The Falkirk FC Thread

19 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Whilst I expect us to finish in the top 4, finishing mid-table wouldn't be a failure.

The gap between Premiership and Championship is much wider than between Championship and League 1. The reality is there is little chance of play-off success, which pretty much reduces to 0 if you finish 3rd or 4th

Much like when McGlynn first arrived, promotion is a two year project. 

Genuine question, where does the expectation of a top 4 finish come from? Is it that you generally think the Championship is a weak league and last years squad is good enough, or is it based on additions to your squad so far this season? Not sure who you've signed, which I why I'm asking the question. Also not saying you're right or wrong, it's your own opinion after all. Just curious what you're basing that on. 

37 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Genuine question, where does the expectation of a top 4 finish come from? Is it that you generally think the Championship is a weak league and last years squad is good enough, or is it based on additions to your squad so far this season? Not sure who you've signed, which I why I'm asking the question. Also not saying you're right or wrong, it's your own opinion after all. Just curious what you're basing that on. 

I mean, it feels like every other promoted club has done it without much hassle.

41 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I think most people are saying top 4 would be the marker of a really successful first season back - although some have the expectation I don't think most are taking that for granted. But in general it comes from looking at how league one sides have done the last few years and bar a few, mostly top 4 is where they have finished. 

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

There's no expectation of top 4, just that should be the aim. Everyone's going to be going for it. The championships the tightest it's been in years. You could be going for 4th on the last day and end up 9th. 

1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

I mean, it feels like every other promoted club has done it without much hassle.

Not a comment on how Falkirk will do because I genuinely haven't got a clue, but I think more recently the playoff winner has actually done a bit better than the league winner which is interesting (although also probably means very little). Cove obviously ended up going straight back down too.

1 hour ago, Jimmy1876 said:

I think most people are saying top 4 would be the marker of a really successful first season back - although some have the expectation I don't think most are taking that for granted. But in general it comes from looking at how league one sides have done the last few years and bar a few, mostly top 4 is where they have finished. 

Most of our fans after a really brilliant season don't need reminded that we’ve been five years in the third tier of Scottish football, and maybe a bit cautious. From the championship playoffs/general no doubt that the level of football is better, but apart from a few players, there’s not too many would get a starting slot in our first eleven. For me always aim high and I’m sure the club will be disappointed if we don’t achieve a top four slot, regardless what budgets are leveraged at, and what statements are being released. Maybe I’m in the few that’s half glass full. 

We've got a pretty settled squad who are familiar with each other. That's a rarity in the game at this level these days. If we get off to a decent start, which based on that fact, and the fact everywhere is riding on the crest of a wave at the moment, should be achievable, I don't see why we won't be in contention, at least in the short term. The wheels will probably come off the bus at some point though and the knicker wetters will be out in force again as per usual.

Personally though, I wouldn't want to make any bold predictions until I see how it all pans out between now and the transfer window closing.

1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

. The wheels will probably come off the bus at some point though and the knicker wetters will be out in force again as per usual.

I’m not so sure with this. Yes there’s no doubt we’ll endure some not so good results, but if we are playing with commitment, accountability and giving it our best shot, that’s all we can ask for. Thats what I believe the vast majority of the support will be happy with. We’ve got the best squad arguably for years and last year’s remarkable season hopefully is the catalyst for a really good new season.
You won’t stop the rockets or the zoomers, they’ve been here since I first started supporting the club, that’s a few generations back. 

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Most of our fans after a really brilliant season don't need reminded that we’ve been five years in the third tier of Scottish football, and maybe a bit cautious. From the championship playoffs/general no doubt that the level of football is better, but apart from a few players, there’s not too many would get a starting slot in our first eleven. For me always aim high and I’m sure the club will be disappointed if we don’t achieve a top four slot, regardless what budgets are leveraged at, and what statements are being released. Maybe I’m in the few that’s half glass full. 

50 cent laughing GIF

5 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Not a comment on how Falkirk will do because I genuinely haven't got a clue, but I think more recently the playoff winner has actually done a bit better than the league winner which is interesting (although also probably means very little). Cove obviously ended up going straight back down too.

Dunfermline were hamstrung by injuries last season so were always going to struggle. Even then they still had a slight sniff of the playoffs  until pretty deep into the season. Inverness were only 3 points off fifth yet were pretty honking and lost to a piss poor accies side in the playoffs. We played a lot of championship sides last season and just played Ayr and have been the better side in a good number of those games so there's no reason we shouldn't be thinking we could be there or there about for a playoff spot.

Edited by Shodwall cat

On 09/05/2024 at 19:08, Ned Nederlander said:

I've got one.

I posted a link on a football forum to a print for sale that resulted in a garden gnome getting it tight.

Good news for the gnome - the prints are now legit:

44 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Dunfermline were hamstring by injuries last season so we're always going to struggle. Even then they still had a slight sniff of the playoffs  until pretty deep into the season. Inverness were only 3 points off fifth yet were pretty honking and lost to a piss poor accies side in the playoffs. We played a lot of championship sides last season and just played Ayr and have been the better side in a good number of those games so there's no reason we shouldn't be thinking we could be there or there about for a playoff spot.

I don't think Dunfermline were that great even at full strength, it was just an unusually tight year with very little between about 6 teams. Definitely curious to see how you do, I actually think Falkirk are the hardest side to predict this season. The interesting thing will be how the squad reacts to potentially losing a couple of games in a row at some point, which they won't be used to.

Not sure I see the strength in your squad that some do, at least not quite to the extent that very few players from around the league would get in it as someone suggested on this thread, but we'll see how it goes. When we played you it was peak Veldman-ball, we were truly horrific at the time, obviously you got the job done but it was in the middle of our 5 month winless run so again hard to gain much insight on the opposition there from my perspective at least.