The Falkirk FC Thread

21 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I thought this too, looks very much the backup striker to MacIver that McGlynn wants. Thought he was unselfish too a couple of times and that led to a goal.

He won the ball back on the left touchline in the lead up to the 3rd goal. Was really impressed with him on Saturday and again last night. Would have no objections to him starting v Edinburgh. 

I also think we might see Mackie or McGinn start in place of Donaldson with Henderson dropping back if McGinn starts

21 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

I thought Burrell looked decent with the odd scraps he had to feed off but credit to our defence. We just had to make sure he wasn’t allowed to turn which Tam Lang done immensely. Also made sure there was little space for him to run in behind. 

Know they have a few injuries but was surprised at how poor Cove were. That said, our team was flying last night. 

Despite getting no change out of the 2 best defenders in the league, which is really no shame in itself, I think Burrell looked to have noticeably more hustle and bustle about him. Lang bossed him, but I think Lang would tell you he was in a game at least lastmight. 

I suspect Burrell maybe learned from his experience with us, as all sensible players should. He's maybe cottoned on that strikers in today's game even if they aren't target men need to mix it up there physically. I'd say that's an aspect he has improved. However, all the hustle and bustle in the world can't make up for playing in a negative team who were second best all over the park. They were just.never going to be able to feed him more than scraps lastnight and thats to our credit. 

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Despite getting no change out of the 2 best defenders in the league, which is really no shame in itself, I think Burrell looked to have noticeably more hustle and bustle about him. Lang bossed him, but I think Lang would tell you he was in a game at least lastmight. 

I suspect Burrell maybe learned from his experience with us, as all sensible players should. He's maybe cottoned on that strikers in today's game even if they aren't target men need to mix it up there physically. I'd say that's an aspect he has improved. However, all the hustle and bustle in the world can't make up for playing in a negative team who were second best all over the park. They were just.never going to be able to feed him more than scraps lastnight and thats to our credit. 

Aye, I thought Burrell was noticeably more physical last night. Just a pity he was up against the most physical guy in the league!

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, I thought Burrell was noticeably more physical last night. Just a pity he was up against the most physical guy in the league!

Lang - Donaldson are a very similar partnership to Burgess and Manley. Both partnerships boss their area and impose themselves on the opposition and influence the whole team around them.

Transformational signings.

Interesting admission from Hartley, as reported in the Falkirk Herald, “They were simply better than us – we came to try and contain them and get the fans on their backs.”

Needs to do his homework. Falkirk fans don’t get on their team’s backs anymore, but they certainly got on his. 

I think the confidence in the team is epitomised by the number of shots from 35- 40 yards made by our DEFENDERS (Donaldson and McCann yesterday forcing two saves). It really feels like they are just having a laugh at this point, competing within themselves for who can get the most outrageous goal just for fun. Love it.

A fit Fyvie in the cove team probably makes a big difference for them, 8 games no defeats when he has played and two of his goals in those games made sure it was victories and not another draw.

I think the big difference from the above is we have very good replacements/possible starters for every position. Picking a MOM rotates weekly so we ain't relying on one player. We also have our subs making a difference every week.

The first 10 mins or so I thought cove looked well drilled in the job in hand but as soon as we got a foot in the game, there was no turning back. I'd have loved a 5-0 win but 4 is more than adequate.

6 minutes ago, MrDust said:

... I'd have loved a 5-0 win but 4 is more than adequate.

Aye totally spoiled in that I wouldn't have said we'd score 4 but when you see the sitter Nesbitt missed and the one Alfie took off a buoyant Oliver's toes in the 2nd half then 6 wouldn't have flattered us.

Can I just say how much of a pleasure it truly is watching this team? At FT I just stood there, taking it all in, with the KM stand rocking. There's electricity in the air. We all know this is something special we're witnessing.

Shout out the the "young team" who were excellent for the whole 90 mins last night. Even the main stand joining in to serenade Hartley was a particular highlight. Do you know that w*nker left Falkirk, went to an English club, signed 17 players that summer and then left them 2 months into the season? Guy's got no integrity at all. GIRUY!

Thought the players were excellent. A few iffy moments and passes in the first half but grew massively in confidence from the minute Callumn made it 1-0. Two great finishes from Morrison actually. Really hope he stays.

Edited by Raybowski89

3 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

Can I just say how much of a pleasure it truly is watching this team? At FT I just stood there, taking it all in, with the KM stand rocking. There's electricity in the air. We all know this is something special we're witnessing.

