The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Do we pay over the odds for wages and in some cases we pay higher than championship wages ?

Can only be. 

Impression that the club is run on a shoestring - see outsourcing of almost everything - so why is it we can't reduce that 400k in any meaningful way with cup runs, attendances and sponsors that are heralded as much improved deals. 

Said in so many words pre-summer that cost of following Falkirk was being hidden and evidently true. It's join the FSS or else to keep the wolves from the door. 

As outlined in the statement we've unfortunately hit the perfect storm of rising costs, underperforming and if the last few weeks on here have been anything to go by an element of apathy that not a lot has changed to give fans optimism.

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So what’s the real reason we start every season (sure a director said for at least  a decade) with a minus 400K?
Is it money we have pay to the council for use of the stadium? ie rent rates hire ?

Do we pay over the odds for wages and in some cases we pay higher than championship wages ?

IIRC, it was explained that most clubs normally give a budget of 65% of turnover for a playing budget and the rest serves for capital expenditure and commercial staff. Our deficit is merely because they believe the playing budget to sustain an FT team is more than 65% of our budget and for it to be at that level we need to have £400k more turnover. 

That is the worry and if it is the case, as it seems, then personally I’d rather see us look at a way of working within our means than potentially put the club at risk. Sure we took in around £2m last year so would like to hope a £1.3m is enough of a budget to get a squad capable of winning the league. 

What I don’t understand is how other clubs with much smaller supports and no membership scheme such as the FSS, manage to achieve success. Airdrie being the last example and ICT too. Surely we don’t need to be overspending to achieve what they have? 

Quite a depressing read, especially the part saying that it's the same loss in the championship if we go up, are we just paying daft wages? Where else is the money going? Expecting us to have similar numbers of season ticket holders as FSS members is unrealistic imo.

On the football side, McGlynn spending our entire budget without bringing in a RB or dynamic midfielder is utter madness. Anyone could tell you that's where we were lacking.

Just now, GeordieBairn said:

I’m not really seeing any other option than seek external investment. The targets it looks like we’re setting are unfortunately not very realistic at this point. 

I’ve had to take a few reads of the statement and it’s without question there’s a desperate theme for people to invest. Like the patrons and the 700+ fans I’ve invested in the FSS and so have many of my family and Colleagues, but the numbers we require are out of touch. I actually think there may be issues behind the scenes and hope that guys like the Rawlings who invested may consider coming back to the fold with additional funding/investment.

What's the script for tix tomorrow night or is it pay at the gate, can't find info anywhere?

Failing that's is it on Falkirk tv or not? The link to the new website say "no ppv" for the Spartans game yet the board statement issued earlier says they will be streaming it?

I

19 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

I’m not really seeing any other option than seek external investment. The targets it looks like we’re setting are unfortunately not very realistic at this point. 

And this is a worry too. Any external investment is unlikely to be a Falkirk fan and will therefore want assurances to run the club as they want and create more shares to allow them to have a stake in the club.

Such a move would instantly reduce the FSS shareholding therefore diminishing the reason for taking the loan and what it was designed for. It would also give the fans much less say in the boardroom, once again diluting what fan ownership is all about. 

Edited by Van_damage

Just now, Springfield said:

I’ve had to take a few reads of the statement and it’s without question there’s a desperate theme for people to invest. Like the patrons and the 700+ fans I’ve invested in the FSS and so have many of my family and Colleagues, but the numbers we require are out of touch. I actually think there may be issues behind the scenes and hope that guys like the Rawlings who invested may consider coming back to the fold with additional funding/investment.

The Rawlins won’t be seen again…………besides which, external investment would come at the cost of shares……..and there are no unsold shares to buy.  It would require a new share issue which in turn, would reduce the value and percentage of existing shareholding……..including those held by the FSS,  so the whole cycle would start over again.

8 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

And this is a worry too. Any external investment is unlikely to be a Falkirk fan and will therefore want assurances to run the club as they want and create more shares to allow them to have a stake in the club.

Such a move would instantly reduce the FSS shareholding therefore diminishing the reason for taking the loan and what it was designed for. It would also give the fans much less say in the boardroom, once again diluting what fan ownership is all about. 

FSS doing well but not taking off as we'd hoped and keep comparing to similarly sizes clubs. In reality FSS represents probably less than 15% of the fan base.. If external investment is an option I don't have an issue with it (given the latest supporter update). We can't keep hoping and relying on FSS.. How long do we give it? How long can we afford to give it? 

