The Falkirk FC Thread

Today wasnt great but certainly nothing to piss the pants about. Like I said in the match thread, its wee tweaks to better play to strengths IMO.

The system needs to work for a big guy up top because that is likely to be a constant between Haber and Mackin. Greenwood getting fit will hopefully free up Lewis to go up front and I think Robson/Greenwood on the left would be night and day to today.

McGhee could then move to RB where he is an upgrade on Aero.

I think today showed we still lack quality. I'd be looking to accelerate efforts to get rid of Harris, McKee and Shepherd. I'd also try and cut Turner's loan short and move on O'Hara and Froxy because there's no point us having players who can't even make the bench. That should free up funds to bring in a few pieces of experience and quality.

Edited by EdiBairn

Hartley needs to stop fucking around with formations.

We can all see that a 442 with Lewis and a big guy up front is the best we can do at the moment. So assuming everyone is fit for the next game

5b65cfe43869c_lineup(3).png.932d597a8ba3090f51b0ff48f1d196ac.png
I concur with this side. only slight change I'd make might be petravious he needs to be more direct if he wants to keep getting a game. looks bereft of confidence. with speed like that hit and run hit and run. one up top was useless today

19 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I though Dallison and Aero were really poor today.

Need to give the team time to gel though.

Absolutely in terms of gelling, but we're clearly weakening ourselves by continuing to shoehorn centre-backs in full-back areas.  The full defensive line looked petrified to do anything with the ball and just hoofed it wherever they could.  Defensively, they looked disorganised and well off the pace, they'll struggle against a decent striker.  Harrison seems like a complete bombscare but it's still early days.  The Don seems to be making something relatively simple such as picking a back 4 in their most comfortable positions seem like neurosurgery...  

Robson--Dallison--McGhee--SIGN A RIGHT BACK

3 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

I think today showed we still lack quality. I'd be looking to accelerate efforts to get rid of Harris, McKee and Shepherd. I'd also try and cut Turner's loan short and move on O'Hara and Froxy because there's no point us having players who can't even make the bench. That should free up funds to bring in a few pieces of experience and quality.

Much as I'd love to get rid of those guys, they are all going to sit on their arses  contracts until the end of the season. For all Turner has shown, we could send him home and not notice. I'f Turner goes, O'Hara would probably have to be the last resort striker.

Froxy won't be going anywhere, he's said himself he's been hampered by niggles all preseason. He'll likely have some part to play as we go on.

Really, really poor at times. Beyond belief how the goal was disallowed and the fact it took so long for him to do it, even though I’m certain he was talked into it by half the ICT team. Irving was a standout. Really really good I felt. Haber did well too. Harrison, McGhee and Dallison were awful.

3 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:
37 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:
Hartley needs to stop fucking around with formations.

We can all see that a 442 with Lewis and a big guy up front is the best we can do at the moment. So assuming everyone is fit for the next game

5b65cfe43869c_lineup(3).png.932d597a8ba3090f51b0ff48f1d196ac.png

I concur with this side. only slight change I'd make might be petravious he needs to be more direct if he wants to keep getting a game. looks bereft of confidence. with speed like that hit and run hit and run. one up top was useless today

Two up front occupies the centre halfs, then Petra and whoever is the Left Winger are one on one with the fullback when there is a long ball needing chasing. If we are going to go direct, anyway. Might be the best way to play him as from what I've seen he doesn't look confident beating people face on?

5 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Much as I'd love to get rid of those guys, they are all going to sit on their arses  contracts until the end of the season. For all Turner has shown, we could send him home and not notice. I'f Turner goes, O'Hara would probably have to be the last resort striker.

Froxy won't be going anywhere, he's said himself he's been hampered by niggles all preseason. He'll likely have some part to play as we go on.

If we got rid of Turner, O'Hara and Shepherd, we'd still have Lewis, Mackin and Haber upfront. I think those 3 wages(plus Harris and Mckee's if they could be moved out) could get us 1 or 2 pieces of quality.

1st half - Not any better, but not any worse. Sneck scored with their only chance, off a mistake when Harrison was drawn out to follow Austin & Muirhead was forced to cover him.
Better 2nd half, goal chalked off due to Sneck players fouling the goalscorer! Thought we lost something when TOE went off, Petra being a more worthy candidate for the swap. Think TOE & Irvine could develop a partnership in the middle, leaving Paton to provide the dig. Both Lewis & Petra should be encouraged to take full backs on, as they seemed a bit reticent to do so. Haber was decent, with an ability to hold the ball up & lay it off &, if properly supported, could really be effective.
More to look forward to than not & an improvement on last season's 1st game. When the wheels fell off after 20 mins.
Finally, anybody that has ideas that we will win the division, has got rocks in their head. 4th us the target & this'll take weeks to gel.

2 minutes ago, EdiBairn said:

If we got rid of Turner, O'Hara and Shepherd, we'd still have Lewis, Mackin and Haber upfront. I think those 3 wages(plus Harris and Mckee's if they could be moved out) could get us 1 or 2 pieces of quality.

We'd still need to hold on to someone, O'Hara likely, until we knew we were getting another striker in, as we'd run the risk of having only three strikers and i doubt theres anyone in the reserves or whatever we are calling it this year.

Off- topic but I have to say the match programmes this season and last haven't been up to much. While they look better than previous, there's virtually no content to actually read. There used to be a number of columns and features etc, which is the least I'd expect for £3.

1 minute ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Tend to agree. Dont look remotely like our last few Div 1 winning sides. This looks more like the Hughes season at Ochilview. 

Bite yer airms off for 4th

I'd bite yer arse for fifth if we keep playing Aero at RB, tbf.

Off- topic but I have to say the match programmes this season and last haven't been up to much. While they look better than previous, there's virtually no content to actually read. There used to be a number of columns and features etc, which is the least I'd expect for £3.
this. wonder if they'll bother to put a league table in this season. I buy them because I collect them and always have done but it's rubbish

Wasnt great but wasny terrible

Irving was our best player by a mile,

Petra should never taker corners

Like the thot of haber n lewis up front in a 2

Greenwood looked good when came on

Unless muirhead plays CH he should not play, cant quite beleive we r still fuckin about wi him at RB

The thing is there are clear and obvious improvments to be made which, if Hartley sees them and makes them next week, I think we could be decent.

McGhee to RB, Robson to start. CH pairing from Aero Dallison or Harrison.

Drop Paton, start Greenwood, put Lewis up top with Haber.

I think its bordering on self explanatory.

Think Hartley needs to play Robson at left back, either Dallison, Harrison or Muirhead in the centre and McGhee at right back. Settle on a back 4 and unless we get injuries or suspensions stop fucking with the defence. It's the only way they will gel and build an understanding.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

The thing is there are clear and obvious improvments to be made which, if Hartley sees them and makes them next week, I think we could be decent.

McGhee to RB, Robson to start. CH pairing from Aero Dallison or Harrison.

Drop Paton, start Greenwood, put Lewis up top with Haber.

I think its bordering on self explanatory.

But these things have been clear and obvious throughout pre-season and longer. Whenever we've played 1 upfront, the striker has been too isolated. Robson played well at left back for 6 months last season, and Muirhead hasn't been good enough at right back for 4 seasons(which is why Hartley himself brought in Tumilty to replace him last season)