The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Appreciate Allan scored on Saturday but he has been at the club for 18 months and we haven’t been able to fit him into our system during that time.

Don’t think he’s a bad player at all but it would be far better for both parties for him to move on I think. I’d still like another striker to challenge/cover Maciver if possible (likely on loan).

I totally agree. It’s either somehow find a way to get the best out of Allan. Which I recognise Mcglynn hasn’t been able to do so far. Or punt him and get someone else in. No point having a ‘waste of a wage’ sitting on the bench for another season. 

McGowan at 34 you really don't know what you are going to get. Could have a good few seasons left in him or like mcginn he could have 6 months and then struggle. With McKenna already signed I wouldn't be too keen to bring in more players of that age . We tried that before and it didn't work out well.

6 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

McGowan at 34 you really don't know what you are going to get. Could have a good few seasons left in him or like mcginn he could have 6 months and then struggle. With McKenna already signed I wouldn't be too keen to bring in more players of that age . We tried that before and it didn't work out well.

It’s a difficult one. I do agree when you sign players at that age you can never tell what you are getting. However, when you get these experienced players right, they have the potential to be season defining imo (I’m not saying McGowan is/will be season defining btw). I hear what you’re saying about McGinn, however I think saying we only got 6 months out of him isn’t fair. He pretty much played the entire first season. Did he drop off in the later half of the season, absolutely, but didn’t everyone? He was also asked to play just about every minute of every game that season. I think that’s unrealistic to expect players at that age to not be rotated on a regular enough basis. We also consistently hear about the effects McGinn had on the dressing room in his final season. Cannot underestimate the influence experienced players can have on the team.

Edited by Big chungus

12 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Agree

12 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

It’s a difficult one. I do agree when you sign players at that age you can never tell what you are getting. However, when you get these experienced players right, they have the potential to be season defining imo (I’m not saying McGowan is/will be season defining btw). I hear what you’re saying about McGinn, however I think saying we only got 6 months out of him isn’t fair. He pretty much played the entire first season. Did he drop off in the later half of the season, absolutely, but didn’t everyone? He was also asked to play just about every minute of every game that season. I think that’s unrealistic to expect players at that age to not be rotated on a regular enough basis. We also consistently hear about the effects McGinn had on the dressing room in his final season. Cannot underestimate the influence experienced players can have on the team.

Yes but if you are paying them top money you need to get more from them than just a bit of influence in the dressing room.  Mcginns knee was shot after his first season it's just fortunate we didn't sign him on to anything longer than a two year deal and with us being in league one his wages wouldn't have been too ridiculous so it turned out fine. Signing the likes of Hanlon on a 3 year deal to me is just nuts at his age and I doubt McGowan will be looking for a one year deal either . 

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

Yes but if you are paying them top money you need to get more from them than just a bit of influence in the dressing room.  Mcginns knee was shot after his first season it's just fortunate we didn't sign him on to anything longer than a two year deal and with us being in league one his wages wouldn't have been too ridiculous so it turned out fine. Signing the likes of Hanlon on a 3 year deal to me is just nuts at his age and I doubt McGowan will be looking for a one year deal either . 

I do agree, hanlon on a 3 year deal is mental. And if that’s the terms for McGowan then absolutely no way. It would of course, have to be a deal that suited the club. One year deal preferred (wishful thinking) but two years would be fine with me. We got unlucky with McGinn. Think of the more older players we have had over the years who have been different class. Russell latapy comes to mind. Again I’m not saying a Ryan McGowan is remotely in that conversation, I’m just trying to convey the point that sometimes you can find a hidden gem with these experienced players. I think saying because we have already signed one 33 year old in McKenna, that we shouldn’t sign anybody else older than that is a bit naive and narrow minded. Not having a go at you! Just stating my opinion. 😀

56 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Russell latapy

Privileged to have witnessed some brilliant players over a few decades. Too many to mention, but this guy was special. His body balance was unbelievable, could turn on one stud, and wipe out an opposition’s midfield.  
An incredible character and at a dinner said in his words “ football is fun” 

Not sure if true but barely trained apart from helping the youngsters at the club. What a special player !! 

