The Falkirk FC Thread

Any kind of win on Saturday guarantees us at least 2nd place yes? Is 9 points and a 2nd place finish going to be enough to qualify or are we needing to rack up a few goals and win the group outright? 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

3 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Yes unless Dundee United score again.

Yep any sort of win will be 2nd at worst. Mind you looking at other groups now we may need a few goal win to be one of the best 3 runner ups 

Just now, bairn88 said:

Yep any sort of win will be 2nd at worst. Mind you looking at other groups now we may need a few goal win to be one of the best 3 runner ups 

I reckon minimum 2 goal win should see us as one of the best 3. Airdrie will go through and probably the Raith/Ross County group.

Finished 5-2 Utd. It’s in our own hands come Saturday. Ayr have +3 goal difference, we have +5. As long as we maintain our two goal advantage over Ayr we’ll finish top. A 4-0 or 5-0 win vs Stenny would be nice, just to make doubly sure.

14 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Any kind of win on Saturday guarantees us at least 2nd place yes? Is 9 points and a 2nd place finish going to be enough to qualify or are we needing to rack up a few goals and win the group outright? 

Patrick and St Johnstone losing tonight a big bonus. Both won’t get ahead of us even if they were to win now. I reckon win Saturday and even if we are 2nd we will be very worst the third placed 2nd team and will qualify. Those two late goals were a big bonus. If we win by 3 or 4 I think we will top the group. I watched the DU game on my fire stick and Buckie created a heap of chance 2nd half. 

10 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

I reckon minimum 2 goal win should see us as one of the best 3. Airdrie will go through and probably the Raith/Ross County group.

Raith have to beat Hamilton and will be behind any second place in our group on GD

13 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Not if you look at who is playing who. There are groups where teams play each other. Both those teams can’t win. 

Right... current 2nd place teams (top 3 go through)

East Fife +7GD 7pts 

Airdrie +8GD 6 pts

Partick +6GD 6 pts 

-----------------

Falkirk +5GD 6pts 

Queens Park +5GD 6pts 

Spartans +3GD 6 pts 

Raith Rovers +3GD 6 pts 

Group D can be discarded 

Partick and Spartans both play the team top of their group. If they win, Livingston and Motherwell would drop to 2nd and wouldnt finish above us. And obviously if they lose, those groups can also be discarded. East Fife have St Johnstone away to finish.

So we could be very unlucky, but win by a couple of goals and we'll be fine 

Or simply Match Ayr's result to top the group 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

On 20/07/2024 at 17:18, Shodwall cat said:

I just feel with all those efforts on goal there was a real chance to put even more past them. Let's wait and see what the two United's do when they face them. I'll be quite happy to be wrong if they don't hit a good few more against them.

Hi 👋 

1 minute ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Right... current 2nd place teams (top 3 go through)

Airdrie +8GD 6 pts

Partick +6GD 6 pts 

Falkirk +5GD 6 pts 

----------------------

Queens Park +5GD 6pts 

Spartans +3GD 6 pts 

Raith Rovers +3GD 6 pts 

Group D can be discarded 

Partick and Spartans both play the team top of their group. If they win, Livingston and Motherwell wouldnt finish above us. 

So we could be very unlucky, but win by a couple of goals and we'll be fine 

Queens Park will be the one to watch then.

Two groups where there can’t be a runner-up on 9 pts and two where the runner-up is likely to have 9 with a large goal difference. So we need to win and win well. I suspect Ayr will run up a decent score and would put them favourites for our group. 

ETA: actually, I made a Barry Hunt of that. One group where there can’t be a runner-up on 9, and another where it’s quite unlikely. Too many permutations, bugger it just win. 

Edited by StuartA

Stenhousemuir cannot go through so it is just a training game for them as they surely will not want to injure any players for their league campaign.  Or then it is a local derby so perhaps they will want bragging rights

Provided we win the following I think has to happen to stop us being top 3 2nd place:

Raith need to beat Hamilton by 3 more then we beat Stenhousemuir ❌

Partick need to win at Motherwell❌

Queens Park need to beat Kelty by more than we beat Stenny❌

Spartans need to beat Livingston away by 4 more than we beat Stenny❌

East fife need to win in Perth & Alloa at Greenock❌

Airdrie beat QOS☑️

Ayr need to beat Buckie by three more than we beat Stenny❌

Three of those things have to happen for us not to go through in second, if the last doesn’t happen we win the group. 
I know we have had bad luck at times but I just can’t see us not go through if we beat Stenny. If we don’t beat them we don’t deserve to get through anyway.

Edited by BPM

Just now, Bigbrbairn said:

Stenhousemuir cannot go through so it is just a training game for them as they surely will not want to injure any players for their league campaign.  Or then it is a local derby so perhaps they will want bragging rights

Training game my arse, if anything they will be more dangerous. No pressure and as many previous posts will make it difficult. 

7 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Queens Park will be the one to watch then.

Have added East Fife's total which I missed as well as some other info.

But yes, they are our main/ only real threat when looking at all the other fixtures. They finish at home to Kelty.