk? You shouldn't be grubbing around in the 3rd tier! Don't be like us, the longer you stay the more conditioned you become to it, like being in jail!

I was actually surprised at how quiet it was, not just saying this out of bitterness but there was only any noise for about 30 seconds after each goal and that was it. Would've expected your end to be bouncing but it wasnt

29 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Here’s a ‘positive’ spin for you all; let’s be glad that, by hook or by crook, we didn’t get even close to making it past Inverness. Can you imagine what Celtic would have done to us?

They would have scored 3 or 4 and then just knocked it about. No second leg to have even slight concerns about, so no need to keep the pedal down right through.

They'll do it to ICT too.

All these refs are against us posts are just the icing on the cake *chef's kiss*

Definitely a pen, all day, every day.

And the red is hard to see in the highlights but it's a high boot and it looks reckless. Compared to some of the reds we've seen recently in the Premiership (e.g. Shinnie) and O'Hara's for us v Airdrie it looks worse.

14 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I was actually surprised at how quiet it was, not just saying this out of bitterness but there was only any noise for about 30 seconds after each goal and that was it. Would've expected your end to be bouncing but it wasnt

Probably in shock at how shite falkirk were.

In all seriousness, airdries support has dwindled over the years, led by selling Broomfield and spending lots of years sharing at broadwood. Obviously the fact we have been very average hasn’t helped. We are also ideally placed for most of the local fans supporting the big two. I am hoping that the additional support went away and would consider coming back more often as the management team has got them playing some good football. 

Falkirk do have a larger support but sadly that doesn’t win you games. 

15 minutes ago, CHEMOMAN said:

It’s a strange one. You say “conditioned” but then “happy with your lot”. We seem to be the polar opposite. Expectation high with big support but then let down majorly continuously. 

We always seek to be in a catch 22 football wise. I like what Airdrie did last night. Let us have the ball and when we inevitably lose it just cut right through us. The onus is on us when we play the middle to lowly teams to keep the ball and break them down but as soon as we do that against a decent side like yourselves we flounder. In other words, to answer your question, probably remain in a state of flux.

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

I can't see him getting sacked by the board even after last nights shambles.  He's on a two year deal so I think he'll be given another year to get us out of this league. A poor start to next season or a failure to get out the league a year from now then he won't be here but I don't think they will twist after one season.

Why oh why could the Board have any faith in him (beyond a huge slice of Stockholm Syndrome).

He should have had his contract terminated last night. He is just a guy who was a lower middling manager who is now completely out of touch, no longer fit for purpose.

There are loads of warning signs stretching back for months and months. His sole achievement was to move us from 6th to 2nd with huge support from the BoD. Way more so than any of his 2 immediate predecessors, and he has blown it spectacularly.

I am sure he can bafflegob anyone prepared to stand and listen to it, but what he cannot (or can no longer) do is construct a team……a well drilled, organised team. He has just been rag dolled by a rookie manager…..again.

He deserves no more chances. Any chat of this being a blip, an aberration….it really does need to stop.

McGlynn is far more likely to destroy the club rather than turn it around. I simply cannot condone this man being entrusted with a single day of our future.

I say it again…….his one and only league win was L2 14 years ago. This is now his 5th or 6th consecutive play of failure. Whoever does his PR that makes people think he is a decent manager………..total genius.

1 minute ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I don't have any qualms with the penalty or red card for Allan, however I think when Allan was brought down by the last man and Airdrie were given the foul was ridiculous, should've been a red in my opinion.

Allan fouled first. Two hands round the waist.

Admittedly haven't watched the replays and I have no plans to but that's what it looked like from where I was standing.

1 minute ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Admittedly haven't watched the replays and I have no plans to but that's what it looked like from where I was standing.

Only watched it once, I'll have another look again when I can stomach watching it again

2 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Yeah there was a slight tug by Allen. The red card for Allen was a complete joke of a decision though.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Said this before and got red dotted galore so expect the same but thats utter bonkers. The Board absolutely must have final say on both value and length of contracts. Anything else is mental. They absolutely shouldnt, excluding Goodwillie type scenarios, interfere with who managers sign, but the notion McGlynn or any other manager should have free reign to hand out multi year contracts without oversight is what gets clubs into financial black holes.

Where did I say free reign? He has a budget and will have to work within that. If he signs someone for two years that will reduce what he has to spend that year and the year after. If it is within his budget there is no need to be interfering IMO. 
Any board interference in the selection of players gives the manager an excuse. I wasn’t allowed to sign him blah blah blah

Edited by Back Post Misses

39 minutes ago, CHEMOMAN said:

I think we'll stick with mcglynn for one more season whether the fans like it or not. The bod want to get out of the constant of sacking managers every season and bringing in whole new squads of players. They will cite that there has undoubtedly been progress this season and that promotion in two years was the basis behind his two year deal.  I can see the logic in it but I can also see why fans would want change again after a performance like last night.  I think the bod will stick though. I presume you guys will be the same if you don't go up McCabe will be kept on for another punt.