The Falkirk FC Thread

9 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Rankin is pretty clueless mind you. Who in their right mind would think Kevin O'Hara is a better player than Euan Henderson.

Euan Henderson is only on a one year contract. I would take him in the championship next season tbh.

6 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Hate to be a be a bit of a downer, and I generally agree that the quality of the Championship is pretty dogshit, but I don’t think we can read overly much into the cup games against teams from the league above. Appreciate we’ve done very well against them this year, but competing at a level above week in week out is totally different to a one-off game. 

If you are beating championship clubs consistently though  then I reckon you can fancy your chances a league up. We've played Dundee united twice . Should've got a draw the first game and we horsed them the second game. Our game against Patrick we were by far the better side but a mistake by long cost us and even then we were the better side with ten men.  Against Ayr and queens park the wins were more comfortable than the scorelines suggest. I'm not saying we'd win the league but I'd fancy us to be fighting it out for a playoff spot. The pars are only 4 points off the top 4 and I reckoned we have a better side than they had last season and they haven't changed it much this season.

Edited by Shodwall cat

38 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Yeah, I think everyone would love the stadium to get completed. But that’s sort of the point I’m making if we could get back into the premiership and average 5.5k -6k home fans for a run of the mill premiership game. Then big games like local derbys, or Scottish cup quarter finals could attract even more fans, then at that point a fourth stand is both economically sensible and financial viable. I think for most fans a forth stand is an absolute pipe dream but the point I’m trying to make it that maybe, just maybe we aren’t actually that far away from it. Yes yes, not even promoted out of league 1 yet and I’m getting far too ahead of myself.

Och I'm more than happy to get a little ahead of myself and dream about the future for FFC. There's just so much positivity at the moment that you can't help but indulge in thoughts of what the road ahead will look like. And to think - many people (myself included) wanted McGlynn gone after the Airdrie debacle. What a turnaround it's been for him.

3 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Yeah we still need 6-8 new signings next year to compete at the top end of the championship next season.

Presuming we keep the full squad together. I really don’t think we would, 2 or 3 that are quality enough to go straight into the first 11 and that team easily competes with a Partick thistle or Raith Rovers or Airdrie looking at they’re respective squads. Airdrie are sitting in 4th at the moment with more or less the same team that finished 7 points behind us (all be it eventually doing us in the playoff)

1 minute ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Presuming we keep the full squad together. I really don’t think we would, 2 or 3 that are quality enough to go straight into the first 11 and that team easily competes with a Partick thistle or Raith Rovers or Airdrie looking at they’re respective squads. Airdrie are sitting in 4th at the moment with more or less the same team that finished 7 points behind us (all be it eventually doing us in the playoff)

Considering there’s 6-10 players that are out of contract and either won’t be renewed or will leave, whatever way you cut it we will need a lot more than 2-3 signings. Just to simply keep a 20-23 man squad. Long, Hogarth, Bisland, McKay, Mackie, McGinn, Oliver, lawal, Ross, Morrison and shanley are all out of contract. That’s 11 players. Say you keep Morrison, Ross, Hogarth and shanley. That’s still 7 players we need to sign to keep the same squad size. Now, Morrison we will probably struggle to keep, and we will definitely need to replace him. Ross I would keep but he’s not nailed down a space in the starting 11. Shanley is too early to tell and the jury is  still out on Hogarth.

57 minutes ago, AGPar said:

And guess what? He's up against (a) a manager who has also been very well backed across every transfer window for which he has been in charge and (b) a team who are on an exceptional run of good form. That's the context which you singularly fail to mention in any of your myriad diatribes against Rankin, so I've done it for you.

Coming off second best to a far bigger club having an excellent season is nothing like the massive underachievement that you and a few other Hamilton fantasists believe it to be. 

Yeah Falkirk are a very good side no accies fan is taking that away from them I've not seen any accies fan say Falkirk are a bad side and i certainly don't think that myself. However again this manager got us relegated last season and should have gone then. We lost 5-0 at Morton, 7-0 at Dundee a week after winning a trophy, 4-0 down against Queens Park at half-time. We failed to beat a part time side last season at home who were down to 10 men for 75 minutes of the game. Failed to beat Cove all season as well he should haven't even gotten to this season after his disaster last year. This season out league cup at the first stage due to his naive management in games at home against Brechin and Cove out of the Scottish Cup at the first stage after losing at home to Kelty Hearts. His subs either kills us or he takes far too long to make the right change. Some examples of this he takes a winger off for a poor left back at Cove when we were chasing for a goal, Cove then score a couple of minutes later and we go onto lose that game. He leaves Euan Henderson on the bench when searching for a goal at Alloa and instead brings Mikey Hewitt and Dylan Tait on. We bring on Joel Mumbongo for Hendrie against Falkirk 2 things wrong with that change first thing it then leaves us far too open which Falkirk took advantage off and scored the third. The other thing wrong with it is that we have a much better striker on the bench who barely gets a chance in Joe McGlynn (who when being given the odd chance has shown there's quality and potential in him) due to him not being one of Rankin's favourites which we've seen a lot of during his management of him having his favourites and giving players far too much gametime when every accies fan can see we have better options available that barely gets given a chance. Rankin got us relegated last season and won't be the man who gets us back into the championship.

