The Falkirk FC Thread

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Genuinely curious about how your board knows what 9 other clubs' budget will be? I know you said it was an estimate, but that sounds more like wild guesswork to me.

Without them all sharing detailed or intimate financial details we’d be daft to think directors of the respective clubs don’t have informal discussions semi regularly about these things, particularly in the board rooms before and after games. I know this to have been the case on at least a couple of occasions at the Falkirk stadium last season where various directors from other clubs attended. They all also tend to make educated guesses via squad sizes and when competing for the same pool of players then perhaps loosing out on a target due to what’s been on offer at various other clubs. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

The players have a circle of agents that have to discuss salary expectations. As McGlynn has eluded to, theres been players he’s targeted but didn’t get. Wouldn’t be that difficult to work out roughly the budgets.

5 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

So can we expect Tait and maybe Ross to get signed up this week?

Would be a real statement to get our business done early.

It’s been fairly quiet for most clubs up to now, should see a bit more movement with contracts ending. Hopefully some good news with the two mentioned. 

10 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Genuinely curious about how your board knows what 9 other clubs' budget will be? I know you said it was an estimate, but that sounds more like wild guesswork to me.

Maybe managers talk?

8 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

So can we expect Tait and maybe Ross to get signed up this week?

Would be a real statement to get our business done early.

Is Tait expected to be released from his Hibs contract? Been very disappointing seeing a promising young player be scooped up by a Premier League team just to be used as part of a loan farm. McGlynn is probably the only manager that has managed to get him to play well, so it would make sense he wants to join up with him again. Hopefully he goes on to fulfill what looked to be a lot of potential when he broke through with us. 

44 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Is Tait expected to be released from his Hibs contract? Been very disappointing seeing a promising young player be scooped up by a Premier League team just to be used as part of a loan farm. McGlynn is probably the only manager that has managed to get him to play well, so it would make sense he wants to join up with him again. Hopefully he goes on to fulfill what looked to be a lot of potential when he broke through with us. 

There was an article in the tabloids saying he'd agreed to leave Hibs and join us. Can only assume the manager issue/negotiations at Hibs are holding things up. 

14 hours ago, airdrieoldboy said:

On what evidence are Airdrie going to be scrabbling to avoid 9th? Absolute nonsense, you have been in the seaside league for years and you think you will be 3rd or 4th ? We made 4th last year and you think we will drop 5 places? I have missed this big time FFC patter !

Based on a number of simple assumptions

1. Ourselves and Hamilton coming up with better squads than Airdrie did when they were promoted, and improving further due to having quite a bit more cash. I don't think it is remotely a stretch to predict we'll be a lot more competitive than ICT and Arbroath were last season 

2. Dunfermline improving in their second year back in the division, and would probably have finished above Airdrie anyway without their injury crisis last season

3. Ayr and Queens Park binning their clown managers half way through last season. Would expect them to continue improving, spending a fair wedge via their wealthy owners 

4. Airdrie losing a couple of their better players to clubs that will pay them more money. This might not happen of course, but most of your current team is out of contract and you don't even have season tickets on sale yet.

Very much not beyond the realms of possibility in a league as tight as the Championship, whether you like it or not. We went from 2nd to 8th to 10th in two years and were relegated. As did Arbroath over the last couple of seasons. 

Whilst we've been away for a few years we were trying to get out this league for a decade. On the flip side Airdrie have barely been at this level in my entire lifetime. 

Are Ayr wealthy?  Their signing in the last couple of years, bar McGeady, doesn't suggest so.  Unless they've spent a lot on the new stand of course.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Are Ayr wealthy?  Their signing in the last couple of years, bar McGeady, doesn't suggest so.  Unless they've spent a lot on the new stand of course.

If you listen to Morten fans Ayr are paying McGinty and Oakley thousands of pounds a week 😂.

15 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Based on a number of simple assumptions

1. Ourselves and Hamilton coming up with better squads than Airdrie did when they were promoted, and improving further due to having quite a bit more cash. I don't think it is remotely a stretch to predict we'll be a lot more competitive than ICT and Arbroath were last season 

2. Dunfermline improving in their second year back in the division, and would probably have finished above Airdrie anyway without their injury crisis last season

3. Ayr and Queens Park binning their clown managers half way through last season. Would expect them to continue improving, spending a fair wedge via their wealthy owners 

4. Airdrie losing a couple of their better players to clubs that will pay them more money. This might not happen of course, but most of your current team is out of contract and you don't even have season tickets on sale yet.

Very much not beyond the realms of possibility in a league as tight as the Championship, whether you like it or not. We went from 2nd to 8th to 10th in two years and were relegated. As did Arbroath over the last couple of seasons. 

Whilst we've been away for a few years we were trying to get out this league for a decade. On the flip side Airdrie have barely been at this level in my entire lifetime. 

Okay, you are entitled to your opinion - to suggest Falkirk and Hamilton have come up with better squads than us is crap, poorer than normal League 1 that Falkirk cantered through and Accies were miles behind!

We were a better side than the Pars last year, sod all to do about injury lists, I think a fair few Pars fans will agree with this.

We have lost Fordyce so far to Raith, most of our Team are not out of contract - get your facts right mate.

5 minutes ago, airdrieoldboy said:

Okay, you are entitled to your opinion - to suggest Falkirk and Hamilton have come up with better squads than us is crap, poorer than normal League 1 that Falkirk cantered through and Accies were miles behind!

We were a better side than the Pars last year, sod all to do about injury lists, I think a fair few Pars fans will agree with this.

We have lost Fordyce so far to Raith, most of our Team are not out of contract - get your facts right mate.

Airdrie finished 3rd behind an average Falkirk side the season you went up, we just went unbeaten through a season. This squad is definitely better than Airdrie's promoted squad.

3 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Airdrie finished 3rd behind an average Falkirk side the season you went up, we just went unbeaten through a season. This squad is definitely better than Airdrie's promoted squad.

That would be the Team that we pumped 7-2 on aggregate then in the playoffs! This Team of yours could not even beat TNS last year, we showed you how it was done!

5 minutes ago, airdrieoldboy said:

That would be the Team that we pumped 7-2 on aggregate then in the playoffs! This Team of yours could not even beat TNS last year, we showed you how it was done!

I have to agree with this guy here. Let's stop saying we're a better squad than Airdrie who have just had a crack at Premier play offs and horsed us in last years play offs. There is no way we can call our squad better than theirs. 

1 minute ago, Hartleys18/19Army said:

I have to agree with this guy here. Let's stop saying we're a better squad than Airdrie who have just had a crack at Premier play offs and horsed us in last years play offs. There is no way we can call our squad better than theirs. 

Agreed.

We might be sensational this year, we might be woeful, we will most likely be somewhere in between.

As someone once said, "The past is a foreign country" so we should probably apply that thought to our prospects this season.