The Falkirk FC Thread

30 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Isn't Sammut our box to box midfielder? Or do you mean in addition to him? RWB priority now in my opinion, wouldn't want to shoe horn someone in there after all of these signings and not getting one that plays that position. 

Ideally we'd have 2 Will Vaulks types next to a Mark Kerr circa 2016 in our midfield 3 IMO.

39 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
40 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:
Of we were going to sign wing backs, I'd  suggest we would have by now. So either we aren't using them this season, or PH is happy with his options there. 

Why would we have signed them by now?

If we were going to be playing with wing backs and PH was unhappy with the ones we had, signing more would have been integral to the signing policy. We have signed enough players for a complete starting 11, so if it was going to have happened, I'd think it would by now.

We've not been linked with any, we weren't teased by the club with regards to any. We've signed players that can play wide further up the park, that makes at least me think that we will be playing with fullbacks. I can't see it happening. So it's either another season with fullbacks forced to play at wingback, or fullbacks and wide midfielders. We played with 3/5 at the back to stay in this league, if we are looking to go up, we need to be more attack minded. That's my ramble anyway.

14 minutes ago, Trump said:

Just me that thought TOE was a central midfielder? Don’t see the issue with 3-5-2 or as some are calling it ‘5 at the back’. One of our best seasons in this league was under McCall using the same system.

I seem to remember us having far better options at wingback that season though.

2 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

What happened to the train set we were signing? I distinctly remember someone ITK saying we were getting a train set.

I said we had more chance of a trainset than that Hornby boy. It's getting installed in the matchday bar #ITK

10 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

If we were going to be playing with wing backs and PH was unhappy with the ones we had, signing more would have been integral to the signing policy. We have signed enough players for a complete starting 11, so if it was going to have happened, I'd think it would by now.

We've not been linked with any, we weren't teased by the club with regards to any. We've signed players that can play wide further up the park, that makes at least me think that we will be playing with fullbacks. I can't see it happening. So it's either another season with fullbacks forced to play at wingback, or fullbacks and wide midfielders. We played with 3/5 at the back to stay in this league, if we are looking to go up, we need to be more attack minded. That's my ramble anyway.

This is true, but so far his options for RWB/RB are the same as when he joined as manager and he brought Tumilty in.  He has previously said midfield and attackers were what he was after tho.

If Brough's best position is LWB, then it wouldn't surprise me if either he or Robson end up at RWB. I know both are left footed, but in terms of patrolling the flanks they are basically the same position. All it means is that whoever plays on the right has to cut inside to put a cross in.

If Brough's best position is LWB, then it wouldn't surprise me if either he or Robson end up at RWB. I know both are left footed, but in terms of patrolling the flanks they are basically the same position. All it means is that whoever plays on the right has to cut inside to put a cross in.
^^^Didnt see Aero move to left back at Tannadice

was in getting my season tickets at the back of 2 today and they said they'd sold over 2100 at that point with a steady trickle coming in and out when I was there. hopefully beat targets and allows ph another player?

're squad selection if after we bring in over a dozen new faces thus summer and we are still talking of kidd starting I'll be very disappointed. ok as midfield backup but that's absolutely it.

26 minutes ago, Falkirkfan1985 said:

Craig McPherson and Jamie McQuilken...We had Andy Lawie until the bad leg break... Although I seem to remember Steven Rennie playing RWB a couple of times 

Lawrie was absolutely on fire until that injury. He was scoring for fun too. What strikes me most is how well Hagi adapted to playing RWB for one of the most one footed players we've probably every had. Still I think my favourite season watching Falkirk. The football was absolutely sexual.

47 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Lawrie was absolutely on fire until that injury. He was scoring for fun too. What strikes me most is how well Hagi adapted to playing RWB for one of the most one footed players we've probably every had. Still I think my favourite season watching Falkirk. The football was absolutely sexual.

Highest scoring full back in my time watching Falkirk I believe (1968), which would suggest that he may be our highest scoring full back of all time given that full backs rarely crossed the half way line at one time.

Stats will show that Houston and Wilson Hoggan scored more but they were playing midfield/up front for most of their goals.

I was sat in the main stand that day Lawrie got his leg broken against a brutal Clyde side. he was on one of his usual right wing attacks and it happened right in front of us I can still hear the crack of his leg breaking....great player brilliant when you can rely on a defender not only to score as many goals but set a fair few up too and keep the opposition penned into their own half

49 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I was sat in the main stand that day Lawrie got his leg broken against a brutal Clyde side. he was on one of his usual right wing attacks and it happened right in front of us I can still hear the crack of his leg breaking....great player brilliant when you can rely on a defender not only to score as many goals but set a fair few up too and keep the opposition penned into their own half

Yeah I was in the enclosure it was horrible.