The Falkirk FC Thread

58 minutes ago, BPM said:

it will be us or Livingston who win this league. 

10 games into a 36-game season (and 6 clubs have only played 9) is simply too early to be making such a definitive prediction. Far too early.

2 hours ago, Bairnabéu17 said:

Safe standing isn't about stopping there being more people, it's about stopping how many people are able to push forward before hitting a barrier. If only 3 or 4 people push forward into a barrier it's relatively safe, as opposed to thousands pushing forward without being broken up. If you take away seats you could presumably fit an extra couple of people in each row/section behind each barrier safely.

The idea surely though is to give you a choice.. As in the pics provided each seat is still there. If you don't do it by seating how do you limit how many people are in each row?

6 minutes ago, Super Simon said:

10 games into a 36-game season (and 6 clubs have only played 9) is simply too early to be making such a definitive prediction. Far too early.

Not for me it isn’t. We have seen everyone. We are miles ahead of the other two serious candidates at the start of the season Raith and Partick which IMO rules them out. Livingston are a real threat but outside them who is going to get near us? Ayr ? QP? 

31 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Sorting through some old FFC programmes in the loft this morning and a couple of things struck me...

1. How many games were cancelled in the winter at brockville due to a waterlogged or frozen pitch. Say what you like about plastic pitches we really don't lose as many games to the weather.

2. How well the crowds have held up and exceeded in the past 30-40 years. If anything they are up on a like for like basis eg playing Ayr in the second tier of Scottish football 

3. One of my favourite photos in an old programme. Some younger fans may not be aware Dalglish and Souness playing in a Falkirk strip at brockville for a Falkirk select in the Andy nicol testimonial game 

IMG20241020094651.thumb.jpg.458257e95eafe6c0b1326299f51ec0e2.jpg

Did Kevin Keegan play for the opposition that day or was that the George Young Testimonial? does your programme clarify.

10 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Did Kevin Keegan play for the opposition that day or was that the George Young Testimonial? does your programme clarify.

I was at both games and remember Keegan playing in one of them. Unfortunately it's back up in the loft! Others will likely know 

39 minutes ago, BPM said:

Not for me it isn’t. We have seen everyone. We are miles ahead of the other two serious candidates at the start of the season Raith and Partick which IMO rules them out. Livingston are a real threat but outside them who is going to get near us? Ayr ? QP? 

Ayr United have 26 league games still to play. They are 5 points behind and still have to play us three times, twice at home. Queen's Park have played a game less which, if they win, would leave them in exactly the same position.

That's without taking into account any of the myriad factors that can, and most likely will, affect a team's form over the course of a nine and a half/ten month season

So yes, your definitive "it's us or Livingston" statement one quarter of the way through the season is premature in the extreme. 

13 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I was at both games and remember Keegan playing in one of them. Unfortunately it's back up in the loft! Others will likely know 

6 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It was 2 grand days out.

I don't know if this helps?

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/198804241.html

I was at the Andy Nicol testimonial game and somehow I had it in my head that there were a lot more guest players than just Dalglish, Souness and Tommy Burns (Burns outshone both Dalglish and Souness that day, by the way).

@JS_FFC it's a balancing act the club have.

Sell-out the KM with guaranteed ST or designate it as open admittance and hope everyone's mates turn up every other week.

They also have to be mindful of the message that incentivising a move could signal - you're wanted but just not in the KM. Might that deter some folk completely. 

I'd also factor in that this is a result of the teams and Ultras success - if and when that dips do you have the opposite problem as it was before.

It's complicated.

Would agree it’s too early. We’ve started superbly but so much could still happen. Don’t think Livingston will go anywhere;  Ayr will hang about; QP don’t look spectacular but are solid; Partick, Raith or both could go on a run/click at some point, or (despite looking inconceivable now) we could easily enter our own rut and fail to win a few on the bounce. John McG said himself it’s a great start, but that’s all it is, a start. Would hold off until we’ve played everyone twice to begin to see where we are.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

53 minutes ago, Super Simon said:

Ayr United have 26 league games still to play. They are 5 points behind and still have to play us three times, twice at home. Queen's Park have played a game less which, if they win, would leave them in exactly the same position.

That's without taking into account any of the myriad factors that can, and most likely will, affect a team's form over the course of a nine and a half/ten month season

So yes, your definitive "it's us or Livingston" statement one quarter of the way through the season is premature in the extreme. 

It is my opinion. I think it is a two horse race on the evidence I have seen. Ayr have been poor both times we played them and don’t see them troubling us or Livingston. I watched their game yesterday and defensively they are poor. 
As I predicted after our win on Friday the rest would cut each others throats. That is what happened. Take a look at the betting for the league. The bookies don’t get it wrong very often. 

IMG_0030.jpeg

PS We are where we are with 5/6 squad players injured too

Edited by BPM

21 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

@JS_FFC it's a balancing act the club have.

Sell-out the KM with guaranteed ST or designate it as open admittance and hope everyone's mates turn up every other week.

They also have to be mindful of the message that incentivising a move could signal - you're wanted but just not in the KM. Might that deter some folk completely. 

I'd also factor in that this is a result of the teams and Ultras success - if and when that dips do you have the opposite problem as it was before.

It's complicated.

Think it’s fair to say that for the next season or two it’s unlikely that many seats will become available in the KM stand. People looking to purchase KM STs will have no option other than the main stand.
It would be so wrong for the club even to consider making it open admittance, as that’s a GIRFUY to hundreds that have faithfully backed the club since the stand went up.

The club may have a bigger but very positive issue, with Saturdays game already looking like it’s another home crowd sell out, if we continue and maintain our fantastic Q1, we could be looking at near sell outs which I gather would see more STs for the main stand being purchased. 

25 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Think it’s fair to say that for the next season or two it’s unlikely that many seats will become available in the KM stand. People looking to purchase KM STs will have no option other than the main stand.
It would be so wrong for the club even to consider making it open admittance, as that’s a GIRFUY to hundreds that have faithfully backed the club since the stand went up.

The club may have a bigger but very positive issue, with Saturdays game already looking like it’s another home crowd sell out, if we continue and maintain our fantastic Q1, we could be looking at near sell outs which I gather would see more STs for the main stand being purchased. 

Agree 100%, most of us have been ST holders when the times were really bad, the club won’t lose track of that fact now things are better. If the good times continue then they will have to look at different options to get more folk in, but those of us that have been in the KM for years have to have the option to remain there if we want.

We've made a very good start with an excellent Q1 and we've given ourselves a great chance to be in with shout. Remembering also that the cash rich clubs in the league will want to spend and roll the dice in January, so in that respect, a tad early to know for sure what impact that will have on our chances.

1 minute ago, GunnerBairn said:

We've made a very good start with an excellent Q1 and we've given ourselves a great chance to be in with shout. Remembering also that the cash rich clubs in the league will want to spend and roll the dice in January, so in that respect, a tad early to know for sure what impact that will have on our chances.

But how often do we hear that there's nothing but dross available in the January window?

42 minutes ago, BPM said:

It is my opinion. I think it is a two horse race on the evidence I have seen. Ayr have been poor both times we played them and don’t see them troubling us or Livingston. I watched their game yesterday and defensively they are poor. 
As I predicted after our win on Friday the rest would cut each others throats. That is what happened. Take a look at the betting for the league. The bookies don’t get it wrong very often. 

IMG_0030.jpeg

PS We are where we are with 5/6 squad players injured too

The bookies actually get it "wrong" quite a lot, especially with lower league Scottish football. 

20 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The bookies actually get it "wrong" quite a lot, especially with lower league Scottish football. 

Tell me they are wrong with the betting here then?