The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Listen, we wouldn’t be a football club if the manager wasn’t asking the board for more money. I imagine Jamie swinney will say something along those lines on the Falkirk daft podcast this week as well. Should he have went public with it? Probably not, however, I do agree with other posters that  it’s impossible to tell the tone of the comment in the written press. He’s a football manager, that ultimately wants to win, he’ll be frustrated at what other teams around about us are spending. That’s all. 

He’ll know he has a shelf life. I’m sure the average tenure of a football manager in Scotland is comfortably under two years, which he is now over. Chances are he might not your manager this time next year, less so this same time in two years. He won’t be too concerned, therefore, about what your balance sheet looks like in, say, five years time, that’s not his job.

Edited by Enigma

14 minutes ago, Enigma said:

He’ll know he has a shelf life. I’m sure the average tenure of a football manager in Scotland is comfortably under two years, which he is now over. Chances are he might not your manager this time next year, less so this same time in two years. He won’t be too concerned, therefore, about what your balance sheet looks like in, say, five years time, that’s not his job.

Cynical but almost certainly true.

14 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I think for him to not be our manager this time next year the season would need to be catastrophic. The board showed themselves to be fairly pragmatic when he was under pressure after the Airdrie game and the truth is most fans will accept pretty much anything other than relegation this year if it means getting the club more stable and established in this league and building for the future. 

Hopefully if we get through to the next round of the premier sports cup on Saturday/Allan leaving that will allow funds for at least one addition to the squad. Anyone know what's up with Nesbitt and Sneddon I couldn't see anything on the herald online article. 

4 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

I think for him to not be our manager this time next year the season would need to be catastrophic. The board showed themselves to be fairly pragmatic when he was under pressure after the Airdrie game and the truth is most fans will accept pretty much anything other than relegation this year if it means getting the club more stable and established in this league and building for the future. 

Need to wait until JS gives an update/response to the FH interview. 
Had another read through and if his words haven’t been “edited” for me I’m surprised and a bit pissed off by some of its content.

The fans, the sponsors, the FFS and all the private investors have supported the club on all fronts that gave us a remarkable last season. So far it looks like a repeat new season with record STs, sponsorship being taken up and the excellent marketing/merchandise.

Weve got guys like Morrison / Tait signed for two years and contract extensions to many of our key players. 
Tbt, I thought there may have been another one/two signings, but guessing that’s not happening if FH piece is true. He and Smith were rewarded with two year deals and both must have accepted the terms to the deals, which I’m sure finances would have been at the top of discussions. 

Looking forward to our CEOs response, to McGlynns interview.

3 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Hopefully if we get through to the next round of the premier sports cup on Saturday/Allan leaving that will allow funds for at least one addition to the squad. Anyone know what's up with Nesbitt and Sneddon I couldn't see anything on the herald online article. 

Nesbitt slight hamstring strain, Sneddon some hip issue from memory 

3 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

I saw on FB that the ultras are planning to be directly behind the goals as they did at Hamilton etc last season. 

Think that’s the best area for them as it gets the whole stand singing, I’m surprised they haven’t done the same at TFS, mind you the raised bit they are in just now lets them drape their flags in front of them.

I think the FH lad caught John at an inopportune moment.

Just reading between the lines but it looks as though Ayr United were able to offer Hearts a better return on their season long loan deal for Harry Stone than us. It’s no secret that John’s preferred option for a second goalkeeper was a PL loanee.

Another Hearts potential loanee - Lewis Neilson - is in the news with a rumoured “number of clubs” interested in a season’s loan signing. John may be resigned at not being able to compete for that player either.

He does sound frustrated about something though, despite better news about Coll, Callum & Leon.

Edited by HonestAl

Not really sure how to judge what McGlynn has said.

Springfield covered well all the stuff the fans have done. Because of that I am pretty cheesed off at his tone. 

However he is clearly ambitious to succeed and I like that ambition. They are better and more subtle ways to go about things I would suggest. He would have known and agreed his budget a few months ago. He has clearly spent it. He can’t now whinge at the Board, unless of course they have moved the goalposts - which it they had I am sure McGlynn would have said. 

There has been daft money lost by the last three winners of the championship. I have no wish to see us put the club at risk for a short term sugar rush gamble. 

Ayr and Partick seem to have owners able and willing to give that funding. We haven’t, but could have another 250k every year if we had 3000 FSS members. That would make a difference for sure but isn’t going to happen. Maybe it will spark more to join? 

We really need that third leg of the stool working. Until that happens McGlynn and any future manager will have to put up with the limited budget the current level of fan ownership can give. 

