The Falkirk FC Thread

44 minutes ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Absolutely agree he was answering someone who asked directly. And like I said I'm absolutely sure everything he said was correct, the Alloa highlights and platform are excellent. I also agree there are always improvements that can be made and if the quality improved that'd be great. 

My issue is with things like calling the platform Pars TV obviously to try and provoke people here. Likewise comments about how a club like ours (obviously with sarcasm) should really have invested in training, when it's clear it's a new team (which is where the volunteer part came in) and our financial situation has been clearly laid bare. Then the general language of calling it shit when while there are improvements to be made it is clearly not.

These snide little comments to me just come across as if to try and tear down aspects of the media team that firstly were not in question and secondly a way to make himself superior. Which is why I say, it's not the advice that is the issue, but how it's delivered. 

I’m not too bothered who we pay for the service as long as it’s good value but I don’t get too bothered about it being called Pars TV as it isn’t totally inaccurate as sure it is run by Pars fans who also run Pars TV. Was something that was questioned by our own fans when contracted too. Regardless, he didn’t seem to be using it in an antagonistic way but just calling it what he believed it to be. Personally I’m not that bothered as been happy enough with the quality of the stream whenever I’ve watched. 

It’s only when he started getting attacked that he bit back but I still don’t think he was looking to have a go at any individuals. Felt like he got attacked for no good reason then piled on as a result. Look back at his posts and see how it unravelled. I wouldn’t agree that our product is rubbish but to someone who obviously takes care about uploading in as high a resolution as he can, then it’s maybe just as he sees it. The quality of upload is most likely a misunderstanding of process rather than a lack of skill. In any case he didn’t come on to critique our coverage but ended up being tasked to comment after being hounded for responding to how it could be better. 

I have read it back and it still looks to me like one guy coming on to give help then being ganged on as a result. 

Edited by Dave McInally

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Covered in many posts but a truly deserving three points. Although I agree with the comments of many of the Millers Morrisons and Lang’s, probably worth mentioning the guys like McCann and Yeats. Maybe not mentioned as often when you have so many up in the headlights. Watched Yeats at yards away today and his gameplay was brilliant. Same with McCann, peach of a pass first half to make another Miller run. 
Hamilton game is massive, win it and we won’t be far away. Lastly I’ve given Long big, thought his first half performance was so much improved and hope he returns my sun cream after the second 45🤣

Is it even more massive than the most massive game we have had in 5 years at Alloa yesterday. How will it rate in your lists of massive ? 

7 minutes ago, Dave McInally said:

I’m not too bothered who we pay for the service as long as it’s good value but I don’t get too bothered about it being called Pars TV as it isn’t totally inaccurate as sure it is run by Pars fans who also run Pars TV. Was something that was questioned by our own fans when contracted too. Regardless, he didn’t seem to be using it in an antagonistic way to but just calling it what he believed it to be. Personally I’m not that bothered as been happy enough with the quality of the stream whenever I’ve watched. 

It’s only when he started getting attacked that he bit back but I still don’t think he was looking to have a go at any individuals. Felt like he got attacked for no good reason then piled on as a result. Look back at his posts and see how it unravelled. I wouldn’t agree that our product is rubbish but to someone who obviously takes care about uploading in as high a resolution as he can, then it’s maybe just as he sees it. The quality of upload is most likely a misunderstanding of process rather than a lack of skill. In any case he didn’t come on to critique our coverage but ended up being tasked to comment after being hounded for responding to how it could be better. 

I have read it back and it still looks to me like one guy coming on to give help then being ganged on as a result. 

Nah he's a w**k, but he knows that and plays up to it so it's all good.

4 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I did wonder if McGlynn was trying to make a statement re his substitutes by making five changes at once again today. They got criticised for their first half performance at Edinburgh City and there was concern about heads going down after being replaced at half time. He gave them another chance (well most of them) at Alloa today and boy did they prove any doubters wrong.

Really delighted that we have such quality on the bench and I think we can now finally say that despite concerns prior to today…….

Still shouldn't be making 5 subs like that for me.

6 changes, taking out you're creative wide players all 4 wide ones, formation change, playing a Donaldson at right back....I could go on...

Sorry McGlynn threw those 6 under a bus and for me and he good as admitted it. I don't agree with 5 subs at once but tbh if we went down to 10 men maybe 9 through an injury we still wouldn't have lost today. 

