The Falkirk FC Thread

I remember being absolutely seething at the away tie but even more so after the home one where we just didn't seem to make any effort to regain some credibility. 

Despite all that, I wasn't in the bin camp purely because we had seen a fair bit of improvement that season despite trailing off at the end. I also felt that another rebuild job was never going to be in our best interests as a club. We'd had so many over the previous seasons and I felt like it was time for a bit of stability.

28 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

Does anyone else recall a security alarm going off just after the game started, but the stewards just looking each other and shrugging?

Game should have been stopped imo. 

When we left just before half time there was 2 fire engines outside. Good to see airdries fire drill was followed 😂

1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

I remember being absolutely seething at the away tie but even more so after the home one where we just didn't seem to make any effort to regain some credibility. 

Despite all that, I wasn't in the bin camp purely because we had seen a fair bit of improvement that season despite trailing off at the end. I also felt that another rebuild job was never going to be in our best interests as a club. We'd had so many over the previous seasons and I felt like it was time for a bit of stability.

I also believe the home tie was arguably worse than the away one. We should have been creating The Alamo crossed with Helm's Deep and instead we got a training game. I was much more unhappy after that than the away leg.

Edited by FalkirkBairn2021

3 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

I also believe the home tie was arguably worse than the away one. We should have been creating The Alamo crossed with Helm's Deep and instead we got a training game. I was much more unhappy after that than the away leg.

Yep. I was expecting blood and snotters, hard tackles and shots flying at goal from everywhere. Go out with heads held high.

Instead we were pathetic, Airdrie never had to break sweat, and we duly gifted them a goal to seal the win because Brad McKay 😄

I was always for keeping McGlynn though, and never seriously thought the Board would sack him. Glad to be proved correct there (makes a change).

Remember saying when I walked in the ground and saw our line up we are humped here but could not believe the spineless shite that we vomited up in that first half.

Also Airdrie tried to make a game of it by bringing on the fat dwarf sub keeper and we never tested him.

The second leg was also a disgrace !

Amazed that I never had a stroke on the way home from the first leg.

Are McKay and Williamson still taking money to pretend that they are footballers?

Edited by Reggie Perrin

Also can’t ignore the context too. Had that happened in our first season down in League One, I reckon the play-off outcome in isolation would likely have been deemed a sackable offence in and of itself.

But we’d already been so low and gone through so many managers, the decision was to trust the improvement that had been made and provide stability. It turned out to be the right choice. 

Edited by 18BAIRN76

7 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Yep. I was expecting blood and snotters, hard tackles and shots flying at goal from everywhere. Go out with heads held high.

Instead we were pathetic, Airdrie never had to break sweat, and we duly gifted them a goal to seal the win because Brad McKay 😄

I was always for keeping McGlynn though, and never seriously thought the Board would sack him. Glad to be proved correct there (makes a change).

I was the same, I remember meeting my mate at half time at the pie stand at the away game and actually just laughing in disbelief at what we had witnessed, everytime Airdrie had a shot they scored that half. We actually looked like we were going to get ourselves into a salvageable position after the two goals then chucked any chance away with the last minute penalty. 

I walked out at half time of the second leg. I couldn't believe a team that required 4 goals (then 5) could look less arsed. 

Fair play to McGlynn for realising where our weaknesses were, the 4 signings of Lang, Miller, Spencer and McIver completely changed the spine of our team.  He knew we had too many shitebags and brought in guys who'd run through brick walls to replace them. 

27 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

I was the same, I remember meeting my mate at half time at the pie stand at the away game and actually just laughing in disbelief at what we had witnessed, everytime Airdrie had a shot they scored that half. We actually looked like we were going to get ourselves into a salvageable position after the two goals then chucked any chance away with the last minute penalty. 

I walked out at half time of the second leg. I couldn't believe a team that required 4 goals (then 5) could look less arsed. 

Fair play to McGlynn for realising where our weaknesses were, the 4 signings of Lang, Miller, Spencer and McIver completely changed the spine of our team.  He knew we had too many shitebags and brought in guys who'd run through brick walls to replace them. 

I also left the second leg at HT. I didn't want to go but tbh, it was one of those ones where the thin sliver of hope for a comeback for the ages forced me. But I'd seen enough way before HT. 

Would be pretty cathartic to get a win on Saturday but last season and the start of this one has quelled any real need for revenge for me. I don't really believe in fate and all that shit, but what I do believe is that if the playoffs didn't go how they went, we wouldn't have had what we are still enjoying to this day. 

I stayed for the duration in the second leg but I knew even before the game started that there was no way back. I honestly can’t remember what I posted on here after if I was McGlynn in or out but if I was out I was so wrong, he and Smudger have proved the doubters wrong.

The past season and the start of this is up there with the best in my time following the Bairns, I just hope that if we do start to lose games in this league, which might well happen we stick by him and the team.

1 hour ago, RC55 FFC said:

My dad was very unwell and in hospital at the time of the play off matches with Airdrie so the results just didn’t seem to matter (and really didn’t) and maybe numbed my take on it all at the time. 

But I’ll never forget what he said to me the day after the 1st leg. I was visiting him at FVH and told him the score from the night before (we were going to watch it on TV together but he was tired and told me to just go as that’s what he wanted). He thought I was joking and took some persuading tbh. 

But when he did believe me, I’ll never forget him telling me to stick with it, don’t give up. He was the reason I was a Bairn after all. He fought to the end until a few weeks later and it’s been amazing to see us on this run pretty much since then. I hope we win on Saturday but if we don’t, I know never to give up on us. 💙

The wisest of words. 

2 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

My dad was very unwell and in hospital at the time of the play off matches with Airdrie so the results just didn’t seem to matter (and really didn’t) and maybe numbed my take on it all at the time. 

But I’ll never forget what he said to me the day after the 1st leg. I was visiting him at FVH and told him the score from the night before (we were going to watch it on TV together but he was tired and told me to just go as that’s what he wanted). He thought I was joking and took some persuading tbh. 

But when he did believe me, I’ll never forget him telling me to stick with it, don’t give up. He was the reason I was a Bairn after all. He fought to the end until a few weeks later and it’s been amazing to see us on this run pretty much since then. I hope we win on Saturday but if we don’t, I know never to give up on us. 💙

To be a Bairn you have to believe that bad times are only there to make the good times feel even better