40 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Privileged to have witnessed some brilliant players over a few decades. Too many to mention, but this guy was special. His body balance was unbelievable, could turn on one stud, and wipe out an opposition’s midfield.  
An incredible character and at a dinner said in his words “ football is fun” 

Not sure if true but barely trained apart from helping the youngsters at the club. What a special player !! 

He was also the brains behind yogi imo. Yogis only had success where latapy was also there. Whether that be as a player or in a coaching capacity. Just a man that lived and breathed football. 

Edited by Big chungus

11 hours ago, Big chungus said:

I do agree, hanlon on a 3 year deal is mental. And if that’s the terms for McGowan then absolutely no way. It would of course, have to be a deal that suited the club. One year deal preferred (wishful thinking) but two years would be fine with me. We got unlucky with McGinn. Think of the more older players we have had over the years who have been different class. Russell latapy comes to mind. Again I’m not saying a Ryan McGowan is remotely in that conversation, I’m just trying to convey the point that sometimes you can find a hidden gem with these experienced players. I think saying because we have already signed one 33 year old in McKenna, that we shouldn’t sign anybody else older than that is a bit naive and narrow minded. Not having a go at you! Just stating my opinion. 😀

That’s the first and last time I want to hear the signing of McGinn compared to the signing of Latapy mate.

Aye Latapy was still an absolute standout in the SPL at 39-40, and played in the world cup at 36 despite never looking after himself properly and smoking a million cigarettes a day 

An insult to be compared to jobbers like Hanlon and McGowan who have ended up in the Scottish Championship at 34 

14 hours ago, Big chungus said:

I totally agree. It’s either somehow find a way to get the best out of Allan. Which I recognise Mcglynn hasn’t been able to do so far. Or punt him and get someone else in. No point having a ‘waste of a wage’ sitting on the bench for another season. 

On the other hand, having a different style of player is an asset when a change of team set up is required.

Whether a player would be happy with that situation is another thing.

44 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

On the other hand, having a different style of player is an asset when a change of team set up is required.

Whether a player would be happy with that situation is another thing.

Agreed, however, the dilemma for Allan is, would he be happy with potentially no game time at all? Having played one up front for the whole of a L1 season, I don't see McGlynn changing that in the Championship. As it stands, it looks to me that, because we have Shanley, who McGlynn preferred to Allan, it's likely that the latter will be the guy naturally left out of the squad each week. That would obviously change with the inevitable injuries and suspensions, but even so...

19 hours ago, Roboccop said:

Something I might need to buy 2 copies of by the looks of it. 1 for reading and keeping and another that may get covered in some dubious, sticky stains.

On the centre half conversation, there's no doubt in my mind that Maciver playing there on Saturday was McGlynn making a not so subtle point that he'd like more money in the budget to sign a proper one.

15 hours ago, Big chungus said:

Here you go - it’s at the printers now so preorder now  - the more we pre order the more we can print and the more profit goes to the club ( obviously) 

This has been done for free by all the people involved  to make the club money so please support  especial thanks to Ian Sneddon ( pics) and Andy Jamieson (design).

FALKIRK CHAMPIONS BOOK 2024 SOCIAL BANNER_v1.jpeg

falkirk untouchables book 2024_book inside 2.jpeg

falkirk untouchables book 2024_book inside 4.jpeg

Edited by Roboccop

42 minutes ago, One off poster said:

On the centre half conversation, there's no doubt in my mind that Maciver playing there on Saturday was McGlynn making a not so subtle point that he'd like more money in the budget to sign a proper one.

My thoughts exactly!!
Let’s hope this doesn’t fall on deaf ears as a solid start in the first quarter is vital, which looking at the current CB injury doubts would seem at peril.