6 minutes ago, falkirkbairn23 said:

"It's taken them five years to get to this position". Aye, and no thanks to Hartley. 16 players he signed, before dropping Falkirk after what was it, 3 matches the season we went down? Absolute charlatan and pr*ck of the highest order.

10 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Considering there’s 6-10 players that are out of contract and either won’t be renewed or will leave, whatever way you cut it we will need a lot more than 2-3 signings. Just to simply keep a 20-23 man squad. Long, Hogarth, Bisland, McKay, Mackie, McGinn, Oliver, lawal, Ross, Morrison and shanley are all out of contract. That’s 11 players. Say you keep Morrison, Ross, Hogarth and shanley. That’s still 7 players we need to sign to keep the same squad size. Now, Morrison we will probably struggle to keep, and we will definitely need to replace him. Ross I would keep but he’s not nailed down a space in the starting 11. Shanley is too early to tell and the jury is  still out on Hogarth.

Most of those are squad players and who says every one of those players will necessarily leave (if they do they would obviously be replaced), I’d actually elect to keep a few. The only one who looks like will be gone is Morrison and even that is up for debate pending which league we are in. Point stands that we don’t need to do much in the way of changing our best 11 to be competing at the proper end of that championship table. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

58 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Yeah, I think everyone would love the stadium to get completed. But that’s sort of the point I’m making if we could get back into the premiership and average 5.5k -6k home fans for a run of the mill premiership game. Then big games like local derbys, or Scottish cup quarter finals could attract even more fans, then at that point a fourth stand is both economically sensible and financial viable. I think for most fans a forth stand is an absolute pipe dream but the point I’m trying to make it that maybe, just maybe we aren’t actually that far away from it. Yes yes, not even promoted out of league 1 yet and I’m getting far too ahead of myself.

No need for a fancy stand like the other 3. Hardcore base paved with seating for 15 rows future proofed for conversion to terracing should regulations change. Low roof to funnel the noise and surely the cheapest option.

Not going near the existing stadium subject everybody knows my feelings on it.

This post's a constructive (excuse the pun) suggestion on how to complete the complex.

22 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Yeah we still need 6-8 new signings next year to compete at the top end of the championship next season.

Calm yourself, most of the starting 11 from this season would be able to make the step up no bother. More worried about us keeping a hold of them after the season we're having.

Yeats, Donaldson, Mccann and Hendo are all out of contract. Morrison will be away so we'll need a replacement for him but that could well end up being Ethan Ross. 

10 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Most of those are squad players and who says every one of those players will necessarily leave (if they do they would obviously be replaced), I’d actually elect to keep a few. The only one who looks like will be gone is Morrison and even that is up for debate pending which league we are in? Point stands that we don’t need to do much in the way of changing our best 11 to be competing at the proper end of that championship table. 

Yeah I do agree we don’t need too many new players. But we also can’t get complacent /naive and believe that just two or three new signings and all of a sudden we can compete at the top end of the championship. We need 6-8 new players that will come in and provide quality, competition, and cover. You talk about keeping some players that are out of contract. Ok let’s say we do manage to keep Morrison, and we resign Ross, Hogarth, and shanley. Long and Bisland return to their parent clubs. McGinn is retiring. So there’s 3 signings right there we need. Who out of mckay, Mackie, Oliver and lawal are you keeping? We cannot get complacent and use up some of the budget on players that cannot get a game for us is league 1 and weren’t good enough to get us promoted last year. Especially if we have aspirations (and rightly so) of competing for play offs/ promotions and maybe even the title.

Edited by Big chungus

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Calm yourself, most of the starting 11 from this season would be able to make the step up no bother. More worried about us keeping a hold of them after the season we're having.

Yeats, Donaldson, Mccann and Hendo are all out of contract. Morrison will be away so we'll need a replacement for him but that could well end up being Ethan Ross. 

At this level with most players on 1-2 year contracts 6-8 signings every summer is getting on for being the bear minimum. Like I’ve said the other players out of contract will need to be replaced. Not including Yeats, Donaldson, Mcann and Hendo and who I think everyone would keep will need to be accounted for. The simple maths equates to 6-8 new signings.

