The Falkirk FC Thread

There isn't a decent team in the league this season. All that was required was two or three players who were passable and we'd have finished streets ahead of this rotten Hibs team. Eight players brought in and every single one has been shite or crippled. Houston's recruitment this season has blown the biggest chance we've had to get out of this midden of a league and I include Gary Holt's season in that.

There isn't a decent team in the league this season. All that was required was two or three players who were passable and we'd have finished streets ahead of this rotten Hibs team. Eight players brought in and every single one has been shite or crippled. Houston's recruitment this season has blown the biggest chance we've had to get out of this midden of a league and I include Gary Holt's season in that.

What makes it worse is the budget (that Houston keeps going on about) is probably the best we've had since the first season we came down and still had jobbers under contract like Olejnik, McLean, Scobbie, Twaddle, O'Brien and Finnigan all on good wages.

What makes it worse is the budget (that Houston keeps going on about) is probably the best we've had since the first season we came down and still had jobbers under contract like Olejnik, McLean, Scobbie, Twaddle, O'Brien and Finnigan all on good wages.

Still about 1/2 of Dundee Utd and 1/4 of Hibs

Still about 1/2 of Dundee Utd and 1/4 of Hibs

This is definitely true but Dundee United are hamstrung by legacy Premiership contracts on players like Dillon, Dixon, Telfer which will eat into that budget. We finished above Hibs last season and they've then lost Henderson and Stokes which is comparable to us losing Vaulks and Alston. Hibs are clearly worse this year than last year.

The failings at United and Hibs this season shouldn't cover up how bad our signings have been. It's 9 of the same 11 who were so good last year. Adding literally two players of any quality (a 25% success rate) would've seen us win the title IMO. Instead he's lazily signed dross and we're miles off the pace.

This is definitely true but Dundee United are hamstrung by legacy Premiership contracts on players like Dillon, Dixon, Telfer which will eat into that budget. We finished above Hibs last season and they've then lost Henderson and Stokes which is comparable to us losing Vaulks and Alston. Hibs are clearly worse this year than last year.

The failings at United and Hibs this season shouldn't cover up how bad our signings have been. It's 9 of the same 11 who were so good last year. Adding literally two players of any quality (a 25% success rate) would've seen us win the title IMO. Instead he's lazily signed dross and we're miles off the pace.

We were 5 points behind Hibs at this stage last season. So whilst we are 9 now we are certainly not miles off.

You won't have me disagreeing about getting quality in. We won't pay the money however to get someone like a Dobbie

I think everyone agrees that Houston hasn't signed well this season. The first half of the season we were poor in results and performances. However in credit to Houston he's done what he does best and got the most out of what he has got. Since we got that settled, and imo our best, back four in at the turn of the year we are unbeaten in 7 and playing well. The form tables reflect this. I'm much happier now than I was 3 months ago. There seems to be too much negativity about at this stage of the season we really need to believe and get behind the team like we all did last year. It might just make the small difference required and we are well in the mix...it's positive

51 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I think everyone agrees that Houston hasn't signed well this season. The first half of the season we were poor in results and performances. However in credit to Houston he's done what he does best and got the most out of what he has got. Since we got that settled, and imo our best, back four in at the turn of the year we are unbeaten in 7 and playing well. The form tables reflect this. I'm much happier now than I was 3 months ago. There seems to be too much negativity about at this stage of the season we really need to believe and get behind the team like we all did last year. It might just make the small difference required and we are well in the mix...it's positive

The problem is we've had too many games like Saturday and they keep happening. Raith, Ayr United and Dumbarton at home should be 9 points all day for us but we only picked up 2. Those kind of games are killing our chances of outright promotion whilst DU and Hibs are stumbling. I thought after the DU game that things had finally clicked but we're back leaking goals again and its costing us far too many points. We now have a very important game against Queens. One we really cant afford to lose and after dropping another two points at home to Dumbarton one we really need to win. If we lose to Queens and they win their game in hand then the pressure is really on for a playoff spot when we should really be challenging Hibs for the title the way they are playing. 

1 hour ago, Trump said:

And what size of budget do Morton have compared to us? Yet there they are.

Yip no denying their budget will be less than ours.

I just think we all need to have a reality check.

We are not going to win a league with Dundee Utd and Hibs in it when our budget is that far away from Hibs.

When we have won this league before we have spent significantly more money to get us there. Unless we do that again I don't see us getting up any time soon.

Whether Houston should even be entrusted with that increase is very much up for debate.

We are unbeaten in 7. If that doubles we will 100% finish 2nd IMO. Everyone is much of a muchness.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Yip no denying their budget will be less than ours.

I just think we all need to have a reality check.

We are not going to win a league with Dundee Utd and Hibs in it when our budget is that far away from Hibs.

When we have won this league before we have spent significantly more money to get us there. Unless we do that again I don't see us getting up any time soon.

Whether Houston should even be entrusted with that increase is very much up for debate.

We are unbeaten in 7. If that doubles we will 100% finish 2nd IMO. Everyone is much of a muchness.

We ended up ahead of a far better Hibs side last season and DU are bang average as we saw a few weeks back. If we'd done better in replacing Vaulks and Alston there's no reason why we couldn't have won it this season.