The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Wasn’t at the game myself today, how did McGinn play? That seemed like a baffling one to me for him to start. I think he has an important role to play coming off the bench for the remainder of the season but starting a game?  Not for me. 

Forgot he was even playing and I'm not even bamming you up. With Spencer and Hendo in the middle, they throw themselves about and get stuck in. I'm struggling to see what McGinn actually does when he plays though. He was completely anonymous.

Maybe I'm being harsh as he is not long back from an injury.

Edited by Raybowski89

14 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

Forgot he was even playing and I'm not even bamming you up. With Spencer and Hendo in the middle, they throw themselves about and get stuck in. I'm struggling to see what McGinn actually does when he plays though. He was completely anonymous.

Maybe I'm being harsh as he is not long back from an injury.

This, absolutely.  When we made our subs at half time I was trying to figure out who went off.  At that point I suddenly realised McGinn had been on the park for 45 and I hadn’t noticed.

Although at least part of that is due to not being able to see much at that ground!

Edited by Disco Duck

3 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

It is that bad in this one-off instance. McGlynn has had a shocker today, brain fart, call it what you will.

We've been saying all week that our biggest threat this season is ourselves. This is complacency, no doubts about it. McGlynn thought he could just turn up and beat a team who are fighting for their very existence and need no extra motivation. One positive though I suppose is - any squad players moaning about not getting a game don't have a leg to stand on now. Yous got your chance and blew it spectacularly.

One thing I realised tonight that makes it even more madness to change to a formation we aren’t used to is that we had little time to actually train to adapt to it. We played on Tuesday, were off Wednesday so only could practice it Thursday and Friday which is no time really to learn a totally alien formation. Would prefer we did the changing of the team next week in what’s sure to be an interesting game on a cow field.

1 hour ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

.Put today behind us, start our strongest 11 at all times and let's keep up the momentum and good feeling. We've come way too far for one bad day to throw us and it's still entirely in our hands.

This.

It's a bad day from what sounds largely like a managerial brain fart or perhaps a bit of arrogance.

In the great scheme of things it's only an unexpected 2 points dropped by a team who are by a distance the best team in the league. 

Falkirk will absolutely be champions this season.

Dust settled for me now. I had high hopes when I saw Allan and Oliver up top today, how wrong I was. McGlynn clearly made a massive miscalculation in team selection and formation, and also completely underestimated Edinburgh’s team. In the same breath, the fringe players who started today also need to shoulder their share of responsibility. I was expecting those fringe players to clearly show what they can offer on the pitch with fire in their bellies - we got heehaw and an insipid performance from the them. This doesn’t bode well for those fringe players and makes McGlynn’s team selections easier going forward (providing LESSONS HAVE BEEN LEARNED from today’s debacle!). Keeping players like Allan, Alfie and Mackie on the bench can be done guilt free from a management viewpoint as they never showed up today. The regular first XI most certainly picks itself from this day forward. I can see McGlynn’s logic in wanting to rotate but he should have started with his strongest team to get well ahead in the game, before drip feeding the subs in to the game at an earlier stage, reducing the disruption. 5/6 changes to the starting 11 in one swoop is insanity and should never happen again. It was clear the players were confused on what to do first half and this emboldened Edinburgh further. In the players’ defence, and mentioned earlier, I was also in the stand and heard Spencer go absolutely tonto as he entered the changing room so the squad knew fine well about the clusterf**k. Second half we were bailed out by the recognised first teamers and thank fk for the gift of Calvin Miller, and thanks for bagging that pressure penalty. Made a crazy day that little worthwhile and unbeaten in 26. The thing that irks me most is the self-inflicted nature of it all, and so so unnecessary! But John McGlynn please don’t ever take a sledgehammer to a settled winning team like that again.

Edited by GunnerBairn

13 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Dust settled for me now. I had high hopes when I saw Allan and Oliver up top today, how wrong I was. McGlynn clearly made a massive miscalculation in team selection and formation, and also completely underestimated Edinburgh’s team. In the same breath, the fringe players who started today also need to shoulder their share of responsibility. I was expecting those fringe players to clearly show what they can offer on the pitch with fire in their bellies - we got heehaw and an insipid performance from the them. This doesn’t bode well for those fringe players and makes McGlynn’s team selections easier going forward (providing LESSONS HAVE BEEN LEARNED from today’s debacle!). Keeping players like Allan, Alfie and Mackie on the bench can be done guilt free from a management viewpoint as they never showed up today. The regular first XI most certainly picks itself from this day forward. I can see McGlynn’s logic in wanting to rotate but he should have started with his strongest team to get well ahead in the game, before drip feeding the subs in to the game at an earlier stage, reducing the disruption. 5/6 changes to the starting 11 in one swoop is insanity and should never happen again. It was clear the players were confused on what to do first half and this emboldened Edinburgh further. In the players’ defence, and mentioned earlier, I was also in the stand and heard Spencer go absolutely tonto as he entered the changing room so the squad knew fine well about the clusterf**k. Second half we were bailed out by the recognised first teamers and thank fk for the gift of Calvin Miller, and thanks for bagging that pressure penalty. Made a crazy day that little worthwhile and unbeaten in 26. The thing that irks me most is the self-inflicted nature of it all, and so so unnecessary! But John McGlynn please don’t ever take a sledgehammer to a settled winning team like that again.

