The Falkirk FC Thread

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Trying to be realistic with the situation we are faced with, and appreciate your take on who’s came in. Yes haven’t a Fckn scubie how the season will pan out, but sincerely hope we get top spot. My issue is that we’ve shopped predominantly in the safe houses for players that are arguably better or are some have posted “upgrades” that will get us promoted. My concern is that for the past few seasons there’s been so many of these so called better players who have been nothing short of average, and when the pressure is on we’ve shat one. 

So, you'd have preferred that we brought in total unknowns? Could have worked, but I can imagine your melt down when it all went tits up! It's not so very long ago that that's exactly what happened!

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I've said this before, but on frequent League games with little away support, Brockville was every bit as capable of being absolutely dead. 

Good Brockville beats the piss out of good TFS, but both are rare, and when dead, they are/were much of a muchness. 

You are probably right, but memory plays tricks. I remember being at Brockville and it being buzzing: hammering QotS 7-1 is a childhood memory I'll never lose. Singing the "Mistletoe and Wine" song. Still remember the words. So many others. 

I'm a bit pished so if anyone wants to post the odd picture of Brockville, I won't object. 

Just now, ShaggerG said:

So, you'd have preferred that we brought in total unknowns? Could have worked, but I can imagine your melt down when it all went tits up! It's not so very long ago that that's exactly what happened!

Maybe if McGlynn  got off his arse and looked outside the M8/M9 corridor we’d be in a better place 

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Trying to be realistic with the situation we are faced with, and appreciate your take on who’s came in. Yes haven’t a Fckn scubie how the season will pan out, but sincerely hope we get top spot. My issue is that we’ve shopped predominantly in the safe houses for players that are arguably better or are some have posted “upgrades” that will get us promoted. My concern is that for the past few seasons there’s been so many of these so called better players who have been nothing short of average, and when the pressure is on we’ve shat one. 

I think you are tying yourself in knots now. What are you actually suggesting? We should be signing players we don’t think are upgrades in the hope that might work?

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Maybe if McGlynn  got off his arse and looked outside the M8/M9 corridor we’d be in a better place 

You really want me to name the players that he's brought in that will disprove that particular theory?

37 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

You are probably right, but memory plays tricks. I remember being at Brockville and it being buzzing: hammering QotS 7-1 is a childhood memory I'll never lose. Singing the "Mistletoe and Wine" song. Still remember the words. So many others. 

I'm a bit pished so if anyone wants to post the odd picture of Brockville, I won't object. 

Totally agree mate. I think with me a lot of it’s probably nostalgia and a lot of it was being a teenager and drunk with his mates but nowhere will ever come close to Brockville for me.

Guest Back Post Misses
7 hours ago, Springfield said:

Yes haven’t a Fckn scubie how the season will pan out,

But you have already made your mind up reading your other posts - the squad is not good enough you keep telling us. So which is it? Not good enough or I can’t predict? 

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

But you have already made your mind up reading your other posts - the squad is not good enough you keep telling us. So which is it? Not good enough or I can’t predict? 

Lets wait to see how the new team lines up formation wise and how the new players interact.

We've seen it over the years one new player can transform the players beside them we may even get a pleasant surprise, we are damn well overdue for one.

My hope is for a more direct less predictable style of play and a midfield that does not get bullied and take it from there.

Just been catching up on posts. I see someone commented about Kennedy’s goal contributions and our replacement doesn’t look like they’ll replace it. I would argue that Kennedy’s lack of strength and pace was a huge disadvantage to us last year and if the replacement we have can offer that then we may be in a better position. 

For all the good Kennedy did last season, which he did, he was too weak and not quick enough and like Morrison could easily go missing in games. The new signings look like they’ll be able to fight for a win when the going gets tough. Something we lacked last season

I think to be able to assess whether the signings are improvements we need to compare against the players that we've lost v those who have come in. Other than those changes, the rest of the squad is much the same.   

So that would be
Watson v Lang (debateable - arguably Watson has the better pedigree)
Max v Spencer (debateable - young creativity and set piece ability v good ball carrier)
Kinnear/Hogarth v Hogarth (H better than K but H also hear for a large chunk of last season)
MacIvor v Burrell (my view is Burrell more likely to score more based on last season)
Kennedy v Miller/Agyeman (debateable)

The signings have probably made us better but its marginal and not reason to be as cocky as some seem to be that we're going to be significantly improved. Our biggest issue will be McGlynn's ability to make us harder to beat and less predictable.  

Guest Back Post Misses

I think like most I will judge after a few cup and league games before any hypothetical judgements. The only difference that you can see over last is we have more physicality. Whether that translates into performances and results who knows and time will tell.  

49 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Our biggest issue will be McGlynn's ability to make us harder to beat and less predictable

🤔

I don't think it's being less predictable but a case of being more effective.

Dunfermline didn't change approach but were consistent in finding a way to win.

Also disagree we were as porous as is made out. We lost some bad goals but had we taken some of the chances we made it wouldn't have mattered as much, overall.

44 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Our biggest issue will be McGlynn's ability to make us harder to beat and less predictable.  

Our biggest issue is McGlynn's inability to beat our direct "challengers". Last season it was Dunfermline and Airdrie, next season probably Hamilton, QOTS and Cove. If he can't significantly outscore them in our match ups then we'll be here for another season. Of course, if we get off to a bad start hopefully the board will let him know that his time is up.