The Falkirk FC Thread

56 minutes ago, HonestAl said:

It’s difficult to keep a level head tonight, after such a thrilling game (two very good Championship sides, on a pitch designed for football) and an excellent team performance. 
Much like Mr McGlynn in his post match interviews - BBC tv and Falkirk tv - I’m still wired to the moon at 3am. 

I guess it was the surprisingly very fine performances from unexpected positions - yes Hogarth & Mackie, I mean you both. Wow! 
Match winners, except the whole team - including subs - were in that category. Ross MacIver……..

Just how do Finn & Leon get back in that team? Might they improve the side? And Alfie……?

No doubt there’ll be hard times to come but what was it that Kipling said about Triumph & Disaster? John & Paul deserve such plaudits too, the very epitome of the whole being greater than the individual parts. 
A great time to be a Falkirk fan.

Has drink been taken?

6 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Did you have to climb to the top to get a signal?

Haha not climbing til Monday.

Had to get a month's sub for game but was able to watch it over the wifi in the hotel lobby 🤣

A wee mention for Keelan Adams, thought he looked a wee bit nervous first 20 mins, understandable as it’s a big step up moving from the Lowland League to playing in front of over five thousand in a live TV game. Once he settled down he looked like he’s been part of our team for years and was his usual excellent.

Absolutely loving everything about this club just now and cannot wait to hear the ultras/crowd at EEP next week, should be some atmosphere.

Every time I go onto pnb just now, I click on the League 1 thread and wonder where we are, then realise “no that’s not right we’re back in the Champ”.

I can’t tell you how pleasant a feeling that is.

Fantastic performances from every player including the subs. Thought we controlled the game apart from two ten minute spells, but never in danger. Couldn’t honestly pick a MOM, Mackie Spencer Tait Henderson MacIver were simply sensational. Adams had a shaky first ten then strolled the game. Different animal this league as Queens showed, better players that will keep us on our toes for full 90 odd minutes. Thought we’d maybe get better type refereeing, last night’s three officiating were poor at best. Ultras and crowd fantastic. 
Lastly can the council get the pavement reinstated before someone gets seriously injured. Its fenced area hasn’t been worked on for months, seen a guy with two little children nearly getting wiped out. 

Really does set you up for the weekend that! We were the better side, played some decent one touch stuff and got the win but the big thing for me was you could see we still had an extra gear there and when Nesbit, Lang, McCann ect are all back to full fitness it’s just going to improve us again further. Need to mention Ross McIver who was a stand out again, can’t underestimate how important he is to us and the system we play. Also thought McKenna looked good when he came on and helped swing the momentum back in our favour when the game was starting to drift a bit, a happy bairn here! 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Great start to the season. Just thinking when was the last time we won our opening league fixture? 

Anyway I thought we were very impressive right thru the spine of the team we are very, very good. 

Teams are gonnae have to play really well to beat us. Their will undoubtedly be ups and downs. However if we keep our big players fit we are more than competing in this league!

23 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Ultra's were fantastic all night and the Gordon Wright flag was a special touch. @Bainsfordbairn did you get a photo of it?

Yes, but I was in the centre circle in readiness for the mascot pictures and had a wideangle to capture the lineups and flag, so it's not zoomed-in as it normally would be. 

fans .jpg

I'm a fair man - McKenna impressed me in the period he was on. Much more to my liking.

On Donaldson's injury - taking it as a positive that he managed to walk over to the KM and do the FD armband giveaway himself and he didn't look like he was hobbling.

Edited by Blame Me
Repetition

Important to win that. Even though it’s the first game of the season, QP at home is the sort of game we need to be winning this season so very glad to do so.

Performance was excellent as well and as others have said, I think we can probably get even better. No failures in the team. Adams had a nervy start but settled down well and continued his good form. MacIver was MotM for sure, could have gone to almost anyone though.

Wonder goal from Thomas but aside from that, we were rarely troubled and Hogarth was able to deal with anything that did get chucked at us fairly comfortably.

Well worth the win and really, barring a great goal line clearance by the defender and a miracle save by their keeper it could’ve been more.

