The Falkirk FC Thread

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Been a bit doom and gloom on here lately.

1st June, a wee (or big) signing announcement would be nice, lift everyone's spirits and keep the season ticket purchases momentum going.

I get where you are coming from pal, but in reality do we want to spend on new signings to go up. Will the board think that Championship survival until our new pitch is of an age that it needs replacing is the better option. We rip up that pitch and we are servicing a debt for years for something we no longer have. You couldn’t make this shit up.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

The way Scottish football is structured, these kind of things will always happen.  Clubs vote in their own self-interest. Because they're all in competion with each other, they'll always vote for the option that benefits them most. If in so doing they can handicap or disadvantage an opponent, they'll do it every single time. 

10,000 seater stadium

"Huv we got a 10,000 seater stadium?"

"aye"

"Do they?"

"naw"

"f**k them then"

Grass pitches

"Huv we got a grass pitch?"

"aye"

"Do they?"

"naw"

"f**k them then"

Fold up seats with wee pads and armrests

"Huv we got fold up seats with wee pads and armrests?"

etc etc

What's needed is an independent organisation with oversight of the whole sport who can look at the bigger picture. Call it the Association of Scottish Football or something. 

19 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Been a bit doom and gloom on here lately.

After the highs of the last few weeks, it’s probably understandable given this closed shop vote. Tbh if I was any of the clubs in the championship with plastic playing surface, you got the added worry that if you go up, you’ve got an additional outlay circa 1.2M and the projected reduced revenues for years unless you permanently become “one of the closed shop”

You would wonder and question if it’s all worth the hassle and worry. 

Ourselves, Raith, Airdrie, Hamilton, Cove, QOS, and Alloa could all withdraw from the Premier Cup with immediate effect. Then sit back and watch how good their problem solving skills are at SPFL HQ. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Ourselves, Raith, Airdrie, Hamilton, Cove, QOS, and Alloa could all withdraw from the Premier Cup with immediate effect. Then sit back and watch how good their problem solving skills are at SPFL HQ. 

They wouldn't blink, just award 3-0 walkovers 

Any sane Scottish football fan cannot think this is a good move. Just purely from the finance aspect, we’d have to spent a lot more each year to maintain a “good” grass pitch, possibly re-doing it every 1-2 seasons. Next, our climate is getting worse let’s be honest. The amount of rain we get annually, and the much more frequent ‘downpours’ is going to mean a lot more games are called off. That then means you waste money on food, on hospitality, on tickets etc. Next, you lose the money clubs pay to rent the pitch midweek. Next, the cost of installing and using undersoil heating. When are clubs/people going to realise we are in one of the wettest parts of Europe and have next to no money in our game. Why is this being allowed to happen? Oh because Celtic, St Mirren etc can’t win away at Kilmarnock or Livingston. The state of most grass pitches in December/January are a joke. How can they be acceptable? I keep seeing “good grass pitches” I’m sorry but very few clubs in Scotland can afford to have and maintain and grass pitch all year round. I think this is the worst decision in Scottish football in my life time. I’d quite happily not win promotion until our pitch is up for renewal. 

10 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

The Invincibles merchandise has really been first class. Hope the club made a few bob 

Club will most likely mark up goods cost +50% so by the time administration and other expenditure is allowed for net profit will be 15-20%

So, win the league next year and have to spend all the prize money and more to put in a grass pitch. No money for players. Automatic relegation favourites and come back down with a pitch costing £125k a year to maintain. 

27 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I get where you are coming from pal, but in reality do we want to spend on new signings to go up. Will the board think that Championship survival until our new pitch is of an age that it needs replacing is the better option. We rip up that pitch and we are servicing a debt for years for something we no longer have. You couldn’t make this shit up.

Think that’s a reasonable sentiment but ultimately we would lose far more than the cost of a new pitch if we take that approach.

Ultimately football is a competition and you only need to look at what happened to our attendances under Pressley to see what happens to fan interest when there’s nothing to play for.