Shout out the the "young team" who were excellent for the whole 90 mins last night. Even the main stand joining in to serenade Hartley was a particular highlight. 

Agreed. I was at the game last night with my son (8) and my partners dad (71). My son doesn't know any different but my partners dad even commented how good the atmosphere is with the young team and how well we're playing. 

For me it was walking downstairs in the KM7 stand a few minutes before the end and seeing my 75 year old uncle and his friend clapping along to "if you hate Paul Hartley clap your hands" that showed that even the older generation of fan are loving going to games again and genuinely do hate Hartley

3 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

The connection between players and fans is great to see.  Will help with contract negotiations too, players like Morrison, Donaldson, Henderson etc will struggle to find a better option than Falkirk in the Championship with that backing.  

Hopefully, that's enough to sway Callumn into staying. Yes, he can go missing in some games, but when he's on it (last night) he's unplayable. What's really made the difference this season is that Miller tends to pick up the slack when Callumn's off it, and vice versa happened last night. If he (or anyone else for that matter) gets an opportunity to triple his wages in England, I won't hold it against him, as it's a short career. COYB.

6 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

Hopefully, that's enough to sway Callumn into staying. Yes, he can go missing in some games, but when he's on it (last night) he's unplayable. What's really made the difference this season is that Miller tends to pick up the slack when Callumn's off it, and vice versa happened last night. If he (or anyone else for that matter) gets an opportunity to triple his wages in England, I won't hold it against him, as it's a short career. COYB.

Well it’s the fact of do you want to go somewhere and potentially not win a medal or stay at a club likely to win a trophy possibly 2

a league title might be the only trophy a player gets in their career

with there being enough games left for anyone coming in to get a medal the same situation occurs stay at a club where your either not eligible for a medal if you win a trophy or your club ain’t winning a trophy this year

tldr: triple your wages with no trophy’s on the cards or stay and have 2 shots at a trophy with one more likely than the other but we shouldn’t hold it against Callumn if he chooses the first option unless Saudi is his triple the wages choice (lower tiers of Saudi of course)

13 minutes ago, Hisingdoon said:

Well it’s the fact of do you want to go somewhere and potentially not win a medal or stay at a club likely to win a trophy possibly 2

a league title might be the only trophy a player gets in their career

with there being enough games left for anyone coming in to get a medal the same situation occurs stay at a club where your either not eligible for a medal if you win a trophy or your club ain’t winning a trophy this year

tldr: triple your wages with no trophy’s on the cards or stay and have 2 shots at a trophy with one more likely than the other but we shouldn’t hold it against Callumn if he chooses the first option unless Saudi is his triple the wages choice (lower tiers of Saudi of course)

I suppose it's really down to the players themselves and what their priorities are. In Callumn's case, you'd *think* he'd want something to show for his time at the club. He's been here through some pretty bleak times, but a couple of medals could be heading his way soon, fingers crossed. He's still pretty young at, what, 24 years of age? If he gives us another couple of years, we could be pushing for Premiership status. I imagine the offers on the table at that point would be far better than anything available right now. Again, I hope he stays as we're a far better team with him in it.

Edited by Raybowski89

1 hour ago, Raybowski89 said:

Shout out the the "young team" who were excellent for the whole 90 mins last night. Even the main stand joining in to serenade Hartley was a particular highlight. Do you know that w*nker left Falkirk, went to an English club, signed 17 players that summer and then left them 2 months into the season? Guy's got no integrity at all. GIRUY!

There's a known trick in football that you inflate players wages and they pay you back with most of the signing on fee. Barry Fry was known for that. I always wonder why Hartley signs so many players every club he goes to with no view to ability, I'm sure that would not be true of him. 

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee

Feels like there's actually a point to going up with this squad. Because it will be very very competitive in the Championship. 

We could conceivably have scraped up one of these last few seasons but done so knowing we needed 10 new players in the summer

We already have a squad if we can keep it that will challenge for the playoffs in the league above us.

1 minute ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Feels like there's actually a point to going up with this squad. Because it will be very very competitive in the Championship. 

We could conceivably have scraped up one of these last few seasons but done so knowing we needed 10 new players in the summer

We already have a squad if we can keep it that will challenge for the playoffs in the league above us.

This was kinda my point earlier before I got roundly red dotted. This squad is good and with a bit of luck we’ll keep the nucleus of it if we go up next season. I am enjoying the games, the connection between the club and fans is back too which is fantastic. I’m just not getting carried away in L2 (though 0 losses and an 80% win rate is a fantastic achievement by all involved).