The Falkirk FC Thread

How can finishing 10th in the country be "hopeless" but last season's 17th in the country was "OK"? Surely you can see that makes no sense at all?

The budget will be a fraction of what it was under Yogi because we're competing at a poorer level.

It's OK for a couple of reasons. Relative budgets and historic performance.

Under Hughes we were spending to break the top 6. We broke the top 10. The football was baaaad. As bad as it had been at Ochilview. Losing a cup final was not enough to turn a hapless disaster into a year to remember.

In 30 years we have hovered around the top end of the 2nd tier, occasionally gracing the top tier with our presence. We are doing OK. Not great, but fine. Our time will come, it always does as a Falkirk fan. It won't last for long when it does though. You get used to it.

Again, Hughes was able to ride out some embarrassing results and the longest winless run at home that I can ever remember. Shambolic stuff. We have a lower budget because the board allowed Yogi's ego get the better of our bank balance. We paid heavily that season and compounded the mistake by giving May and Pressley the last of the funds to fritter. There is no reason to think that we couldn't still be in the top flight if we had lived within our means, as we had when turning out the kind of football you are getting all nostalgic for. Having said that, the realist in me knows relegation usually looms for us so I'm relaxed that we are where we are. It's what we do.

I'll state it again, if you started watching us around 2003 then this will be hell for you. You'll compare today with the good times. I can compare those days with my own good times (better times in my book but that's just opinions). I also have some bad, dark days to also compare so we are doing OK, not great but not badly either.

We paid heavily that season and compounded the mistake by giving May and Pressley the last of the funds to fritter.

Bit unfair to blame Eddie May with that. Got promoted to Manager from youth coach, more than half the squad sacked and Falkirk's first ever European draw to cope with. And our fans moaning and no budget to rebuild. Surprised he lasted as long as he did. Hope his massive cock is keeping him happy, and his continuing career of course.

A half decent manager would have got us into the Europa league groups.

We'd have easily beated Vaduz and squeezed past Slovan Liberec in the next round, the final qualifier would have been against Dinamo Bucharest who happened to get chucked out for fielding an ineligible player.

That would have gotten us a group with Galatasaray, Panathinaikos and Sturm Graz. What an experience that would have been.

But of course our board hired that cockwomble Eddie May who went and treated Vaduz as a friendly and paid the price for it.

That's a bit harsh on May. He just wasn't up to it and from day one looked like he knew it. He did sign players though and our budget was wasted on some ineffectual rubbish to supplement the expensive failures that Hughes had signed up for the long haul.

Stupid post.

Rather ironic.

Are you telling me I'm not embarrassed to see 4 clubs who are all smaller than Falkirk above Falkirk?

Let me just be crystal clear to avoid all doubt.

It's embarrassing to see these 4 clubs a league above us and able to sign players we want because they can offer at least double the wages.

It's about time the 4 non events of ICT, Ross C, Hamilton and St Johnstone were replaced with Rangers, Hibs, Falkirk and Dunfermline/St Mirren.

What a riddy looking at they 4 above us

I wouldn't hold out much hope for that anytime soon. Lots of rumors starting that 10 team top league is back on the agenda

Rather ironic.

Are you telling me I'm not embarrassed to see 4 clubs who are all smaller than Falkirk above Falkirk?

It's embarrassing to see these 4 clubs a league above us and able to sign players we want because they can offer at least double the wages.

ICT have around 850 ST's I heard. Not sure if this is true but if it is then their cup win brought a big uplift didn't it?

So the season we finished 7th, then the season after when we got to the cup final and qualified for Europe while staying in the top flight was, and I quote, "utterly hopeless", but scrubbing around in the second tier "in the grand scheme of things it's OK"?

whit

The season we got to the cup final was horrific. How could anyone forget the capitulations at Kilmarnock and against St.Mirren at home?

Lets face it if Tokely had not been sent off we would have down a season earlier than we did.

The season we finished 7th we blew it in Aberdeen and then had about 3 0-0 draws post split. The football was as Thundermonkey says tippy tappy pish a lot of the time. It got a whole lot worse when Latapy retired/fell out with Hughes. At least then we had someone who could play a forward pass that opened teams up.

Rather ironic.

The stupidity was in dismissing well run clubs who represent their communities as non-events, while pining for Rangers in the top flight.

Absolutely stupid and embarrassing stuff.

It's about time the 4 non events of ICT, Ross C, Hamilton and St Johnstone were replaced with Rangers, Hibs, Falkirk and Dunfermline/St Mirren.

What a riddy looking at they 4 above us

Woah, steady Gaz, unless you're at the wind-up this is out of line! The last 2 Scottish Cup winners are "non events" ? (Something we've failed at 3 times in 18 years, of course). You're the one that should have a riddy...

Well run, successful and upwardly-mobile clubs such as them should be (randomly) replaced by such tax-dodging cheats as Govan & Fife? Success on the park (and at the bank) should in your view be supplanted by crowd-w**k?

By that thinking, is it also "about time" Bournmouth and Norwich were replaced in the Premiership by ...say... Leeds and Wolves? Bizzare, and embarrassing.

