The Falkirk FC Thread

52 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I see we are advertising for a new lead physio. Has Rachel Gillen left? @Bainsfordbairn

Just checked, Rachel still with us, apologies.

(Note to self, never reply on your mobile while walking when you didn't register the name in your head.)

Edited by Sarcastic Bairn

47 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Livi

Edited, sorry I saw someone from the team had left to Livingston, @Bainsfordbairn will clarify I'm sure in case Ive put 2+2 together and came with 5.

I haven't a clue. She was there when I took the staff photo with the gaffers MOTM on Tuesday morning. We only have the one physio so I'm assuming she's found a role elsewhere which pays more and has handed in her notice. Shame as she's a really nice girl who's liked by everyone. 

We have lost someone to Livi. Erin who does sports science for the academy on a part-time basis qualified from Uni and got a fulltime role at Almondvale. 

24 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I haven't a clue. She was there when I took the staff photo with the gaffers MOTM on Tuesday morning. We only have the one physio so I'm assuming she's found a role elsewhere which pays more and has handed in her notice. Shame as she's a really nice girl who's liked by everyone. 

We have lost someone to Livi. Erin who does sports science for the academy on a part-time basis qualified from Uni and got a fulltime role at Almondvale. 

That’s why I was confused, just the other day she was with the team for the MOTM stuff.  Anyhow, Jamie has tweeted she is leaving so best of luck to her. 

2 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Shows the value of being in the Premiership. A diddy club attracting less than 1000 home fans a game can offer full time contracts for sports science roles.

Edited by latapythelegend

2 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Shows the value of being in the Premiership. A diddy club attracting less than 1000 home fans a game can offer full time contracts for sports science roles.

We have a fulltime sports science person, although technically his job title is "Head of Performance". He also does a number of other tasks. 

The difference is we only have one such person & physio, whereas clubs with full academies, reserve teams, youth teams etc will have several. There are a number of academy staff at Falkirk but they're all part time as we only have two teams in the U16s and U18s. 

1 minute ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

We have a fulltime sports science person, although technically his job title is "Head of Performance". He also does a number of other tasks. 

The difference is we only have one such person & physio, whereas clubs with full academies, reserve teams, youth teams etc will have several. There are a number of academy staff at Falkirk but they're all part time as we only have two teams in the U16s and U18s. 

That sets us apart. If we can get back to that level then we should really be pushing way beyond the scope of the likes of Livi.

Hopefully that's not too far away.

36 minutes ago, Hampden Roar said:

Unfortunately when the club has effectively gave a  “win or bust” statement at the agm both the non football and playing staff will be looking over their shoulder and come January and if we’re not in pole position then we could see more away imo.

Utter rubbish. Where is your evidence for this? 

5 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Yes, that's the point. Short term fix to give us the budget to re-sign players for next season in January to give us the best chance of promotion. Once we get up things should get a bit easier because income will increase. 

The ONLY opportunity we have to increase funds at the moment is via the FSS, so we've got to try, surely?

Agree its the only extra income source at present hence 'short-term' What worries me is that the club is committed to a budget dependent on an income stream that can't be looked at as a certaintly to do so would be disrespectful to the support. All it takes is for one season to come up short. Hopefully we get promoted and that addresses a good % of the problem.

Worrying time though for Scottish Football. Suspect there are a few Scottish clubs on the brink

3 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Which is the way it should be imo. We are in league 1 and the board are absolutely right in prioritising resources to the first team squad.

In my view the academy was allowed to run away with itself to an extent under previous regimes and we were spending totally unsustainable sums for a club outside the premier league.

The academy should be there to support the first team, not the other way around. The current board have that absolutely spot on.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

In my view the academy was allowed to run away with itself to an extent under previous regimes and we were spending totally unsustainable sums for a club outside the premier league.

That's an interesting observation, and not one I think I've heard before other than hints from the FFC board who decided to pull out of the academy. 

Would you like to expand on it, or maybe give some facts and figures to explain your reasoning? 

We could get taken over by an Arab billionaire, win the Champions League, win the Scottish treble, build a 50000 all seater state of the art stadium that we fill every week and some on here would look for the negative in it.

We’re top of the league playing decent football, getting bigger gates than the rest of the league put together, academy is coming back and the fans are majority shareholders. Let’s just enjoy it for once ffs and stop all this negative theory pish.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

5 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

That's an interesting observation, and not one I think I've heard before other than hints from the FFC board who decided to pull out of the academy. 

Would you like to expand on it, or maybe give some facts and figures to explain your reasoning? 

As the current board have recognised, it is not affordable or sustainable to run a full scale academy outside the premier league. The decision not to proceed with a reserve squad this season was the perfect example.

Our limited resources have to be focused where they can have most immediate impact rather than on copious youth squads, physios and sports scientists.

4 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

it is not affordable or sustainable to run a full scale academy outside the premier league.

That was one of my issues with the decision to close the academy. I don't think anyone would have argued that we weren't in a financial position to run a full scale operation. Particularly with what I believe were increasingly demanding requirements to remain at the elite level. 

But why couldn't have we have run something less, rather than close everything, generate masses of bad publicity and completely destroy our reputation?

Something like we have right now? 

Particularly as there were stories at the time of wealthy fans being prepared to keep the academy going while they downsized?  

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

That was one of my issues with the decision to close the academy. I don't think anyone would have argued that we weren't in a financial position to run a full scale operation. Particularly with what I believe were increasingly demanding requirements to remain at the elite level. 

But why couldn't have we have run something less, rather than close everything, generate masses of bad publicity and completely destroy our reputation?

Something like we have right now? 

Particularly as there were stories at the time of wealthy fans being prepared to keep the academy going while they downsized?  

I believe that there were serious proposals put to the board from a group of businessmen prepared to fund the academy.

They were knocked back.

On another matter I was told earlier tonight that there are ongoing discussions about league reconstruction with a 12-12-10-10 set up with no relegation from the Championship this season.

Usually pretty reliable source.

2 hours ago, Hampden Roar said:

By speaking to former members of staff….. statements like that send jitters,  whatever the business.

Tend to agree. 

This has been picked up by the mainstream press and it does not send a confident message to anyone employed by the club. 

We were in a similar (or worse position) this time last season, but we were fortunate that the late AGM allowed us to get a message across that was a little bit less in panic mode. Probably due to the cup run etc.

This time around, I'm not sure the detail of our finances have been truly scrutinised but just the headline that we are skint with the possibility of going part time. Whether its accurate or not, this is not good PR.  

22 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I think you need to take a closer look at the signage.

I disagree. I assume you're talking about the bit that does indeed slot in and out of the sign. However, this has all match details on it. A whole new one needs made each game to be slotted in.

I can't imagine this is either cost effective or environmentally friendly compared to having teams/dates/times premade and slotted in defined areas.

On 10/10/2023 at 22:52, Shodwall cat said:

I hope you are taking the piss here. Who gives a feck about a bloody sign. Maybe it should be in bloody gaelic too.

Yes it's small but it is good for these small things to be correct too.