The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

A point gained yesterday given how the game went. Incredibly frustrating watching McGlynn do nothing but like for like subs. First time a MacIver sitter has cost us as going 2-0 would have killed that game off. Just continued trying to whack in cross after cross when it clearly wasn't working.

As mentioned a striker in January has to be the priority as Allan can't play in McGlynn's system.

Paying cash and a two & half year deal for Allan, sure makes you think that he was a either a panic buy, or subs impact player, or as the majority of managers often find, signings simply don’t weigh up to expectations.

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Paying cash and a two & half year deal for Allan, sure makes you think that he was a either a panic buy, or subs impact player, or as the majority of managers often find, signings simply don’t weigh up to expectations.

At the time we got him was he not joint top scorer in the league, in a terrible Clyde team as well. At the time I thought given a better team around him he would have been scoring for fun and was a good move bringing him in for a final promotion push. But he has just not lived up to that at all. Definitely think January needs to bring someone to compete with MacIver.

56 minutes ago, FFC1965 said:

Its definitely not if you look at winning runs of league games.  There may well be other long unbeaten runs but the one that sticks in my mind is our 1990/91 title winning team - my favourite season as a Bairns fan.  I think that they went 15 unbeaten from Oct 90 to Mar 91.  https://bettermeddle.org.uk/archive/byseason/results.php?year2=1991 and after losing to PTFC in March 91 went another 11 unbeaten to the end of the season.  Not bad when they lost the first 3!

So we are getting close having gone 12 unbeaten this season in the league

93/94 we went the final 22 league games unbeaten, plus the first 3 (IIRC) in the top flight the year after.

I'd plump for that run being the longest.

I know it’s never going to happen but I’d like to see how McIver and Allan would work together. Even if not from the start try it for a half, say in a game like last Saturday where we were 3 goals up at HT, bring him on and see how it goes. McIver wins a lot in the air and Allan could possibly feed off that.

18 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I know it’s never going to happen but I’d like to see how McIver and Allan would work together. Even if not from the start try it for a half, say in a game like last Saturday where we were 3 goals up at HT, bring him on and see how it goes. McIver wins a lot in the air and Allan could possibly feed off that.

I think we've only seen it this season away at Cove? Allan's goal might actually have been from a MacIver flick on.

The system we have right now works, but if we are going to test a 'Plan B' then games like the Alloa would be the way to do it.

I was never confident of the win as I said in the pre match thread but after going one up I feel we got it wrong tactically. The game was there for us to sit deeper, defend in numbers and hit QoS on the break. However we left ourselves wide open on both wings and paid the price for that several times. QoS could have been ahead before McGlynn changed it on 60odd minutes and I'm glad he did but we could have made the change even with the players on the pitch 10mins after the 1st goal when it was obvious QoS had sussed us out. 
All in all a point was good for us as I don't think we deserved all 3 over the 90mins.

We need to work on it though as more and more teams will play as QoS did, especially at TFS.

14 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Alfie has 4 league goals this season, but no mention on this site.

IMG_2421.png

It's the form/home/away tables you should pay more attention to. Even the opta stat trackers get it wrong with top goalscorers and then pas it on to sky and the bbc etc

Looking to take my daughter to the women's game this afternoon. What's the score with tickets? We are season ticket holders, does that cover them? Or do we need to get tickets separately before we go in?

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Looking to take my daughter to the women's game this afternoon. What's the score with tickets? We are season ticket holders, does that cover them? Or do we need to get tickets separately before we go in?

I'm sure it's free, you just walk in the far side where the Kevin Mcallister stand is.

4 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I’m ecstatic about the start we’ve had and I’m not being critical as the team have been brilliant. I was just wondering if it would be a worthwhile exercise bringing in a coach on a short term basis the way we did with Christophe Berra to work with our front men. The chances we create and miss is still a bit worrying and could maybe start costing us games. As I say though don’t want to sound negative, just wondered if it would be worth trying.

I agree. A great season so far with little criticism.  What I am a tad concerned about is although we have by far the most shots and shots on goal in the league, we have a poor shots to goals ratio.  That doesn't matter if things stay the same, but if teams figure out how to stiffle us a bit better we are going to have a lot more draws and a few defeats because of it at the season goes on.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

12 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I agree. A great season so far with little criticism.  What I am a tad concerned about is although we have by far the most shots and shots on goal in the league, we have a poor shots to goals ratio.  That doesn't matter if things stay the same, but if teams figure out how to stiffle us a bit better we are going to have a lot more draws and a few defeats because of it at the season goes on.

As the 2nd round of games gets going teams will be setting out formations to achieve just that. Break up the rhythm and block the channels we play in. Suspect they will try to close off the wings and channel the attacks inside.

The trick is turning that to our advantage by using their tactics against them and still keeping our own style.

Interesting and enjoyable times ahead as the season progresses

The chances we create and miss is still a bit worrying and could maybe start costing us games

It's interesting you say this because we feel exactly the same! Difference being they already have cost us 4 points (Stirling and Edinburgh City) whilst you lot, until yesterday anyway, seemed to still be able to grind out wins.

Agreed. McGlynn is obviously still stubborn to the extent he’s still subbing MacIver for Allan, and never having them on together. Someone asked if Allan’s goal at Cove came from a MacIver flick on, yes it was. Throwing them both upfront when we’re winning comfortably is a good idea. I think the Formartine game would be good chance to start them and challenge them to forge a partnership and how many that can score for that match.

53 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Agreed. McGlynn is obviously still stubborn to the extent he’s still subbing MacIver for Allan, and never having them on together. Someone asked if Allan’s goal at Cove came from a MacIver flick on, yes it was. Throwing them both upfront when we’re winning comfortably is a good idea. I think the Formartine game would be good chance to start them and challenge them to forge a partnership and how many that can score for that match.

It would certainly give us a plan B and could be something we could use if we are ever chasing an equaliser like we were at Cove.

2 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

It would certainly give us a plan B and could be something we could use if we are ever chasing an equaliser like we were at Cove.

If teams can set up to block our current patterns of play we will have the option of using Allan to change our forward play.

In the top 2/3 goal scorers in the country and a draw at a notoriously difficult venue for us and the old 4-4-2 shouts are coming out. We changed to this last season to accommodate players and it did not work. We have the best front 5 in the league in Alfie, Morrison, Miller, Ross and McIver let’s play to our strengths. You can add Nesbitt, Lawal, Allan and Oliver to that 5 and we have lots of options if people lose form.