The Falkirk FC Thread

25 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Think it is time that we introduced development players into squad or decent prospects will not see a good career pathway and we could lose a few

It's what we all want but at the end of the day they have to be good enough. They are training with the first team every week but if they aren't good enough to play at the moment they are better going out on loan and learning their trade.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Agreed. Maybe that does mean you're sounding like a Pars fan though... 

A 3 year deal just isn't cricket for me, I think he'd be a good signing for a year to get you out of this division, but then what? Raith already seem to have a full coaching staff, and have signed Stevenson and Fordyce who also want to help out with the coaching side. 

There's a huge degree or short sightedness going on here by Raith IMO, if they get promoted next summer they're going to find themselves with a good few players not good enough for that level, with the cost of a pitch replacement in the pipework aswell. 

Bold strategy, not sure how it plays out long term. 

Raith have never mentioned anything about Fordyce or Stevenson  being first team coaches, Stevenson was asked in interview of he would be keen to, get involved with the community coaching which he said it was something he would like as words to that affect, nothing was said about the first team coaching.  But time will tell.  I assume the 3 year deal may have swayed it for Hanlon over other offers but again time will tell if Raith have done the right thing 

Edited by spot on

Sometimes you only find out if a player can step up by gradually introducing them. I remember rightly saying that Stephen Kingsley would never make it as a player after his first few games. He got better i think !

I was laughed out the Raith thread for suggesting we wouldn't be after Hanlon as we've already got two starting CB's in Donaldson & Lang.

I'm personally quite happy they've signed Hanlon and Stevenson as I don't think either's very good. Hence why they've spent their full careers at Hibs.

16 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I was laughed out the Raith thread for suggesting we wouldn't be after Hanlon as we've already got two starting CB's in Donaldson & Lang.

I'm personally quite happy they've signed Hanlon and Stevenson as I don't think either's very good. Hence why they've spent their full careers at Hibs.

You don’t think players who have consistently played at a higher level than Falkirk will be this season would’ve been a good signing? 

I don’t think Tom Lang has ever actually looked good at this level and he’s had a few goes at it now. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You don’t think players who have consistently played at a higher level than Falkirk will be this season would’ve been a good signing? 

I don’t think Tom Lang has ever actually looked good at this level and he’s had a few goes at it now. 

Paul Paton consistently played at a higher level than Falkirk and he certainly wasn't a good signing.

Hanlon & Stevenson were in the Hibs team we spunked all over in the championship.

50 minutes ago, Springfield said:

He sat at the table with me and my pal that day. He was a really nice guy and seemed to have a good day. He’s a Chelsea fan, as is my pal so they chatted away about them 🙄

6 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

He sat at the table with me and my pal that day. He was a really nice guy and seemed to have a good day. He’s a Chelsea fan, as is my pal so they chatted away about them 🙄

Met him that day too, really great guy. A dream job too 😂

20 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Paul Paton consistently played at a higher level than Falkirk and he certainly wasn't a good signing.

Hanlon & Stevenson were in the Hibs team we spunked all over in the championship.

Paul Paton spent five years as a bang average hatchet man in the top flight and benefited hugely from having better players around him. 

Paul Hanlon has over 500 appearances for Hibs with all but three seasons spent in the top flight. I’m not sure what bearing Falkirk beating them in a few games has on his ability but I’m almost certain that a team recently promoted from League One would be daft to turn their noses up at a player of that standard. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Paul Paton spent five years as a bang average hatchet man in the top flight and benefited hugely from having better players around him. 

Paul Hanlon has over 500 appearances for Hibs with all but three seasons spent in the top flight. I’m not sure what bearing Falkirk beating them in a few games has on his ability but I’m almost certain that a team recently promoted from League One would be daft to turn their noses up at a player of that standard. 

And Hibs have been a basket case for years, Hanlon and Stevenson benefited massively from being 'Hibs men' having came through the academy as otherwise they'd have been turfed out years ago.

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

And Hibs have been a basket case for years, Hanlon and Stevenson benefited massively from being 'Hibs men' having came through the academy as otherwise they'd have been turfed out years ago.

Again we’re judging the players and not the clubs. They’ve been more than good enough for the club when they finished in cup finals and in European spots. Hibs fans that I’ve worked with have said that over the years both rejected offers from English clubs as they weren’t interested in playing anywhere else. 

The salient point is that no matter how poor you think they are, you’d still have to be considerably worse than that to be thought of as a poor signing for a recently promoted side from League One. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Again we’re judging the players and not the clubs. They’ve been more than good enough for the club when they finished in cup finals and in European spots. Hibs fans that I’ve worked with have said that over the years both rejected offers from English clubs as they weren’t interested in playing anywhere else. 

Of course they both turned down English clubs to stay at Hibs 😂.

1 hour ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Sometimes you only find out if a player can step up by gradually introducing them. I remember rightly saying that Stephen Kingsley would never make it as a player after his first few games. He got better i think !

I remember refereeing Kingsley when he was playing u13 football for us and thinking he was only playing because his dad was a coach in the academy (I also knew his dad from refereeing, sound guy actually), he looked lost and the weak link but looking back he was probably being dragged down by the players he played with. 

Sibbald at 9/10 years of age was a standout and you could see even then he'd go on and have a career

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Met him that day too, really great guy. A dream job too 😂

Definitely, he was telling us about some of the clubs he’d visited and I’m sure he was off to America not long after being at ours. This is a great achievement for Falkirk hospitality team to be ranked so highly.

He was at the Pars the night before us, so I suppose after that mixing with fans who understand the concept of washing and deodorant got us off on the right footing🤣

Edited by Harry Kinnear

Posted (edited)

I do think a few of our fans are in for a shock if they’re believing hanlon and Stevenson are nothing compared to Tom Lang and Sean Mackie. 

Edited by bairn88

11 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

I do think a few of our fans are in for a shock if they’re believing hanlon and Stevenson are nothing compared to Tom Lang and Sean Mackie. 

I’m not sure about Stevenson but I think Hanlon will do well for Raith. He’ll be good in the Championship.

As I’ve mentioned before though, we are not in a position to be offering the wages that Raith are at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m not sure about Stevenson but I think Hanlon will do well for Raith. He’ll be good in the Championship.

As I’ve mentioned before though, we are not in a position to be offering the wages that Raith are at the moment. 

Agreed with that. Prize money alone coupled with a very speculative owner means we’re operating in different markets this summer. I’d be very happy with mid table and a cup run this season.