The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

If I remember correctly, did Lovell not start playing late November that season and not finish our top goalscorer with 12 or so goals?

Was more the injuries, drama and gobby missus that put most folk off him. Yeah, he was top scorer in a poor team, but would he have been able to stand up the season after. 

3 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

8 league goals in 28 games.

Then aye a half season at Partick, before moving to Bournemouth and retiring at 30. One of the few thing May got right imo. 

Off the back of this seasons relatively unknown signings, I have two questions for you fellow bairns fans:

1. Who has been the biggest let down of a signing?

2. Who’s been the biggest (good) surprise of a signing?

The most recent example of the first question would be Loy, with the excitement and expectation that came with the signing, but drastically underperformed.
biggest let down in 35 years has been loy. I don't normally have high expectations of players coming in however we knew him well and what he was capable of. we had been good the season before and the thought of a front line of loy Austin sibbald and hippo did get me excited. creativity with speed and experience. just a real shame the way it worked our for all parties

biggest surprise for me without a doubt was stainrod. sure he had pedigree but to be honest I'd never heard of him till he arrived. let's be honest we played at a dump (our dump) of a stadium and played in the second tier in Scotland so why would anyone that good come to us? when I saw him he was old overweight and couldn't run. how wrong was I? not just the amazing goals he scored (I was at Perth for the 57 yard kick off goal into the wind and rain) it was his pi$$ taking on and off the field his trickery and the opposition looked terrified of him. didn't know what he would do next. to top it off we actually won the league. without a doubt my favourite season and a half of watching falkirk. closely followed by watching crunchie latapy and the McCall season with Coyle and Samuel

Then aye a half season at Partick, before moving to Bournemouth and retiring at 30. One of the few thing May got right imo. 
Funny I always thought letting Lovell go was his biggest mistake. Had he stayed and scored another 8 goals over the season we wouldn't have went down.

It would have been fine if he had replaced him with someone over 17 who could have found the net mind.

You can drill this down further. There are loads of wee individual disappointments to be had. Enoch Showumni looked like a fair auld unit of a laddie. When you first seen that incredible ability he had to jump, but somehow become smaller, its a disappointment.

Likewise there are wee things that are great to see in players. Aero is limited football wise but the way he celebrates goals makes me love him!

For sure though the biggest let down I can bring to mind just now is Loy, but that is probably made worse in that his signing and subsequent flop was basically a perfect metaphor for the season. Loy will always be seen as synonymous with that clusterfuck.

3 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

Funny I always thought letting Lovell go was his biggest mistake. Had he stayed and scored another 8 goals over the season we wouldn't have went down.

It would have been fine if he had replaced him with someone over 17 who could have found the net mind.

Maybe he would have. There's always the possibility that we would have gone down and been stuck with a high premier league wage for a season. A guy who was deciding on the day if he would play or not is no use in a relegation battle, which i always believed was Mays point.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

You can drill this down further. There are loads of wee individual disappointments to be had. Enoch Showumni looked like a fair auld unit of a laddie. When you first seen that incredible ability he had to jump, but somehow become smaller, its a disappointment.

Likewise there are wee things that are great to see in players. Aero is limited football wise but the way he celebrates goals makes me love him!

For sure though the biggest let down I can bring to mind just now is Loy, but that is probably made worse in that his signing and subsequent flop was basically a perfect metaphor for the season. Loy will always be seen as synonymous with that clusterfuck.

I'm a hi fan of Aero cock punching zombies, to be fair.

2 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

2560 early bird seasons sold. not bad given last season's disaster. I was told including the half seasons at Xmas last year we only sold 2700 in total so looks like we will actually be up on last season

If you take the SS Adult as a mid point between adult prime and concession prices that could be around 600k in revenue, not bad at all. 

biggest let down in 35 years has been loy. I don't normally have high expectations of players coming in however we knew him well and what he was capable of. we had been good the season before and the thought of a front line of loy Austin sibbald and hippo did get me excited. creativity with speed and experience. just a real shame the way it worked our for all parties

biggest surprise for me without a doubt was stainrod. sure he had pedigree but to be honest I'd never heard of him till he arrived. let's be honest we played at a dump (our dump) of a stadium and played in the second tier in Scotland so why would anyone that good come to us? when I saw him he was old overweight and couldn't run. how wrong was I? not just the amazing goals he scored (I was at Perth for the 57 yard kick off goal into the wind and rain) it was his pi$$ taking on and off the field his trickery and the opposition looked terrified of him. didn't know what he would do next. to top it off we actually won the league. without a doubt my favourite season and a half of watching falkirk. closely followed by watching crunchie latapy and the McCall season with Coyle and Samuel

Loy?? Loy???

Burron O’Brien, Paul Wright and Derek Ferguson are way ahead of him on that list.

Just now, Crawford Baptie said:

Loy?? Loy???

Burron O’Brien, Paul Wright and Derek Ferguson are way ahead of him on that list.

John Stewart and Brian Hamilton, both players we paid money for. 

Loy?? Loy???

not for me. I expected him to score 20 goals last season and he scored 1 against Brechin. when he did play he was like a shell of a man. add into that his salary was high and funded in part by fans it's definitely loy for me

1 minute ago, wee_bairn said:

Biggest letdown for me was Wallner. He came to the club with a massive pedigree but was never played. 

As previously mentioned, Vaulks the surprise package. 

That was more a managerial letdown to be fair. Can play if he doesn't get put on the pitch. 

Totally agree with your Stainrod summary.

We also signed Jason Lee as a striking option during the awfulview season anyone thats watch sky sports or MOTD has seen some of his misses in fact he was reknowed for missing the goal just as a reminder of how bad some of them were and at least he didnt consign it just to England.