The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

Miller obviously being one of them, but I was scratching my head trying to think of who the other attacker is. I presume you mean Nesbitt? I thought we missed his energy in midfield yesterday. Oliver is OK but he doesn't have the same energy or pace in there and I thought that the midfield was quite ponderous all game.

I thought Oliver was really poor yesterday and this didn't help our link up play.

11 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

An insult to odd balls!

When we challenged him he started shouting 'are you happy with this shit'? I said, 'who said we're happy, but FFS, give them a break' (or words to that effect). He then started moaning about the Airdrie play-off and McGlynn, who he'd been slagging during most of the 2nd half. Some fans just seem to want us to do badly so they can moan and show how right they are. Reminds me of one or two folk on here actually!

For the first time in 5 seasons we finally seem to be getting our shit together, so why don't we all get behind the team instead of moaning? If that guy and guys like him think we're going to be brilliant in every game, I've got news for them!

Seems like a lot of folk agree with me going by the number of green dots, however, a predictable red from pedro. So tell me pedro, what in that post do you disagree with? Or was the moaning fucker actually you?? 

2 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

I thought Oliver was really poor yesterday and this didn't help our link up play.

Aye, he wasn't great, fairly anonymous actually. I remember one time in the 2nd half where he was breaking forward in a good position and was easily bullied off the ball by a Hamilton player. Nesbitt's no world beater for sure, but I think he would have came away with the ball from that challenge.

Just now, ShaggerG said:

Aye, he wasn't great, fairly anonymous actually. I remember one time in the 2nd half where he was breaking forward in a good position and was easily bullied off the ball by a Hamilton player. Nesbitt's no world beater for sure, but I think he would have came away with the ball from that challenge.

He just didn't seem up for it yesterday, which is normally one of his strong points, maybe wasn't 100%

11 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

An insult to odd balls!

When we challenged him he started shouting 'are you happy with this shit'? I said, 'who said we're happy, but FFS, give them a break' (or words to that effect). He then started moaning about the Airdrie play-off and McGlynn, who he'd been slagging during most of the 2nd half. Some fans just seem to want us to do badly so they can moan and show how right they are. Reminds me of one or two folk on here actually!

For the first time in 5 seasons we finally seem to be getting our shit together, so why don't we all get behind the team instead of moaning? If that guy and guys like him think we're going to be brilliant in every game, I've got news for them!

There is a handful of our “fans” where you do genuinely get the feeling they want shit to go tits up so they can say I told you so. I’m sure that genuinely is not the case and it is a minority but that is the vibe these people give of. They really need to realise that attitude helps nobody and only serves to compound any underlying issues that do exist , fans can actually be problem solvers or problem makers and we do have a few that fall into the latter category. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Guest FFC1965

Got a message from a Hibs supporting mate at FT yesterday to say that he'd watched the game on Alba and noticed we had toughened up significantly from last season. 

Which we have, and a good thing too especially as it looks like our main rivals in HAFC will be up for a fight.  I thought Lang and Yeats in particular were excellent.   

Not our best day at the office yesterday but still top and a great first quarter with 23 from 9, top of the league and a double digit delta to the likes of QOS & Cove who were being talked up as challengers pre season.  

ps - Im always amazed that Jackson & Louis Longridge are brothers.  JL appears to be perpetually seething while LL is so laid back on a football pitch he's horizontal.  

COYB

Edited by FFC1965

11 minutes ago, FFC1965 said:

Got a message from a Hibs supporting mate at FT yesterday to say that he'd watched the game on Alba and noticed we had toughened up significantly from last season. 

Which we have, and a good thing too especially as it looks like our main rivals in HAFC will be up for a fight.  I thought Lang and Yeats in particular were excellent.   

Not our best day at the office yesterday but still top and a great first quarter with 23 from 9, top of the league and a double digit delta to the likes of QOS & Cove who were being talked up as challengers pre season.  

ps - Im always amazed that Jackson & Louis Longridge are brothers.  JL appears to be perpetually seething while LL is so laid back on a football pitch he's horizontal.  

COYB

The two teams cancel each other out.

Whoever wins the league will be the team that grinds out consistency over the season.

On 06/10/2023 at 17:11, Bainsfordbairn said:

Is the three legged stool still a thing? 

You'll know better than me, but I wouldn't have thought the likes of Sandy Alexander / Martin Ritchie were involved now and we're obviously not seeking external investment atm. 