Edited by Hughsie

26 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

I'm a fair man - McKenna impressed me in the period he was on. Much more to my liking.

On Donaldson's injury - taking it as a positive that he managed to walk over to the KM and do the FD armband giveaway himself and he didn't look like he was hobbling.

Mcglynn said it was just cramp.

I don't think there's any doubt that we deserved to win that game today played really well in the first half in particular but I also think it's fair to say we will end up playing better than that this season and not get the win. We should've been 1-0 up in the first minute great pressing from Oliver to steal the ball from Welsh and it was poor from Tait after that. Really should have done better with his shot but he also had Morrison completely free. Calvin Miller extremely unlucky not to score before he did with the shot off the line and then Morrison probably should have done better from the Oliver cut-back. All 3 chances coming at 0-0 in the first half. Goals aside the other other chance of note we had was the excellent strike from MacIver (even better save from Ferrie tbf) some work and feet from the big man to win the ball back, dance round a player and ping it right towards the top corner. Thought he was outstanding all game.

Felt we were pretty much in control for the majority of that first half with Queens Park only really looking threatening on the odd counter attack. There were times in both halves where our midfield was extremely stretched with big gaps in it and a better team probably could have punished us more.

On Queens Park I wasn't overly impressed with them. They do look like they are capable of playing some good stuff but at times were too reliant on just hoofing the ball up in the general direction of Rudden who was utterly shite he's a shadow of the player he was when we had him at 18. Cammy Kerr was their best player imo thought he had a really good game and kept Morrison fairly quiet. Both starting wing-backs for them were very poor Josh Scott didn't really do anything in an attacking sense and his use of the ball was fairly poor and then playing Louis Longridge as a wing-back is just mental he never really got close to Calvin Miller all game. Also thought Jack Turner in the middle of the park was completely anonymous which in turn made Sean Welsh have far too much work to do and he was nowhere near as effective as I thought he might. To a lesser extent you could say the same about Dom Thomas he scored an unbelievable goal but then don't really think he was in the game much after that.

For us I'd agree that nobody had a particularly poor game but definitely some players that stood out more than others. Hogarth didn't have a great deal to do (he had absolutely no chance with the goal) but everything he did do was done well a couple of good stops, commanded his box well and came out to help his defence. Whilst there was a couple that weren't great in the second half his quick kicks and distribution is such a huge thing for us on the counter. I thought Keelan Adams started a bit shaky and did steadily get better as the game went on. Liam Henderson was fantastic again that's his 5th game in a row starting at centre-back now and he's been a minimum of 8/10 in each of them he's been an absolute rock at the back and I think you can see his time in central midfield has made him much better on the ball and a lot more comfortable passing the ball around. Middle of the park I felt at times, in particular the second half, we were clearly missing Aiden Nesbitt. That's not intended as a knock on Gary Oliver I thought he was fine but they're clearly different players but Nesbitt creativity, energy and relentlessness is vital to us. Brad Spencer was just doing Brad Spencer things as per usual he always wants the ball and looks after it so well barely wasted a pass all night. I felt that Dylan Tait was pretty poor on the ball but out of possession he was good. Really worked his arse off in terms of his pressing, getting up and down the pitch and battling to win the ball back. With his booking he was lucky he didn't actually catch the boy otherwise he'd have been off. The front 3 I thought Calvin Miller was probably unlucky to be the first off again he was still playing really well and from the 2 wingers he was having the most impact on the game Morrison probably wasn't getting the ball as often as he'd have liked but also felt he had a tougher game up against Kerr. Finally MacIver was my MoM thought he was absolutely brilliant. Played a huge part in the first goal turning that big carthorse Ujdur easily and although he got his shot all wrong it still worked out with Miller getting on the rebound. But his workrate is immense for us he sets the tone for the team with his pressing from the front never gives the keeper or centre-backs any time on the ball and is right in their faces. Not just that but his hold up and link up play is class. Wins almost every flick on and whilst our game plan is to build through the thirds with Tait and Spencer he's so good to have as the option if we need to go long the ball can stick and he can get us up the park.