The Falkirk FC Thread

22 minutes ago, Juan Sheet said:

No matter what JM says it obviously wasn’t a priority if he’s spent his budget on players in positions that weren’t as much of a necessity. He says he wants quality over quantity, so he’s now left with the option of getting a cheap loan in or nothing, hardly quality in an area of need. Unless he’s planning on moving a player on to free up some funds.

No doubt he knows we need a right back, but he’s signed a centre back when we already had 4. He signed two centre forwards when we already had 2 and as you say only plays one up front. His signings even suggest we’d change formation to something like 3-5-2 but he’s stuck to his 4-2-3-1.

As I said previously if we are going to be successful this season it already seems like we’ll be doing it whilst making things harder than they need to be.

Nevertheless, none of us know what's been done or said behind the scenes. No one can claim that a RB wasn’t a priority, because we have no idea what's transpired in trying to get one. 

Edited by ShaggerG

12 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Not going to take too much from yesterday other than with our current fullback and striking options we won’t be promoted.

The fullback one is baffling for me. We have 3 players in Mackie, McCann and Miller who can and have played left back but not one actual right back. I can’t understand McGlynn’s transfer strategy at all.

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Nevertheless, none of us know what's been done or said behind the scenes. No one can claim that a RB wasn’t a priority, because we have no idea what's transpired in trying to get one. 

McGlynn as good as said he went after a right back and money wasn't there for his target(s)

He has put the majority of his budget getting Lang and Spencer, that was his priorities, both players may become important players but I don't think you'll have many teams having a centre mid as your first choice right back at this stage of the season.

If Yeats gets injured....god help us as we know Brad McKay is in 

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

The fullback one is baffling for me. We have 3 players in Mackie, McCann and Miller who can and have played left back but not one actual right back. I can’t understand McGlynn’s transfer strategy at all.

Henderson also 

Centre mid baffled me where we have 7 players and 3 wide players

32 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Part of the appeal with JM as manager was that it was alleged he had plenty of contacts and worked tirelessly to find players. I can’t say that isn’t the case but he’s known for a year that we would need a right back for this season and failed to produce one. He had a decent budget too which, as mentioned, he’s spent on areas that weren’t entirely necessary so think there is enough there to suggest it hasn’t been a priority for him. 

Edited by Van_damage

5 minutes ago, MrDust said:

McGlynn as good as said he went after a right back and money wasn't there for his target(s)

He has put the majority of his budget getting Lang and Spencer, that was his priorities, both players may become important players but I don't think you'll have many teams having a centre mid as your first choice right back at this stage of the season.

If Yeats gets injured....god help us as we know Brad McKay is in 

Henderson also 

Centre mid baffled me where we have 7 players and 3 wide players

Well, hopefully he leaves our opponents as baffled as he has us and we romp to the title 😂 

57 minutes ago, Juan Sheet said:

No matter what JM says it obviously wasn’t a priority if he’s spent his budget on players in positions that weren’t as much of a necessity. He says he wants quality over quantity, so he’s now left with the option of getting a cheap loan in or nothing, hardly quality in an area of need. Unless he’s planning on moving a player on to free up some funds.

No doubt he knows we need a right back, but he’s signed a centre back when we already had 4. He signed two centre forwards when we already had 2 and as you say only plays one up front. His signings even suggest we’d change formation to something like 3-5-2 but he’s stuck to his 4-2-3-1.

As I said previously if we are going to be successful this season it already seems like we’ll be doing it whilst making things harder than they need to be.

We needed another centrehalf as last year's just didn't get the job done. We needed a replacement for Kennedy so miller was added. Agyeman can play a couple of positions it's the signing of MacIver that I'd question at the moment although it's very early days.

On another note I see our under 18s were thrashed 9 1 by Partick yesterday. Hope we had a lot of boys on holiday or it just shows you the gap in quality .

Edited by Shodwall cat

We have went from having two right backs last season to none, albeit Williamson was mostly injured. McGlynn said himself after the Airdrie game that right back was a priority so I find it baffling that he hasn't addressed that area. He must have known what his budget was, to blow it all and not sign a right back is poor management. Can only hope a loan is brought in.

Edited by ebobsboy

2 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

That line up would do me. This idea yesterday of bringing Ola on in the holding/defensive midfield role didn’t work and hopefully McGlynn recognised that. We don’t need two there, Spencer against Bonnyrigg done the job there himself with Oliver dropping deep to help if required. Ola can play the no. 10 role just behind McIver with Agyeman and Morrison on the wings.

