The Falkirk FC Thread

18 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Extend MacIver’s deal now. 

Man of the match, absolutely outstanding player 👏 I'm absolutely in fear of him getting injured at this point, he leads our whole front attacking 4.

On 22/07/2024 at 11:34, Long Suffering Bairn said:

MacIver.  Firstly I realise my opinion is worth nothing other than to me and I really do trust McGlynn knows what he is doing. 

Ross seems to be like marmite, some love him and will automatically leave a red dot on this post, some are on the fence but a minority, like me, just don't get it.  We have four or five in our team that could dribble past a number of defenders and batter the ball in the top corner.  Ross isn't one of them.  To me he is not really a striker.  Good to have at corners and tap ins sure but if there was a great chance in the box requiring a bit extra skill, he would be way down my list for that.

In my admitedly simplistic view, we need an out and out centre forward to spearhead with someone like Ross behind him to continue what he is good at, holding up, distributing, etc.

I appreciate Ross's great contribution to our invincible season, the goals he did get, his part in enabling others to score, he truly gave his share.  I am dubious though his style of "forward" will be as valuable in the Championship where the standard of defences is that bit better.

Maybe it's down to personal taste, showing my age, I adore Pink Floyd but I have always thought the Rolling Stones were laughable.

🖕

On 25/05/2023 at 14:06, Rugster said:

Kept a vague eye in his career as hes the nephew of a friend of my wife and I like this signing. 

Sorry,  not  sorry. 

4 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Won absolutely everything in the air today just wish some of our guys would have run on to his flick ons more often today.

I thought he won less in the air than against QP, but it doesn't detract from his performance. He chases down every high ball and even if he has no chance of winning it, he puts so much pressure on the defender that they have no option but just to head it anywhere. Its a much underrated part of his game I feel. There are no easy clearances for the defenders 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

I thought he won less in the air than against QP, but it doesn't detract from his performance. He chases down every high ball and even if he has no chance of winning it, he puts so much pressure on the defender that they have no option but just to head it anywhere. Its a much underrated part of his game I feel. There are no easy clearances for the defenders 

Second half with the wind holding it up it wasn't reaching him at times but first half his flick ons were just needing a runner.

Have to give credit to the ultras as well - atmosphere in the away end was off the charts. There were a few hisses but promptly silenced with another song playing over the top as soon as it started. 

Not a great game by any means but a great and merited 3 points and I don't think it was ever in too much doubt.

First half we absolutely controlled and dominated without creating a whole lot. Goal aside obviously. On the goal the pass through from Dylan Tait to Keelan Adams was pinpoint then good couple of touches from him before firing it across the goal, couldn't tell from the back of the stand who got the last touch but delighted for it to be MacIver and him to get his first league goal. We bossed the rest of the half without threatening an awful lot but Dunfermline were extremely poor.

I was surprised with the set up from them I expect them to start with the back 3 that they changed to in the second half but they tried to match us up but it didn't work at all. There was no pressing or intensity to their play instead allowing Brad Spencer the freedom of the pitch to dictate the game. The balance of their midfield was miles off Chalmers is slow as f**k, Hamilton wasn't really involved and Wotherspoon was as well no turning up. Aside from him chopping past Mackie once at the end of the first half then firing about 10 yards wide he was abysmal. Thought Comrie was probably their best player he kept Calvin Miller pretty quiet in the first half same to an extent with Otoo who got the early booking then albeit looking a bit clumsy from long balls dealt with Morrison pretty well. Craig Wighton is dugmeat however. Quite why James McPake thought shelling long balls up to him would yield any results I've no idea but for that half an hour he was up top on his own is as comfortable as Donaldson and Henderson will get it all season. The change of shape at half time helped them and bringing Kane on for Wighton at least gave them something and the whole team stepped up 10 yards but aside from one save low down to his left Hogarth wasn't tested.

For us I think pretty similar to last week. We will probably play better and lose at some point this season but no doubt we deserved the 3 points. Henderson just carried on his form so far this season he was absolutely tremendous at the back dealt with everything that came his way and didn't waste a pass all game. Tait had a much better game than last week for me, first half in particular watching him and Spencer just rip the pish by keeping the ball was a joy to watch. Spencer was outstanding again he looks after the ball so f**king well, he's always wanting it and is just so calm in possession some vision to see a pass as well. Gary Oliver had a really good game as well, passing has never been his best attribute but he brought so much to the attack and tbh I f**king love watching him just back into defenders about a foot taller than him and then either coming away with the ball or buying a foul. Morrison I felt was pretty poor in the first half he was getting a lot of the ball but never really done much with it but was much better after the break. Was so unlucky with his left foot shot that just went over and took his pen very well. Ross MacIver Mom again for me. If there's still any fans that don't rate him or see what he brings to the team then they're f**king braindead and this isn't the sport for them. He's the perfect striker for this team. Wins more than he looses in the air, presses constantly all game, holds the ball well and links very well with both wingers. Delighted for him to get his goal, so unlucky not to get a second as well, and agree that the sooner we get him signed him long term the better.

The boy who strolled onto the park from the North West stand when we were celebrating the first goal only to see big Hendo and shite it back into the stand was some laugh tbh.

43 minutes ago, Russ said:

Delighted for him to get his goal, so unlucky not to get a second as well, and agree that the sooner we get him signed him long term the better.

Good analysis, saving some space by not requoting it all but on this, that Maciver chance to get his second which he put just past the post.... IT all came from Spencer absolutely carving them open with a single pass into Calvin Miller. It would be a great example to show in the highlights why we "gitter aboot at the back". Spencer was back there almost in the LB position pinging the ball about in triangles until someone overcommitted, left space for Miller and Spencer played a pass that gave him the freedom of the pitch and we broke at speed with Maciver basically getting 1 v 1. It was absolutely magnificent. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy1876 said:

Have to give credit to the ultras as well - atmosphere in the away end was off the charts. There were a few hisses but promptly silenced with another song playing over the top as soon as it started. 

Agree. I thought there was a concerted effort to drown it out and from where I was stood it sounded like the hissing was from further back in the stand. These guys are definitely a positive in every single way. 

I’ve noticed from the past two games that Miller & Morrison struggle to impose themselves if we’re playing a team who are set up as a 352/532. Might be something McGlynn needs to adapt to going forward if we’re playing a team who set up like this