I suspect the current premiership teams would also be delighted to shut out a team like ours which has the support and infrastructure to compete in the top league.

For me, the focus now needs to be on trying to get some form of financial support put in place for teams affected, including through political pressure.

If the other 30 clubs were to deny access to Premiership colt/b teams using their pitches and the women's game, it would put them scrambling for alternate pitches to fulfil the fixtures. As much as there would be a bit of a financial hit for clubs it would put more strain on their resources/pitches.

The other thing is if those pitches aren't deemed good enough for Premiership clubs to play league games on then surely the same logic could be applied when it comes to cup competition. will they withdraw due to artificial pitches or spit the dummy out if they get beat and use it as an excuse?

If there are call-offs to any premiership games due to a waterlogged pitch, pitch complaints USH failure etc will the clubs be penalised for it 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

So, win the league next year and have to spend all the prize money and more to put in a grass pitch. No money for players. Automatic relegation favourites and come back down with a pitch costing £125k a year to maintain. 

As odd as it sounds the ‘get promoted then relegated’ plan could work. Remember we get a fair wedge prize money for finishing bottom of the Prem, not to mention the circa £500k parachute payment? The grass would be all but fully paid for. 

Edited by GunnerBairn

48 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

While I don’t think the board would ever hold back success on the park, the equation has certainly changed.

Do we start building a war chest now for the new pitch? Or do we wait until promo looks more likely and then move, seeking investors, campaiging via fans and sponsors, or even borrowing against future success? Do we push back Academy plans and put up ticket and merch prices more?

All of this will mean tough choices and it’s inevitable that it’ll affect the football budget, short of an unforeseen windfall or sanity taking hold via a reversal or compensation scheme. 

3 minutes ago, StuartA said:

While I don’t think the board would ever hold back success on the park, the equation has certainly changed.

Do we start building a war chest now for the new pitch? Or do we wait until promo looks more likely and then move, seeking investors, campaiging via fans and sponsors, or even borrowing against future success? Do we push back Academy plans and put up ticket and merch prices more?

All of this will mean tough choices and it’s inevitable that it’ll affect the football budget, short of an unforeseen windfall or sanity taking hold via a reversal or compensation scheme. 

Personally I think we don’t hold back on the budget (I’m not saying go daft but certainly don’t reduce it from the original plan). Go for promotion and if we are looking likely to end up in the premier league the fans and the community will rally round. f**k them

As wildly unrealistic (and slightly self-harming) as it is, my dream scenario would be promotion next season followed by European qualification.  We then don't change the pitch and get to show the utter stupidity of this rule change by getting to play in a UEFA competition whilst getting booted out of a Scottish one. 

As I say, won't happen but would make for the best protest I can think of.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, StuartA said:

We could certainly plan building a warchest now. For a start I think there’s still high demand for invincibles merch, they could start by making the ‘limited’ edition gold Invincibles strip ‘unlimited’ to raise funds. No doubt the ST price freeze will likely end next season which further increases takings. A few good Cup runs and winning the Challenge Cup itself now brings in £100K. Getting promoted then relegated would also net us a few bob. Work to do Bairns!

Edited by GunnerBairn

Posted (edited)

There won't be a compensation scheme because of the intention to pay for the consultancy and associated costs of any recommendations to their own pitches.

They aren't going to pay for all of that and additionally pay into a pot which potentially weakens them further.

God forbid a promoted team decides to use the funds and  pays to go over-and-above the minimum standard thus giving them a perceived advantage.

Edited by Blame Me
Clarification

1 hour ago, GunnerBairn said:

As odd as it sounds the ‘get promoted then relegated’ plan could work. Remember we get a fair wedge prize money for finishing bottom of the Prem, not to mention the circa £500k parachute payment? The grass would be all but fully paid for. 

Excellent idea. Go full tilt and win this thing, then play a team of U-19s on minimum wage, get a 0-0-38 record to highlight the utter farce the SPFL is, pocket the loot and win the Championship the year after again on grass. 🤣