I’ve a feeling though the over cautious manager will opt for both McGinn and Spencer in the midfield and it didn’t work yesterday, they got in each others way and McGinn looks gubbed. Also he needs to cease with bringing Allan on as a lone striker as it doesn’t work either. Try him in the league cup at times with McIver who seems to win his fair share in the air but knocks it down for no one.

As I’ve said countless times I’ll give McGlynn the benefit of the doubt but he has to learn from previous mistakes and recognise when things aren’t working. I’m not going to panic after a preseason friendly but if things aren’t going right after half a dozen league games then I think McGlynn will really feel the wrath of the crowd, especially if he’s sticking with his heavy possession but lack of creativity style of play.

Balanced response with which I concur 

2 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

That line up would do me. This idea yesterday of bringing Ola on in the holding/defensive midfield role didn’t work and hopefully McGlynn recognised that. We don’t need two there, Spencer against Bonnyrigg done the job there himself with Oliver dropping deep to help if required. Ola can play the no. 10 role just behind McIver with Agyeman and Morrison on the wings.

I’ve a feeling though the over cautious manager will opt for both McGinn and Spencer in the midfield and it didn’t work yesterday, they got in each others way and McGinn looks gubbed. Also he needs to cease with bringing Allan on as a lone striker as it doesn’t work either. Try him in the league cup at times with McIver who seems to win his fair share in the air but knocks it down for no one.

As I’ve said countless times I’ll give McGlynn the benefit of the doubt but he has to learn from previous mistakes and recognise when things aren’t working. I’m not going to panic after a preseason friendly but if things aren’t going right after half a dozen league games then I think McGlynn will really feel the wrath of the crowd, especially if he’s sticking with his heavy possession but lack of creativity style of play.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

We seem to be entering a world of ever decreasing circles here. Sure, it’s impossible to offer up objective critical opinion on something you did not see or experience. Keep in mind that those self same rules need to apply to positive reactions from those who weren’t there either. Currently, that is treated with mild amusement and general acceptance.

Where the signals are being lost is in the interpretation of what we are seeing on the park. Defeats, wins, draws…….at this point, none of that truly matters.

What does matter, and what is the real issue is the manner in which we are setting up for games. Last season (at least for me) showed McGlynn to be stuck in a rut. Of what I have seen this season, he is still in the same place. His only way out of it feels like more expensive/better players operating in exactly the same system……..a system that has been less than stellar with RR or us.

I doubt very much that the same old same old from McGlynn is going to be switched up to something a bit more adventurous in August………if it were, there would be clear signs of it being trialed in the last few games……but it didn’t happen…….and it’s that approach that is a genuine concern…………not winning losing or drawing games at this stage in the season.

👍

29 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Well that’s pretty much nonsense, regardless of targets and what’s transpired the necessity is for a right back and we haven’t signed one! All the while spending the budget on players that are supposedly better quality than we already have in positions where we’re already much better endowed. 

Fair enough if Zlatan decided he really wants to play for us and would play for next to nothing, you’d make allowances as he’s got undoubted quality, but you really have to question the signing of MacIver especially when you’ve no right back and no energy or physicality in the defensive side of midfield! All the while playing 1 up front and several players already vying for that spot.

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Wanting your manager sacked after losing a friendly by 1 goal to a team in the league above you. 

What a website this truly is.

Nothing to do with result my friend as one read of the post match responses would tell you.  Cautious tactics coupled with set up do give cause for concern on whether lessons from last season have been learned.

10 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

We needed another centrehalf as last year's just didn't get the job done. We needed a replacement for Kennedy so miller was added. Agyeman can play a couple of positions it's the signing of MacIver that I'd question at the moment although it's very early days.

On another note I see our under 18s were thrashed 9 1 by Partick yesterday. Hope we had a lot of boys on holiday or it just shows you the gap in quality .

I’m in pretty much total agreement, although it was Mcglynn that signed all the defenders bar McKay. Its easy to blame the defence for goals we conceded and they should shoulder a fair portion of the blame but I can’t help but think a better midfield would screen the defence from a lot of the threats they faced. Quite simply Henderson and McGinn after October last year aren’t mobile enough to do the job effectively. Now we have Spencer who looks to be doing the exact same job as McGinn albeit hopefully with more in the tank each game. 

We’re running with a smaller squad and that’s ok, but when you have two or three positions with little to no options whilst others positions that have several options I can’t see how that isn’t concerning. Especially when it’s public knowledge our budget has been used up.

