The Falkirk FC Thread

I have seen watched with joy Lyle mature as not only as a footballer but as a person. He across cocky to some people but that is not correct at all he is a very level headed man. His movement is some of the best i have seen and if we could get more players like Alston and Higgins feeding him he could have hit even more goals than already.

Cracking player.

That's us signed Iain Flannigan now. Encouraging signing, exactly the type of player we should be bringing in. Experienced at this level and affordable.

Have you ever seen him play? What encourages you about this signing? I don't really see the point tbh.

Edited to add: Excluding my negative vibes above, I wish him all the best in the navy blue.

Edited by wee_bairn

Have you ever seen him play? What encourages you about this signing? I don't really see the point tbh.

The fact he has experience in the SPL and the First Division and the fact he's a midfielder, an area of our team which has been poor any time I've seen us this season.

Don't really expect him to go straight into the first team as I'm sure his fitness won't be up to scratch, when he does come into the team where would he play? If I remember him correctly he's not a defensive player so that rules out replacing murdoch, and he's not a wide player so McGrandles is safe. That leaves either Grant (bright spark wouldn't like him replaced) and Higgins (apart from injury seems a fine player)...I suppose he could replace Jay Fulton but even then he's been playing fairly wide recently...can't see where he fits.

eta - Still, a great player and experienced signing.

Edited by Falkirk-Bairn22

Don't really expect him to go straight into the first team as I'm sure his fitness won't be up to scratch, when he does come into the team where would he play? If I remember him correctly he's not a defensive player so that rules out replacing murdoch, and he's not a wide player so McGrandles is safe. That leaves either Grant (bright spark wouldn't like him replaced) and Higgins (apart from injury seems a fine player)...I suppose he could replace Jay Fulton but even then he's been playing fairly wide recently...can't see where he fits.

He has been training with the team for months so should be reasonably fit. Maybe not match fit but certainly not far away.

Great player? Whit? Based on what exactly?

I don't recall Thistle supporters raving about him much after his time there. It's nothing more than a waste of a wage. Why not play him as a trialist for the 3 games and see if he's up to scratch first? Baffling signing in all honesty.

Great player? Whit? Based on what exactly?

I don't recall Thistle supporters raving about him much after his time there. It's nothing more than a waste of a wage. Why not play him as a trialist for the 3 games and see if he's up to scratch first? Baffling signing in all honesty.

It was meant to say experienced player and great signing :S But still, I'm basing this on the fact that our squad is thin and any experience towards the end of the season is a good thing. Realistically we could still be dragged into a relegation battle! That is something Flannigan has experience of.

Flannigan is a winger by trade. We played him in the middle of the park on a couple of occasions but his complete lack of dig and penchant for totally avoiding 50/50 challenges meant the game by-passed him most of the time. A player that the majority of Thistle fans were glad to see leave. Played a trial match against us for Morton last year and clearly didn't fancy it so went off after 20 minutes with a sore arm.

Where you get "great player" from, I'm not entirely sure. I'd be far more inclined to give a young guy a chance in the team and gain experience. A trial period would have been more appropriate.

Don't really understand the need for another attacking midfielder if anything it would be a holder in midfield we would need.

We've already got Murdoch, Alston, grant, mcgrandles, Weatherston, jay Fulton, dale Fulton, Higgins, Sibbald and even Leahy and Faulds as well all midfielders. Unless he's a huge improvement on what we already have just seems like a waste of a wage IMO.

Too late.

Not going to dismiss the guy as a footballer but from a common sense point of view, there is no real benefit I can see to this signing.

If it's to get a look at him with a few to signing on next season then OK, but can we afford to be paying the guy for that reason alone? All depends on what we're paying him of course.

The fact he has experience in the SPL and the First Division and the fact he's a midfielder, an area of our team which has been poor any time I've seen us this season.

Ok, so going by your analysis of this signing we should have signed Burton O'Brien as well? He fits your criteria of an encouraging signing. After reading Thistle reviews on this thread and previous threads, he isn't even the type of player that would improve our midfield. After not playing competitive football for the full season, I also can't see the benefit in signing him for our cup run. To quote Hughsie; I'm not dismissing this guy as a player. I just feel this is a pointless signing and a waste of money.

If we were just wanting a look at him with a view of signing next season then surely 3 trialist appearances would have been suffice.

Never seen the guy play but agree with many who say it seems a pointless signing....realistically we are almost safe so it's a strange addition to the squad at this stage. we all know the player who was never replaced was mark millar I'm assuming Pressley thought Murdoch would step into that role but he has had a poor season...completely baffled one minute MR is telling us to forget about signings then we sign two in a fortnight