14 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Need to wait until JS gives an update/response to the FH interview. 
Had another read through and if his words haven’t been “edited” for me I’m surprised and a bit pissed off by some of its content.

The fans, the sponsors, the FFS and all the private investors have supported the club on all fronts that gave us a remarkable last season. So far it looks like a repeat new season with record STs, sponsorship being taken up and the excellent marketing/merchandise.

Weve got guys like Morrison / Tait signed for two years and contract extensions to many of our key players. 
Tbt, I thought there may have been another one/two signings, but guessing that’s not happening if FH piece is true. He and Smith were rewarded with two year deals and both must have accepted the terms to the deals, which I’m sure finances would have been at the top of discussions. 

Looking forward to our CEOs response, to McGlynns interview.

Some interesting comments from McGlynn. Difficult for any of us to comment as we don’t know what our budget is or how it compares to other teams.

What I will say is McGlynn has one of the best recruitment records of any of our managers in recent memory, so if there’s anyone I’d be looking to make a few extra k available for it would be him.

No one wants to put the future of the club at risk, but there is also a financial downside of reduced STs and prize money that will come from a middling season.

Clearly we’re looking at our best income from STs, commercial, hospitality etc in a long time and yet that still doesn’t seem to be enough to provide sufficient budget to challenge for promotion under the current model. I therefore think some sort of external investment is going to be a necessity.

“Investment” isn’t a necessity. Cash is, it doesn’t matter how it comes. If anything “investment” is about the worst way to do it as that comes with serious strings re ownership. 

Let’s not talk this into some kind of crisis. We’ve had a decent start to the league cup and have a squad in place, unlike some. John’s just doing what managers do by banging on about budgets, even if his language is a bit naughty. 

7 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Some interesting comments from McGlynn. Difficult for any of us to comment as we don’t know what our budget is or how it compares to other teams.

What I will say is McGlynn has one of the best recruitment records of any of our managers in recent memory, so if there’s anyone I’d be looking to make a few extra k available for it would be him.

No one wants to put the future of the club at risk, but there is also a financial downside of reduced STs and prize money that will come from a middling season.

Clearly we’re looking at our best income from STs, commercial, hospitality etc in a long time and yet that still doesn’t seem to be enough to provide sufficient budget to challenge for promotion under the current model. I therefore think some sort of external investment is going to be a necessity.

100% correct.  Been vocal about the need for investment for the last couple months and if it was deployed at the end of May then perhaps we could of provided the manager better budget this season.  Too late for that now though.

19 minutes ago, StuartA said:

“Investment” isn’t a necessity. Cash is, it doesn’t matter how it comes. If anything “investment” is about the worst way to do it as that comes with serious strings re ownership. 

Let’s not talk this into some kind of crisis. We’ve had a decent start to the league cup and have a squad in place, unlike some. John’s just doing what managers do by banging on about budgets, even if his language is a bit naughty. 

Investment by way of ownership also tends to be singular cash injection and that’s not what we need. We need a continuous and indefinite funding model that is sustainable and not reliant on a single sugar daddy owner or ownership group. Going to give Mcglynn the benefit of the doubt here, he’d obviously prefer to have the largest playing budget in the league as every manager would but considering we’ve just come of the back of 5 years of piss poor prize moneys, lack of away supports and consistently funding loses to remain full time in a part time league I’d say to have put together a squad and playing budget that we have done is pretty remarkable to be honest, after a season in this division with the added prize money and gate receipts it brings I’d expect the playing budget to increase again next year but organically as should be the way for every club. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

The idea that we can just say “investment” and it’ll appear like Mr Benn’s shopkeeper is for the birds. If the right investment was there, we’d have it by now. And Motherwell’s situation is a cautionary tale. 

And let’s not lose sight of the fact that Falkirk fans have already “invested” more cash into the club since 2022 than was ever invested in the club up until that point. 

Edited by StuartA

17 minutes ago, Latapy is god said:

100% correct.  Been vocal about the need for investment for the last couple months and if it was deployed at the end of May then perhaps we could of provided the manager better budget this season.  Too late for that now though.

If what was deployed? Who was that cash coming from? 

20 minutes ago, Latapy is god said:

If what was deployed?

McGlynns comments have left a sour taste - it's an odd thing to have said.

Will listen with interest to FD podcast with Jamie Swinney but it's another reminder that football has a cost control problem rather than a revenue one. 

It's inevitable, to me, that the fabled 3rd-leg would still not be enough to satisfy the seemingly insatiable demand for cash.