The Falkirk FC Thread

Guys, guys!  What's happening here?  Where's the Falkirk feelgood factor that kept us entertained on here throughout the summer?  It's not so long ago that a lot of you were changing your avatars to pictures of PH and chanting in chorus "in Paul we trust",  maybe now  reality is setting in and the bright new dawn might end up just being another wet miserable day.  This is still entertaining but in a different,  more satisfying way. 

“Guys, guys!” - Jesus Christ.

The problem for me is that the bod have thrown all our eggs now into the promotion basket.  We've got a pretty big  squad for a club our size and bringing players up here from down south wont have been cheap.  We've now no academy sales to fall back on  so I wouldnt like to see our profit and loss figures if we don't go up. Playoffs to me were easily enough achievable under the last structure with the academy providing cash to help and us not going bust. The new structrure has to provide results now as we won't be able to bleed cash without promotion for very long.

Which is fine by me. I don't think any club has been promoted in recent years that took the plodding, safety-first route. I don't want to accept mediocrity. I want to see the club have a real go at promotion then, if it doesn't work out, I'll accept a season spent re-grouping to do it again. 

Decided to stay away from this until today mainly because I am now at work and can get away with it. 

Whilst we didnt play great, i reckon we were on par with Inverness. We had the bulk of possession without really troubling their keeper. This was to be expected as when Inverness went 1 up, they would have been  happy to sit back and make it difficult for us whilst attempting to hit us on the break. I am taking this as the first "real" competitive game. Anyone that went to the Betfred games could see that Hartley was tinkering (rightly or wrongly, i dont know)

Overall im not that fussed, I said a while back that the first 5 games will be grim then we will start to look  like a proper team. I would like to think that the Falkirk team in 10 games times would have taken all 3 points. 

Fasan - could do nothing about the goal and did very well to save us when Austin was clean through

Muirhead - not a right back but didnt perform too badly, should be playing centre half

Harrison - thought he was solid enough, didnt get raped for lack of pace and won alot of headers

Dallison - looked shaky, was at fault for goal and for Austin running clean through, not that impressed so far tbh

McGhee - possibly also at fault for goal, cant remember him doing much good but not his natural position

Paton - was solid enough without being good, seems like he panics everytime he gets the ball

Irving - was one of the best players, able to take a touch and give himself a yard of space, also remember a couple of mazy runs, needs to work on beating first man from corners

Petra - can see he has pace and as long as there is a gap behind the defender he should just hit and sprint but never does, with inverness playing deep he had less chance to do this

Lewis - not a natural winger, could have scored from our corner but almost looked like he cleared it with his knee...needs time to adapt to the game up here...also need to be up font

TOE - lots of times he was furthest forward, needs to get his foot on the ball and make a pass, needed to be alot closer to haber for his knockdowns

Haber - looked really good in air, never lost a ball in the 1st half, could be great if we play to his strengths. is able to direct his knockdowns which is useful

Subs

Greenwood - think he will be starting winger when fully fit, linked up well with irving a few times, done the simple thing of crossing into the box when he had the chance

Mackin - never done much when he came on,

team for partick

reckon it will be 352 for away games, he mentioned a different formation for home and away

fasan

muirhead harrison mcghee

petra     paton    irving     toe         robson

haber lewis

Weve been down here a decade WITH an academy. The days of selling players for a small fortune ended when we joined the forth valley academy. Who was the last academy player we sold for more than buttons anyway?

2 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Which is fine by me. I don't think any club has been promoted in recent years that took the plodding, safety-first route. I don't want to accept mediocrity. I want to see the club have a real go at promotion then, if it doesn't work out, I'll accept a season spent re-grouping to do it again. 

It could be a lot longer than one season if it doesn't work out and we have a gaping hole in our finances though.  That plus the fact that Falkirk fans have been very patient for the last few years but that's bound to be wearing thin especially if we have another poor season. Yes I'm all for giving it a go but the manager has to realise that its promotion or a new job for him.  At least Hughes(whatever you think of him) when given the budget produced the goods and got us up.  

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

It could be a lot longer than one season if it doesn't work out and we have a gaping hole in our finances though.  That plus the fact that Falkirk fans have been very patient for the last few years but that's bound to be wearing thin especially if we have another poor season. Yes I'm all for giving it a go but the manager has to realise that its promotion or a new job for him.  At least Hughes(whatever you think of him) when given the budget produced the goods and got us up.  