That just leaves patrons and FSS. I have no idea who all the patrons are or their financial circumstances, but I wouldn't have thought someone who's already put in 10K would be expected to do it again. Whereas a guy putting in a tenner a month can do it for years to come. Albeit some of the patrons did put in more cash to buy shares recently, which resulted in all sorts of wild theories about their motives. 

In my eyes patrons and FSS are the same thing: ordinary fans who give what they can to help the club they love. 

I kind of think of it as a one-legged stool nowadays. Am I wrong? 

Folk probably won't thank me for bringing this stuff back up but I thought it worth mentioning that I'm still completely behind the 3-legged stool model and actually believe it is really important we stick to it. Although I get the premise of what BB is saying, I'm quoting this post as a way of kicking off my thoughts.

All three legs still/can still play a vital role to me.

1. (Small) The collective support from FSS, which does need more buying in (not convinced of 2500 yet but 1200 is a good goal). 

2. (Medium) I think of the Patrons Group as almost like the 'business' element of the support. I think it's less important how much money they have (although I'd assume it's more than the average fan), but that they have the time and expertise to run a business. From what I understand it is the connections these people have that has helped bring in the significant uplift in sponsorship and also allows the club to run events for effectively no cost (the PG 'covers' costs). I'd quite like them to publish more of what they are doing because it is good work. I don't expect this group to be matching FSS cash contribution, but it would not surprise me if they brought in this amount (maybe more?) in sponsorships/free work for club.

3. (Large) I think BB post is right. The ones currently in this group are not involved in the day to day. I've absolutely no doubt in my mind though that MR and SA would help if things started to turn again and I don't believe their shares will ever be sold and rather returned to club when that time comes. Moving forward though, if the small and medium shareholders can collectively run the club sustainably, the large group becomes so much more attractive for an external investor. I don't think we would see a 4th stand built unless we had someone here.

I reckon that with our Fan ownership model we do have the potential to have the best of all worlds that you wouldn't otherwise get being fully owned by a Fans group.

2 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Folk probably won't thank me for bringing this stuff back up but I thought it worth mentioning that I'm still completely behind the 3-legged stool model and actually believe it is really important we stick to it. Although I get the premise of what BB is saying, I'm quoting this post as a way of kicking off my thoughts.

All three legs still/can still play a vital role to me.

1. (Small) The collective support from FSS, which does need more buying in (not convinced of 2500 yet but 1200 is a good goal). 

2. (Medium) I think of the Patrons Group as almost like the 'business' element of the support. I think it's less important how much money they have (although I'd assume it's more than the average fan), but that they have the time and expertise to run a business. From what I understand it is the connections these people have that has helped bring in the significant uplift in sponsorship and also allows the club to run events for effectively no cost (the PG 'covers' costs). I'd quite like them to publish more of what they are doing because it is good work. I don't expect this group to be matching FSS cash contribution, but it would not surprise me if they brought in this amount (maybe more?) in sponsorships/free work for club.

3. (Large) I think BB post is right. The ones currently in this group are not involved in the day to day. I've absolutely no doubt in my mind though that MR and SA would help if things started to turn again and I don't believe their shares will ever be sold and rather returned to club when that time comes. Moving forward though, if the small and medium shareholders can collectively run the club sustainably, the large group becomes so much more attractive for an external investor. I don't think we would see a 4th stand built unless we had someone here.

I reckon that with our Fan ownership model we do have the potential to have the best of all worlds that you wouldn't otherwise get being fully owned by a Fans group.

Fair comment, however based on quite a few unknowns. For me think it’s best we keep with what’s we know. Following the recent AGM/shareholder meeting and the press release, we urgently need to substantially increase the funding/cash/investment within the club. Disappointingly for me the ask (threat) is without a huge uptake in FSS membership, we need to be at 2400 (currently 750ish after hard selling for a year) so that the -400K is funded.

The reality is that many players will be able to sign pre-season contracts in 12 weeks and guys like Spencer & Lang would walk this summer, straight from McGlynn on his presentation to the AGM. Not quite sure what the hell the BOD expects from the fans. Do they honestly think we’re suddenly have a huge uptake in the next few weeks? Not a chance in hell.
So what’s the alternative? It’s got to be from the existing investment or external investment. We’ve already had a group of guys ( Patrons) being asked for a second dip and god knows where we’d be without them. Will they dig again ? Not sure.