But we move on, I didn't even mention bonnyrigg...both are in a drawer to be brought up years later not now....well for me 

11 hours ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

Yeah...he can play football..has a nice double fade on him but his legs are Biafran... strange that he wouldn't be in the gym all day after training bringing them up to scratch but there you go... potential is there but will probably remain unfulfilled 

Maybe want to consider editing your post mate?

8 hours ago, Shabba said:

This is amazing

My favourite part of it is undoubtedly the guy in the background looking for a way to insult Rankin and managing to come up with is “Rankin your a f***ing balloon” 😂😂😂

Edited by FFC1982
Spelling

14 hours ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

While we are revelling in the moment, I have a question.

It's time I got a new Falkirk shirt, so can someone confirm if the XL is more a loose fit or if it helps to buy 1 size up?

Get a size up

11 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

9 hours ago, Dave McInally said:

Have to say the picture quality of Alloa’s highlights are much better. Not sure how we upload them but should  have been asking for help from people like @LeodhasXDrather than jump on the pile on he received last week when trying to be of assistance. I get if it’s a time constraint for our volunteers but seems it has tried to have been rectified without success then have a pop at another volunteer in the process. If it’s no extra hassle for our volunteers then should be solved for the benefit of our fans and not to have a dig at an Alloa volunteer. 

Sit doon, he's a walloper. 

8 hours ago, Jimmy1876 said:

There is trying to be of assistance and then there is just being a bit arrogant and contemptuous. I'm sure everything he said was absolutely correct, but there is certainly a way to approach these things. And trying to degrade other social media teams on pie and bov and suggesting you have the best quality highlights in scottish football is not the way in my opinion. It's one thing for fans and especially paying fans to make comments on quality and ask for better, it's another for a social media representative to tear down another's clubs team. Just a way to go about things and I think that was the issue, not the fact he was giving advice. 

Spot on here. He's full of himself. Not trying to help anyone, just comes across as a bit of dick to be honest. 

9 hours ago, Dave McInally said:

Have to say the picture quality of Alloa’s highlights are much better. Not sure how we upload them but should  have been asking for help from people like @LeodhasXDrather than jump on the pile on he received last week when trying to be of assistance. I get if it’s a time constraint for our volunteers but seems it has tried to have been rectified without success then have a pop at another volunteer in the process. If it’s no extra hassle for our volunteers then should be solved for the benefit of our fans and not to have a dig at an Alloa volunteer. 

I was responsible for highlights for many years until the end of 2020/21, the ones below were from the same camera that is still used today (the one that you recommend ahead of the Covid season) and I recorded and edited in 4k. 

The quality is night and day to what they are producing now, the only reason I can presume is that they are editing from a copy of the live stream rather than by taking a recording directly from the camera - presumably to save time as replays will already be made for them.

Personally I would rather they spent an extra hour editing to get that quality or the quality @LeodhasXD produces for Alloa now as they are miles ahead of ours.

I did get my hopes up when I saw  “high quality highlights” mentioned but sadly no change.

10 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Just watching the hightlights.  Before anyone gets at me, yes I know everyone involved are volunteers and their service is much appreciated.  BUT there is something fundamentally wrong with how the video is being processed for highlights.  It's truely awful.   It might look ok on a tiny phone screen, but on my computer the frame rate is so low and jerky it is very uncomfortable to watch.  Surely it can't just be me that is experiencing this?  What is going wrong here?  It's as if whole bunches of frames are being dropped every second.

Also very appreciative of the volunteers running this service.

I enjoy the highlights, the commentary is excellent and far exceeds what was provided before (even though we do love Lewis).

However, moments like yesterday, I want to watch on the biggest, broadest, most obnoxious TV possible and that's when you really see the poor quality of the image. So I am resigned often to watching behind my laptop and that way it's less noticeable.

It's a minor inconvenience and soon, we'll be "oifis bogsa" on BBC Alba and the quality that brings - Sgoinneil!

5 minutes ago, SouthStandBairn said:

I was responsible for highlights for many years until the end of 2020/21, the ones below were from the same camera that is still used today (the one that you recommend ahead of the Covid season) and I recorded and edited in 4k. 