That's it folks. Nothing else needs to be said on this, as @GunnerBairn has summed it up expertly, I'd say. Totally agree with everything you've said. Just glad we didn't lose.

Really grinds too that next week’s pitch is terrible meaning greater risk of injury. 

If we’d played that team today next week and lost or played similarly I wouldn’t have given 2 fecks. 

1 hour ago, HonestAl said:

Those Raith Rovers fans warned us last season about his tinkering (and that came to pass too) but I (we) am dumbfounded that this was repeated here.  

See I'm the opposite. I don't think he tinkers at all, though today was obviously a massive exception which will probably never be repeated. 

IMO we're very predictable in terms of lineup. Every Falkirk fan knows what our team will be in 99% of games if everyone is fit. Even in cup matches he doesn't normally change much. The Ayr game earlier in the season was probably has most wildcard lineup: Oliver in for Spencer, Allan in for MacIver and Lawal in for Agyeman. And I'm sure Alfie had a knock. That was him tinkering and it was three changes out of ten outfield players. 

I think you've got McGlynn wrong. He pretty much sticks to the tried and tested every week, today excepted. And given how badly it went I doubt he'll do it again.

The only other time he pulled something wild was at Kelty last season when he played McCann at rightback. If you look at the rest of the changes that day, all were reasonable. (Mackie in an LB which was the position he was signed to play, Yeats replaced Oliver in midfield as the latter had been sent off in the last game at Dundee, and Hendo replacing Mackie at CH. I think that was also the position he was signed to play.) 

I see McGlynn as a safe manager who very rarely changes his lineup.

From what I read on here last season, the Dunfermline manager changed his team almost every week and it brought him success. Whereas McGlynn used to get criticised because he only had one way of playing. 

Today he tried to break the mould and do something different. It didn't work. To me that makes him the complete opposite of a tinkerer. And given his normally cautious nature, I'm sure he;'ll never do it again. 

Edited by Bainsfordbairn

25 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

This.

It's a bad day from what sounds largely like a managerial brain fart or perhaps a bit of arrogance.

In the great scheme of things it's only an unexpected 2 points dropped by a team who are by a distance the best team in the league. 

Falkirk will absolutely be champions this season.

The latter 1000 percent

53 minutes ago, Raybowski89 said:

No wonder Tam Lang was raging! Coll at RB? Mackie at LB? Hendo at CB? Wtf was that all about? Changing the front 3 is one thing but why completely change a defensive unit that has kept clean sheets in the last 3 games? I'm honestly completely dumbfounded by the logic behind those decisions in particular.

Also the spine of the team, Lang n Donaldson and Henderson n Spencer would've gave us more a chance in the first half, tho a Yeats or McCann in there too

I do think McGlynn still wants to prove he was right wanting Mackie as his left back. McCann was probably my mom for us, he was everywhere and doing what he does week in week out being a very good attacking full back. If I was Mackie I'd try and shape my career as a centre half onwards

15 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Dust settled for me now. I had high hopes when I saw Allan and Oliver up top today,

You take the supply away and they were always gonna struggle, only Ross for me can do what the four do that we took out, Agyeman can but it's been months since he's performed like he did early in the season and recently has been poor, today no different.

Yeats put the cross in for our first goal, god knows how many crosses Morrison, miller and McCann have put in that have ended as goals.

I'd resigned at the 70ish min mark that a point is the best we will come away with, not being able to use another sub after then dented our chances and that stems from starting 11.

The penalty I actually thought Donaldson was walking for diving.

I'm glad McGlynn pointed blame to himself in interview, previously he has pointed towards the players, worst one being kelty away.

Onwards and lessons learnt that there is no easy games that we can change more than half a team 

6 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Today he tried to break the mould and do something different. It didn't work. To me that makes him the complete opposite of a tinkerer. 