2 minutes ago, Juan Sheet said:

I’m in pretty much total agreement, although it was Mcglynn that signed all the defenders bar McKay. Its easy to blame the defence for goals we conceded and they should shoulder a fair portion of the blame but I can’t help but think a better midfield would screen the defence from a lot of the threats they faced. Quite simply Henderson and McGinn after October last year aren’t mobile enough to do the job effectively. Now we have Spencer who looks to be doing the exact same job as McGinn albeit hopefully with more in the tank each game. 

We’re running with a smaller squad and that’s ok, but when you have two or three positions with little to no options whilst others positions that have several options I can’t see how that isn’t concerning. Especially when it’s public knowledge our budget has been used up.

We've been crying out for a much more mobile midfield, which would give added protection to our defence. We don’t know if McGlynn will favour a combo of McGinn Spencer & Henderson, but a fair chance he will. We thankfully don’t have Airdrie who absolutely spanked us, playing simple one touch fast paced football we couldn’t live with. I’ve no doubt our opposition will be similarly drilled. Unfortunately we’re short in three key positions that look unlikely to be filled unless we get players out and the generosity of other clubs with no fee loans.

4 hours ago, Balde Bairn said:

You can complain about negative fans on here but insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. McClown is going to play the same way and we know that’s going to fail. It’s therefore impossible to have any optimism. 

⚠️ Irony alert ⚠️

You're seriously suggesting sacking the manager, dumping his squad and starting again in the hope that'll be different from Hartley or MacKinnon or M&M or Sheerin or Rennie 🤨

It's hard to argue that this thread has now officially "jumped the shark"! 🤯

Edited by Blame Me

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

We've been crying out for a much more mobile midfield, which would give added protection to our defence. We don’t know if McGlynn will favour a combo of McGinn Spencer & Henderson, but a fair chance he will. We thankfully don’t have Airdrie who absolutely spanked us, playing simple one touch fast paced football we couldn’t live with. I’ve no doubt our opposition will be similarly drilled. Unfortunately we’re short in three key positions that look unlikely to be filled unless we get players out and the generosity of other clubs with no fee loans.

Name a centre midfielder you would have signed this summer to improve the mobility in the middle of the park?

9 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Name a centre midfielder you would have signed this summer to improve the mobility in the middle of the park?

Part of a manager’s role (along with the scouts) is to bring in players who will improve the squad using their contacts and eye for a player.

”No one better was available” would not be an acceptable excuse for previous managers so I’m surprised to see it being used for McGlynn.

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

And that for me is a pretty sad state of affairs before a competitive game has been played. When nothing but promotion will do we’re having to rely on favours from other teams to fill out unaddressed positions of need, whilst we’ve got four players that can play left back, five that can play centre back, and five that can play centre forward(although none can play as a lone striker and that’s how we play 🤦🏻‍♂️

I think that Mcglynn’s only way out other than loans is to move players on, I wouldn’t want to see McCann shifted but he and McKay are the only non Mcglynn defenders left. If mcginn’s needing injections to get through games maybe a serious consideration to his long term health needs to be made? 

Yesterday’s results will hopefully help us progress in the cup for extra cash but once again having to rely on that to fill positions of glaring need isn’t a great situation to be in.

43 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

We have went from having two right backs last season to none, albeit Williamson was mostly injured. McGlynn said himself after the Airdrie game that right back was a priority so I find it baffling that he hasn't addressed that area. He must have known what his budget was, to blow it all and not sign a right back is poor management. Can only hope a loan is brought in.

A loan right back for a season is likely to be an untried youngster, Rowe did well to start with last season but his form fell off a cliff at the end, something that generally happens with youngsters.

Loans are very much hit or miss and often used to pad out squads, we could get a right back in and Yeats might still be our best option

45 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

the signing of MacIver that I'd question at the moment although it's very early days.

I'll question it if he plays MacIver on his own, Alloa fans have said he ain't a lone striker and we know Allan ain't a lone striker also.

12 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Part of a manager’s role (along with the scouts) is to bring in players who will improve the squad using their contacts and eye for a player.

”No one better was available” would not be an acceptable excuse for previous managers so I’m surprised to see it being used for McGlynn.

My point being was there really a better option out there for us in the middle of the park than Spencer?

@Springfieldhas made the point that the budgets not been used wisely, surely signing the best player available for the position you want to strengthen is the best use of the budget?

Edited by FFC 1876