The quality is night and day to what they are producing now, the only reason I can presume is that they are editing from a copy of the live stream rather than by taking a recording directly from the camera - presumably to save time as replays will already be made for them.

Personally I would rather they spent an extra hour editing to get that quality or the quality @LeodhasXD produces for Alloa now as they are miles ahead of ours.

I did get my hopes up when I saw  “high quality highlights” mentioned but sadly no change.

Thanks for the insight.

I appreciate that there is a rush to get the highlights out asap but wonder if there is a compromise - just put out the goals in the evening - and then publish the full highlights Sunday morning.

I think we'd all agree that quality over speed is what we really want as the outcome.

2 minutes ago, SouthStandBairn said:

Going to say also editing from a copy of the live stream is *okay* at a push too - but the live stream needs to be good quality. This is my point with ParsTV  Scottishfootball.online - you are heavily limited in the bitrate you can send. So the recordings are handicapped by that.

I lost all my first half footage from Motherwell so I had to use the stream for Motherwell highlights and the little stutter the stream did at Sammon's goal still annoys me but beyond the scoreboard being different you'd not really notice otherwise. I assumed too on Saturday they were working on the actual memory card recording and this was an anything you can do we can do better... It was just words though.

I’ve watched our highlights numerous times and watched the Alloa highlights and the booking of Calvin Miller is ridiculous. I’m not saying it’s a penalty but it wasn’t a dive, it looks like he maybe stood on the ball. This myth that if a player goes down in the box it’s either a pen or a booking is a joke.

Editing takes time: a rule of thumb I was taught when doing the edits for the Millennium Dinner films was one minute of image takes an hour to edit if done properly although highlights are slightly different from a full edit with music etc. I am never going to slag off a volunteer but a bit of investment would improve things and less expectation of early uploads. We don't really need 5 replays of the same goal - which shows it's being taken from the camera and the live stream. Paying someone to do a good job would be c. £50 - I know we are strapped for cash but that is surely findable.

As for yesterday that has confirmed in my mind that we may never have to return to some of these awful grounds (Meadowbank is a given now that the points deduction has doomed Edinburgh City) and I am glad for it. I'm sure planning for next year has already started. 

Tait was very good when he came on - it's a shame he will struggle to get a start but how it goes. The kid has confidence and I bet McGlynn can get the very best out of him. Is he out of contract at Hibs this year? 

Finally I would bet Hogarth back in goals next week for the cup game but Long really made some good saves early on when Alloa were trying before we broke their spirit. This year has been some of the very best football I've seen us play in the 50+ years I've been watching us. 

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee

9 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

Editing takes time: a rule of thumb I was taught when doing the edits for the Millennium Dinner films was one minute of image takes an hour to edit if done properly although highlights are slightly different from a full edit with music etc. I am never going to slag off a volunteer but a bit of investment would improve things and less expectation of early uploads. We don't really need 5 replays of the same goal - which shows it's being taken from the camera and the live stream. Paying someone to do a good job would be c. £50 - I know we are strapped for cash but that is surely findable.

Agree with this point however while the cameraman and commentators are volunteers, these days the highlights are edited (and live stream run) by one of the club’s paid media officers.

Just now, SouthStandBairn said:

Agree with this point however while the cameraman and commentators are volunteers, these days the highlights are edited (and live stream run) by one of the club’s paid media officers.

Fair enough but we are asking someone to take time out of a Saturday evening when they would probably be happier in the pub with mates than sitting down at a laptop. Less pressure to get it up early but an expectation for better edits (for example we are not shown the substitutions and unless you are pretty au fait with who is on the bench etc., you might clueless as to the changes) would need some extra compensation surely? I know it is not easy and people are critical. 

56 minutes ago, Taxi for De Massis said:

However, moments like yesterday, I want to watch on the biggest, broadest, most obnoxious TV possible and that's when you really see the poor quality of the image.

Agree with this. I found our highlights unwatchable on a TV due to the dropped frames/frame rate. It’s really noticeable for Henderson’s cross field ball in the build up to our first goal. The ball judders through the air. 

It’s difficult to criticise when it’s a volunteer providing their time for free. The quality of the edit is excellent each week. But the quality of the picture has been poor, especially recently. 

19 minutes ago, SouthStandBairn said:

The media staff are not paid for matchdays, which can sometimes be 12 hour days for them.