I’ve no doubt the players have an excellent working relationship with their ‘gaffer’. Today it just seemed like McGlynn made the changes out of professional respect for his fringe players, to give them that chance and platform to impress. Unfortunately, the gaffer’s gesture of goodwill collapsed, and came in a live high stakes League game where we are desperate for as many points on the board as possible. For me, the players and management, collectively, need to shoulder this brain fart of a game. The stakes are simply too high for the Club for internal sentimentality, and I’d wager they all know this now in the dressing room.

That was crazy from McGlynn. At the same time, those fringe players can never chap his door now to ask why they aren't playing. McGinn is completely done, Mackie was dire, Alfie was what we were told he'd be like and that's me finished with Allan, what a pathetic performance from him.

A shocker from McGlynn and hopefully won't cost us in the quest to get to the Championship.

20 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

See I'm the opposite. I don't think he tinkers at all, though today was obviously a massive exception which will probably never be repeated. 

IMO we're very predictable in terms of lineup. Every Falkirk fan knows what our team will be in 99% of games if everyone is fit. Even in cup matches he doesn't normally change much. The Ayr game earlier in the season was probably has most wildcard lineup: Oliver in for Spencer, Allan in for MacIver and Lawal in for Agyeman. And I'm sure Alfie had a knock. That was him tinkering and it was three changes out of ten outfield players. 

I think you've got McGlynn wrong. He pretty much sticks to the tried and tested every week, today excepted. And given how badly it went I doubt he'll do it again.

The only other time he pulled something wild was at Kelty last season when he played McCann at rightback. If you look at the rest of the changes that day, all were reasonable. (Mackie in an LB which was the position he was signed to play, Yeats replaced Oliver in midfield as the latter had been sent off in the last game at Dundee, and Hendo replacing Mackie at CH. I think that was also the position he was signed to play.) 

I see McGlynn as a safe manager who very rarely changes his lineup.

From what I read on here last season, the Dunfermline manager changed his team almost every week and it brought him success. Whereas McGlynn used to get criticised because he only had one way of playing. 

Today he tried to break the mould and do something different. It didn't work. To me that makes him the complete opposite of a tinkerer. And given his normally cautious nature, I'm sure he;'ll never do it again. 

Last season he drip fed max into the team then realised he was too good not to be in the 11. He then at times had Henderson wide left, Nesbitt and even max wide left which didn't benefit the team.

Week in week out we didn't know who our striker would be, burrell or the rangers boy. Oliver then had a purple patch and we were pretty regular, then January gave him more options.

I said on record that the smaller squad and injuries this season has helped him be less tinker than he was last season, hopefully that continues after today.

A prime example, I religiously check team line 2 pm every week, last Saturday I didn't as I knew it would be same 11, I honestly couldn't say that last season. The Scottish cup semi final last season everyone was wow that burrell started, he had too many options 

I wasn’t there, so was it the personnel change, the formation, or a combination of both?
That McGlynn has accepted responsibility is a step forward from Airdrie, yet like the Albion manager the other week, he couldn’t see the mistake quickly & rectify it, waiting until half time to make changes en masse? As some were calling for changes before the half was out!

The potato print quality of the highlights don’t help but the dive for the penalty ( in response to him being held/jumper pulled) was outside the box I’d warrant. No wonder Edinburgh were raging. We got lucky there. 

14 minutes ago, Roboccop said:

The potato print quality of the highlights don’t help but the dive for the penalty ( in response to him being held/jumper pulled) was outside the box I’d warrant. No wonder Edinburgh were raging. We got lucky there. 

It was in the box. Ball's in the box, Donaldson and the defender are on the line (which is part of the box). The defender was daft, Donaldson was smart, he's felt the pull and was cute enough to go down. Given the penalties we've been denied over the past few seasons, I'll take it!

37 minutes ago, kiddy said:

I wasn’t there, so was it the personnel change, the formation, or a combination of both?
That McGlynn has accepted responsibility is a step forward from Airdrie, yet like the Albion manager the other week, he couldn’t see the mistake quickly & rectify it, waiting until half time to make changes en masse? As some were calling for changes before the half was out!

Difficult to tell from the view but still looked like 4-2-3-1 to me with a back 4 of Mackie Henderson Lang & Donaldson. McGinn and Spencer sitting behind Ross Oliver and Agyeman, with Allan up front. Didnt work at all with Agyeman, Allan and Mackie particularly poor. McGinn didnt look fit and Donaldson was clearly uncomfortable at right back. Think he might have swapped with Lang at some point who looked equally out of position there. Hopefully McGlynn has learned his lesson, 2 points needlessly thrown away 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

Penalty looks borderline. His feet are certainly outside the box. On saying that the corner they got their first from certainly wasn't a corner.  Might've been a foul on Long too .Ref didn't seem to have much of a clue. At the penalty one of their players is actually standing in the box as before miller even starts his run up but the ref does nothing about it.