And ironic. I assume you were front & centre complaining when we were denied promotion due to the state of Brockville. If I remember correctly, our mantra back then was - "its what the team does on the park that should count"...

I really hope you were fishing with this.

Edited by Dennistoun Bairn

What's the thoughts on the elected fan reps then?

The announcement is factually incorrect.

It is not called the Fans Council, but it is under the Falkirk Fans banner.

That aside it is the best you are going to get. Any Falkirk supporter can get involved via any of the groups as well as shareholders and season ticket holders.

The names are pretty much similar to people who have been involved before. However if no one else puts their hand up then you can't really complain,

IMO real supporter engagement at the club will never happen until certain board members move over.

But as I have said there is an opportunity to hold the Board to account every two or three months and feed back to the wider fans base what is happening. There are still many questions to be asked about the long term club direction and aspirations.

So long as they don't decide they speak for the masses, get their crayons out and write a poorly contructed letter demanding the removal of the manager immediately before an important match I couldn't give a toss.

I assume they'll be wined and dined at every match without ever putting a hand in their pocket?

Seems like a few folk who have a track record of delivering real benefit to the club - not bad!

Whether it delivers anything meaningful will depend entirely on the mechanics. Personally hopeful that it will work, fan engagement was previously at its highest when Kenny, Brian, Sarah and Michael were involved to some extent - see no reason why it can't get back to that.

So long as they don't decide they speak for the masses, get their crayons out and write a poorly contructed letter demanding the removal of the manager immediately before an important match I couldn't give a toss.

I assume they'll be wined and dined at every match without ever putting a hand in their pocket?

I'd like to hope not. I'd very much doubt it from 2 out of the 4 names anyway.

Good luck to them, I am sceptical as to what it will achieve with the current board in place, who will see this as a PR stunt pure and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

The announcement is factually incorrect.

It is not called the Fans Council, but it is under the Falkirk Fans banner.

That aside it is the best you are going to get. Any Falkirk supporter can get involved via any of the groups as well as shareholders and season ticket holders.

The names are pretty much similar to people who have been involved before. However if no one else puts their hand up then you can't really complain,

IMO real supporter engagement at the club will never happen until certain board members move over.

But as I have said there is an opportunity to hold the Board to account every two or three months and feed back to the wider fans base what is happening. There are still many questions to be asked about the long term club direction and aspirations.

Sadly, can't see that happening mate. As usual and as has been the case, the board will simply enforce the NDAs so nothing of note will be shared with the wider fan base.

The key decisions and information will be kept in the wooden room.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

Woah, steady Gaz, unless you're at the wind-up this out of line! The last 2 Scottish Cup winners are "non events" ? (Something we've failed at 3 times in 18 years, of course). You're the one that should have a riddy...

Well run, successful and upwardly-mobile clubs such as them should be (randomly) replaced by such tax-dodging cheats as Govan & Fife? Success on the park (and at the bank) should in your view be supplanted by crowd-w**k?

By that thinking, is it also "about time" Bournmouth and Norwich were replaced in the Premiership by ...say... Leeds and Wolves? Bizzare, and embarrassing.

And ironic. I assume you were front & centre complaing when we were denied promotion due to the state of Brockville. If I remember correctly, our mantra back then - "its what the team does on the park that should count"...

I really hope you were fishing with this.

Whilst performance on the park should always be thee most important element now that the novelty has worn off it can't be good for Scottish football to have the likes of ICT, RC and Hamilton in the top flight on a long term basis. Piss poor home and away crowds don't exactly promote the game or create decent atmospheres for the football on show. Whilst you cant argue that Hamilton are a very well run club ICT and RC both rely on big financial backers to exist in their current state. I'd love to see RC's accounts without their sugar daddy pumping cash in to keep them afloat. Hamilton should also be praised for bringing through some excellent young talent over the past few seasons whilst RC and ICT have failed miserably in this area even with the Highland Academy which has been up and running for some time now. If you take away Ryan Christie from the two sides their teams are packed with an ever changing array of journeymen who are hired and fired depending on the way the team is playing. Great if you can afford it but not really a good long term strategy in my opinion.

Whilst performance on the park should always be thee most important element now that the novelty has worn off it can't be good for Scottish football to have the likes of ICT, RC and Hamilton in the top flight on a long term basis. Piss poor home and away crowds don't exactly promote the game or create decent atmospheres for the football on show. Whilst you cant argue that Hamilton are a very well run club ICT and RC both rely on big financial backers to exist in their current state. I'd love to see RC's accounts without their sugar daddy pumping cash in to keep them afloat. Hamilton should also be praised for bringing through some excellent young talent over the past few seasons whilst RC and ICT have failed miserably in this area even with the Highland Academy which has been up and running for some time now. If you take away Ryan Christie from the two sides their teams are packed with an ever changing array of journeymen who are hired and fired depending on the way the team is playing. Great if you can afford it but not really a good long term strategy in my opinion.

Good points about RC and ICT being funded by money men. They are certainly not living within their means. Very Gretna if you ask me. Even Rangers suffered after their money man found himself broke like a joke. Doesn't mean they are 'well run clubs' just because they have success on the park - ridiculous suggestion from Monkey Tennis