Maybe MSG former guys Ritchie - Alexander? after all didn’t we try and chase them? 
Rawlins? All quiet and suspect they will disappear one way or another soon. 
So we’re top of the league, best opening nine games and best looking squad in maybe 4 years, let’s see where the next few months take us, one things for sure, there will be no second chances.

6 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

There is a handful of our “fans” where you do genuinely get the feeling they want shit to go tits up so they can say I told you so. I’m sure that genuinely is not the case and it is a minority but that is the vibe these people give of. They really need to realise that attitude helps nobody and only serves to compound any underlying issues that do exist , fans can actually be problem solvers or problem makers and we do have a few that fall into the latter category. 

They are the same people who go to watch their sons playing and hurl abuse because the team is not trying!

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Fair comment, however based on quite a few unknowns. For me think it’s best we keep with what’s we know. Following the recent AGM/shareholder meeting and the press release, we urgently need to substantially increase the funding/cash/investment within the club. Disappointingly for me the ask (threat) is without a huge uptake in FSS membership, we need to be at 2400 (currently 750ish after hard selling for a year) so that the -400K is funded.

The reality is that many players will be able to sign pre-season contracts in 12 weeks and guys like Spencer & Lang would walk this summer, straight from McGlynn on his presentation to the AGM. Not quite sure what the hell the BOD expects from the fans. Do they honestly think we’re suddenly have a huge uptake in the next few weeks? Not a chance in hell.
So what’s the alternative? It’s got to be from the existing investment or external investment. We’ve already had a group of guys ( Patrons) being asked for a second dip and god knows where we’d be without them. Will they dig again ? Not sure.

Maybe MSG former guys Ritchie - Alexander? after all didn’t we try and chase them? 
Rawlins? All quiet and suspect they will disappear one way or another soon. 
So we’re top of the league, best opening nine games and best looking squad in maybe 4 years, let’s see where the next few months take us, one things for sure, there will be no second chances.

The Board have been saying for two years that we need to change the business model and as far as I can see things haven't changed in a business sense - the operating loss is still as large as ever (even when taking into account cup monies and other unbudgeted for income).   What happened to all the big ideas that Kenny Jamieson had for changing the operating model?  Hot air I suspect.

The harsh realities are: 

There's no opportunity for small shareholders to purchase additional shares. 

The projections for growth of the FSS are unrealistic (and from recent comments on here it looks like some members have left)

The PG are tapped out.  They might be able to contribute the odd thousand here and there but they don't have the same financial clout as Ritchie, Alexander, Rawlins.

As for those latter three - why on earth would they put more money into the club?  Unless they've all developed collective amnesia over the abuse they've received the past few years (much of it on this forum and from members of the current board) then there's no way they'll step up.

35 minutes ago, RC_Bairn said:

The Board have been saying for two years that we need to change the business model and as far as I can see things haven't changed in a business sense - the operating loss is still as large as ever (even when taking into account cup monies and other unbudgeted for income).   What happened to all the big ideas that Kenny Jamieson had for changing the operating model?  Hot air I suspect.

The harsh realities are: 

The projections for growth of the FSS are unrealistic (and from recent comments on here it looks like some members have left)

The PG are tapped out.  They might be able to contribute the odd thousand here and there but they don't have the same financial clout as Ritchie, Alexander, Rawlins.

As for those latter three - why on earth would they put more money into the club?  Unless they've all developed collective amnesia over the abuse they've received the past few years (much of it on this forum and from members of the current board) then there's no way they'll step up.

Don’t know any of the BOD, but as earlier posted a few good friends who are all STs and have followed the club for years, are seriously pissed off that the begging bowl is directly aimed at the fans. 

Just now, Springfield said:

Don’t know any of the BOD, but as earlier posted a few good friends who are all STs and have followed the club for years, are seriously pissed off that the begging bowl is directly aimed at the fans. 

We are fan owned not board owned, what are you exactly expecting?

16 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Who makes the decisions within the club ?

A board, 2 of which are elected directly by the fans - if you don’t like decisions being made you can now directly influence that. How is this still being discussed 18 months on ffs 🤦‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, RC_Bairn said:

The harsh realities are: 

It appears to me the envisaged change to the business model was ti have 2500+ FSS members.

In my view it is and always has been clear that figure is delusional.

1 hour ago, RC_Bairn said:

Batting for Phil fucking Rawlins now 🤣 and crying over things said on Pie And Bovril

Jog on you absolute loser