The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Quite astonished that having told a 60 year old woman to f**k off this week, I'm still not the angriest person in this thread tbh.

Who's angry? I'm just not buying into the John Hughes as the messiah tripe that's for sale at the moment. It's entertaining, but not overly palatable. Requires a lot of sauce and a selective memory. 

4 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Only if you ignore all the shite signings, the falling out with players, the constant press releases saying he was using the club as a stepping stone. Then the last season where he saw what a c**t of it he made and fucked off. We are still dealing with his shit, so no, it's not a huge success at all. 

I'll leave it at this stage because it's been done to death and we're arguing about something a decade ago.

Everything I've posted is a quantifiable fact. Yours are all bitter, rambling opinions laced with profanity.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

I'll leave it at this stage because it's been done to death and we're arguing about something a decade ago.

Everything I've posted is a quantifiable fact. Yours are all bitter, rambling opinions laced with profanity.

Aye, alright then. His last season was clearly a paradise on earth. All his signings were brilliant and it's all someone else fault. Gotcha. 

Won the First Division twice, finished 7th in the SPL twice, first ever qualification for Europe in our history, victories over both the Old Firm, players like Latapy/Stokes/Riera/Schmeichel/Krul etc etc etc, no relegation from the top flight, Scottish Cup final.

Of all the managers we could justifiably slag off this is who we choose.

1 minute ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

I think Ian McCalls team trumps every Yogi team and the Jim Jefferies team that finished just behind Celtic in a 10 team league would have murdered Yogis team too.

But Yogi is the messiah. As long as you can only remember back 10 years at most. Enough is enough though. 

When is Bainsford doing the photo op for Bairnardo? 

1 minute ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Of all the managers we could justifiably slag off this is who we choose.

Presley was shit. May was shit. Holt was ok. None of them signed the players and left the mess that caused the collapse. I'm never gonna buy the legend tag, precisely because of how he acted and both the way he left and the mess he left behind him. 

Seems imin the minority, no change there then. 

7 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Presley was shit. May was shit. Holt was ok. None of them signed the players and left the mess that caused the collapse. I'm never gonna buy the legend tag, precisely because of how he acted and both the way he left and the mess he left behind him. 

Seems imin the minority, no change there then. 

Hughes was given a budget and spent it. How a manager spending the money he's given by the Board of Directors makes him responsible for the 'collapse' of a club is beyond me.

Edited by EdiBairn

4 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Hughes was given a budget and spent it. How a manager spending the money he's given by the Board of Directore makes him responsible for the 'collapse' of a club is beyond me.

Presley, McCann, Bullen and McNamara. Also, Lovell. Would all have been on hefty wages. That was the massive increase spent on five players who did not a lot between them. Do I have to explain how different thing would have been if that money had been well-spent instead of fucked up the retirement home wall? 

Edit: struggling to think of a single person who thought, with the exception of Lovell that any of these were good signings at the time. 

Edited by DeeBairn

By an absolute mile. Anyone who's watched us over the last 10 years who has a go at Yogi is a brain donor.

Yogi had his faults, plenty of them, but you don’t take Falkirk up to the top league, go on a run of multiple years performing above expectations in that league and playing outstanding football in spells, then take ICT to a cup win(unfortunately), if you are a shite manager.

I agree that a lot of his decisions towards the end of his tenure initiated our relegation and left us in overspend, but there have been other factors such as subsequent mismanagement and finding ourselves finishing second behind Rangers and Hibs that are bigger factors still.

2 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Presley, McCann, Bullen and McNamara. Also, Lovell. Would all have been on hefty wages. That was the massive increase spent on five players who did not a lot between them. Do I have to explain how different thing would have been if that money had been well-spent instead of fucked up the retirement home wall? 

Edit: struggling to think of a single person who thought, with the exception of Lovell that any of these were good signings at the time. 

So he made signings that didn't work out. Just like May, Pressley, Houston, Hartley and every other manager have made bad signings. That doesn't make him responsible for the 'collapse' of the club.

6 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

Hughes was given a budget and spent it. How a manager spending the money he's given by the Board of Directore makes him responsible for the 'collapse' of a club is beyond me.

If you sent your man out for a month's messages and he comes back with 3 steaks 1 month past their sell by date, half a dozen broken eggs, 4 tins without labels that turn out to be horse mince and a packet of polos - who's to blame for the family going hungry?

12 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

I think Ian McCalls team trumps every Yogi team and the Jim Jefferies team that finished just behind Celtic in a 10 team league would have murdered Yogis team too.

McCall coasted the 2nd tier but was exposed, against Premier opposition, in a cup tie at EEP.

Yogi was/is a tosser but had us playing a brand of football, while displaying fitness levels, that have been unrivalled in my time as a Bairn. The fact that he was such a tosser made him unattractive to other clubs and we got more years out of him than we would normally expect from a decent gaffer.

He eventually ran out of ideas, changed his signing policy, turned the players against the fans and left us in the poop*. This doesn't detract from some of the football he produced.

*toning my language down. That alright with you, San?