16 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Yeah I do agree we don’t need too many new players. But we also can’t get complacent /naive and believe that just two or three new signings and all of a sudden we can compete at the top end of the championship. We need 6-8 new players that will come in and provide quality, competition, and cover. You talk about keeping some players that are out of contract. Ok let’s say we do manage to keep Morrison, and we resign Ross, Hogarth, and shanley. Long and Bisland return to their parent clubs. McGinn is retiring. So there’s 3 signings right there we need. Who out of mckay, Mackie, Oliver and lawal are you keeping? We cannot get complacent and use up some of the budget on players that cannot get a game for us is league 1 and weren’t good enough to get us promoted last year. Especially if we have aspirations (and rightly so) of competing for play offs/ promotions and maybe even the title.

I’m far more concerned with keeping the squad together than ripping it up to be honest. If McKay , Lawal, McGinn are the only three that leave and we replace them with better and keep the rest including the guys on loan I’d say that squad is easily good enough to compete at the top end of the championship. It’s harsh to say the players on the bench aren’t good enough because they have almost all shown quality and contributed this season at various times. Continuity breeds consistency and I’d be wary of willingly ripping up a winning side in an attempt to try and find better players that may not be out there. (Only question mark regarding the current 11 for me is the goalkeeping position however I’m happy as I presume Mcglynn is to wait and see how they both perform between now and the end of the season before making a decision, perhaps trying to keep one of them then bringing in another keeper if sufficient quality is available might be the way to go)

Edited by LatapyBairn.

3 hours ago, falkirkbairn23 said:

Someone on twitter has just pointed out that at 1.30 there is someone in the background whistling to the tune of "F*** you Hartley, we're gonna win the league" and its made my day. Hero.👏👏

Edited by Jimmy1876

15 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I’m far more concerned with keeping the squad together than ripping it up to be honest. If McKay , Lawal, McGinn are the only three that leave and we replace them with better and keep the rest including the guys on loan I’d say that squad is easily good enough to compete at the top end of the championship. It’s harsh to say the players on the bench aren’t good enough because they have almost all shown quality and contributed this season at various times. Continuity breeds consistency and I’d be wary of willingly ripping up a winning side in an attempt to try and find better players that may not be out there. (Only question mark regarding the current 11 for me is the goalkeeping position however I’m happy as I presume Mcglynn is to wait and see how they both perform between now and the end of the season before making a decision, perhaps trying to keep one of them then bringing in another keeper if sufficient quality is available might be the way to go)

I’m not suggesting we rip up the entire squad though. You said we need 2-3 new signings. But you’ve also said McKay, lawal, and McGinn will go and the two loan players will need replaced. Well that’s 5 signings already. And that’s also presuming we keep Morrison. 6-8 new signings at face value may seem like a lot but what I’m trying to explain is when you break it down that’s about the number of signings we will need in order to keep the same squad size. I am also giving you the benefit of the doubt by resigning Mackie and Oliver which I think at least 50% of the fan base would not resign. Plus shanley who we’ve only seen for 70 minutes and Hogarth who you’ve also stated there is still question marks over. Again I think most of the fanbase would agree with that. 

Edited by Big chungus

A lot of speculative talk on here tonight about the season end, and contracts etc. With all respect we’ve half a season of games to go. Let’s not get above our station and although it’s great to be on the current journey, let’s focus on each game as it comes. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Someone on twitter has just pointed out that at 1.30 there is someone in the background whistling to the tune of "F*** Paul Hartley, we're gonna win the league" and its made my day. Hero.👏👏

For me the problem with Hartley wasn't his ability (or lack of it) as a manager, it was how he treated people. Maybe he's learned his lesson because he seemed a lot more humble and polite in that interview than he used to with wee Lewis! The way he spoke to him was truly ignorant, and that was to a nicer guy you couldn't meet.

29 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

No need for a fancy stand like the other 3. Hardcore base paved with seating for 15 rows future proofed for conversion to terracing should regulations change. Low roof to funnel the noise and surely the cheapest option.

Not going near the existing stadium subject everybody knows my feelings on it.

This post's a constructive (excuse the pun) suggestion on how to complete the complex.

You can already have terracing. Even in Europe (as Union Berlin showed last season).

I'm genuinely stunned QP have not built a simple stadium with their wanky Royal Box, a stand along one side and covered terracing behind each goal tbh.

Just now, Springfield said:

A lot of speculative talk on here tonight about the season end, and contracts etc. With all respect we’ve half a season of games to go. Let’s not get above our station and although it’s great to be on the current journey, let’s focus on each game as it comes. 

Totally agree, I suppose I just like speculative talk like this on the forum. I think it’s what makes up a substantial portion of the page as well.