True. Lets ignore what happened when we have him a massive budget in the Premiership though.

We've been down here a decade playing the softly softly game and all we've managed to do is lose some great players because they wanted to play at a higher level. 

2 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Weve been down here a decade WITH an academy. The days of selling players for a small fortune ended when we joined the forth valley academy. Who was the last academy player we sold for more than buttons anyway?

We were taking in on average 250k a year from the academy. Thats not buttons to a club our size I'd say.  As i said I'm all for giving it a go as long as the manager produces the goods. Otherwise we're in the same situation we were in with the academy but in a far worse financial state. 

4 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

True. Lets ignore what happened when we have him a massive budget in the Premiership though.

We've been down here a decade playing the softly softly game and all we've managed to do is lose some great players because they wanted to play at a higher level. 

I'm no fan of Hughes but again at least when the board flung money at him then we got promoted. Will we get promoted under Hartley now that the bod have flung money at him ? Only time will tell but we would've been fecked financially if Hughes hadnt got us up that season as we lost 500k. I just hope its not the same case this time around.

Edited by Shodwall cat

21 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

I'm fine with this strategy even if it doesn't work. Was worth the punt. 

We've had a decade of mediocrity under the previous academy plus jobbers plan.

There's nowt wrong with the strategy if its carried out in the correct way. Thats how we got promoted before.  My concerns are with the manager appointed by the bod to carry out this strategy and his ability to achieve promotion with a vastly increased budget. 

I think we all need to remember that this overhaul isn't something Hartley decided he wanted to do, it's what he needed to do. Bringing 15 guys in is tough and for all we know he may not have got some of his first choice targets. Especially when you consider he planned on keeping Longridge, Welsh, Sibbs and hoped to get Nelson and Jakubiak back on loan. Not managing to keep/get those players made a hard job even harder.

That being said it's his job to make it work so he needs to find the best way to play

1 minute ago, Rocco said:

I think we all need to remember that this overhaul isn't something Hartley decided he wanted to do, it's what he needed to do. Bringing 15 guys in is tough and for all we know he may not have got some of his first choice targets. Especially when you consider he planned on keeping Longridge, Welsh, Sibbs and hoped to get Nelson and Jakubiak back on loan. Not managing to keep/get those players made a hard job even harder.

That being said it's his job to make it work so he needs to find the best way to play

Surely if he had really wanted to keep longridge and welsh they would still be here.  He obviously didnt see them as important enough to offer them what they were after. At the moment I'd have longridge over TOE any day of the week and petra looks as bad if not worse than Harris.  

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Longridge scored a stunning goal on Saturday, looks quality although a bit slow to get the ball away at times.

He'll now spend the next 8-10 games trying to replicate that and failing. Then he'll do something good again.

26 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

a bit slow to get the ball away at times.

He's criminally slow to release a pass. Give it a few games and you will be screaming at him to pass to literally anyone near him. If he doesn't score, he gives it away. There is no middle ground with him.

Surely if he had really wanted to keep longridge and welsh they would still be here.  He obviously didnt see them as important enough to offer them what they were after. At the moment I'd have longridge over TOE any day of the week and petra looks as bad if not worse than Harris.  
Doesn't take away from my point though. He offered them contracts so obviously wanted them to stay.

That's fair what your saying but TOE works harder and it's still early days for him. I'll give him more time before deciding if I agree with you or not.

9 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Doesn't take away from my point though. He offered them contracts so obviously wanted them to stay.

That's fair what your saying but TOE works harder and it's still early days for him. I'll give him more time before deciding if I agree with you or not.

Paying Sean Welsh what he wanted after the way he actually played on the rare occasion he was fit would have been criminal. And Long ridge is too inconsistent for a high wage. The fact he's settled for less at Dunfermline is telling. 

Paying Sean Welsh what he wanted after the way he actually played on the rare occasion he was fit would have been criminal. And Long ridge is too inconsistent for a high wage. The fact he's settled for less at Dunfermline is telling. 
I agree. Hartley obviously wanted them but was smart enough to know what they were worth.

Had he offered them big money to stay, I'm sure the fans would be in uproar