12 minutes ago, alonso said:

What's the script for tix tomorrow night or is it pay at the gate, can't find info anywhere?

Failing that's is it on Falkirk tv or not? The link to the new website say "no ppv" for the Spartans game yet the board statement issued earlier says they will be streaming it?

I

I reckon if you sign up to a monthly subscription you'll get it on Falkirk TV they just probably aren't allowed to offer a PPV option as it's at Spartans so up to them to offer that.

Anyone know how the gate receipts work for these league cup games? 

Edited by FFC 1876

1 minute ago, Forever_Blue_ said:

FSS doing well but not taking off as we'd hoped and keep comparing to similarly sizes clubs. In reality FSS represents probably less than 15% of the fan base.. If external investment is an option I don't have an issue with it (given the latest supporter update). We can't keep hoping and relying on FSS.. How long do we give it? How long can we afford to give it? 

FSS has done incredibly well to get upwards of 700 people paying at least a tenner a month extra in the current economic climate.

3000+ was never a realistic target (through absolutely no fault of those involved) and should never have been assumed.

27 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

Agreed, however there are now no shares left.  Unless the club have another share issue.

I for one am shocked and stunned that a club last seen trying to desperately peddle ten year season tickets - to wild applause by the gormless section of their fanbase - somehow can't make the numbers stack up. 🤡

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The Rawlins won’t be seen again…………besides which, external investment would come at the cost of shares……..and there are no unsold shares to buy.  It would require a new share issue which in turn, would reduce the value and percentage of existing shareholding……..including those held by the FSS,  so the whole cycle would start over again.

On top of that because of the recent share issues the club is currently valued at just under £2m with over 4.3m shares issued. For any outsider to get a controlling stake you’d need to issue another 4.3m shares for just over a 50% share.

Alternatively to get to around the 26% mark then it would be another 1.4m shares so would come at a cost of £560k- £1.7m at 40p/share. 

The Rawlins pretty much had the run of the boardroom for £375k and left so not sure any outsider with true intentions is likely to be incentivised by forking out over half a million for a League One club with little assets.

In other words I think external investment on the basis of having a stake in the club is highly unlikely and therefore we must live within our means. On top of that I don’t want to see what the FSS has achieved thrown away for nothing. 

3 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

FSS has done incredibly well to get upwards of 700 people paying at least a tenner a month extra in the current economic climate.

3000+ was never a realistic target (through absolutely no fault of those involved) and should never have been assumed.

I'm hindsight I agree it's an unrealistic number. At the time I didn't think for a second we'd struggle to get even 1,000. Obviously times have been really tough on everyone and nobody could probably have seen this coming. Just trying to say I don't think we should have all our eggs in this basket given the financial situation.. As much as we want it. 

With the ongoing budget deficits all the more reason to take the league cup seriously and not treat it as a pre season friendly (an approach I don't agree with).

With the opening round of results we have a real chance to progress and fill some of that budget gap or get more players in. 

Didn't the board say last season most clubs in Scottish football run at a loss each season and that our plan was to run at a 400k deficit in order to keep the playing budget as strong as it could be whilst trying to chip away at that 400k throughout the season by performing well on the park aswell as commericially off it.

The cup run obviously helped massively but remember we turned around a 1.2million loss to a small profit last season so there's no reason why we can't do the same with a 400k loss.

Edited by FFC 1876

Just now, bridge of allan bairn said:

With the ongoing budget deficits all the more reason to take the league cup seriously and not treat it as a pre season friendly (an approach I don't agree with).

With the opening round of results we have a real chance to progress and fill some of that budget gap or get more players in. 

Surely we can’t even consider bringing more players in ?? We ain’t got a pot to piss in.

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Surely we can’t even consider bringing more players in ?? We ain’t got a pot to piss in.

Im guessing the squad we have has already been budgeted and paid for so I'm talking about progression from the group and a further meaty draw (s). This money would be unbudgeted so unless you hold it back for next season's hole (understandable to a degree) it could be used this season

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

I for one am shocked and stunned that a club last seen trying to desperately peddle ten year season tickets - to wild applause by the gormless section of their fanbase - somehow can't make the numbers stack up. 🤡

The turd that won’t flush back to pollute the thread.