The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, BountyBairn said:

Don’t get all the chat about letting the cat out the bag about any budget available.

- it was always going to be the case

- it doesn’t mean we pay more than we want to offer for any given player

- we will need to find deals that suit the player in question to come in and do a job for us in our current position

none of that is changed by the press release.

Fair enough my opinion on the matter is maybe wrong. 

I still hope they get pelters on Thursday though :lol:

2 minutes ago, BountyBairn said:

Don’t get all the chat about letting the cat out the bag about any budget available.

- it was always going to be the case

- it doesn’t mean we pay more than we want to offer for any given player

- we will need to find deals that suit the player in question to come in and do a job for us in our current position

none of that is changed by the press release.

There was simply no need for a press release.  Yes it's obvious we were going to strengthen but that could have been due to a small amount of funds being made available or through player departures.  We have wasted money the past few seasons signing and freeing dross, we need to save every penny we can to get out of this mess.  Telling everyone that we have significant funds available prior to negotiations is just laughable and ill advised. 

Some agents will see this as a change to squeeze us for more cash on a deal.  We are now desperate for players and have money to spend - who do you think holds the power in that situation?  If we dont want to spend the inflated add-ons (due to our foolish announcement) on better players then we will be looking at 3rd and 4th choice signings and we all know how that will end up.

Making significant funds available to strengthen in January is a no brainer, announcing it publicly is amatuer nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Fans on here have been on about everything from public apologies to rallying cries from the board. Now we are complaining about confirmation that they will back McKinnon to get out of this mess.... f**k me.

WE NEED SILENCE FAE THE BOARD!!!

100% this. What is the big fucking deal here? Couldn't give a f**k what players hold out for, if they are good enough and we can afford them and they want to sign then that's all that matters. Not bothered a jot if this effects the players we have cos they are pish anyway, this makes no difference to that. Just moaning for the sake of it again. 

100% this. What is the big fucking deal here? Couldn't give a f**k what players hold out for, if they are good enough and we can afford them and they want to sign then that's all that matters. Not bothered a jot if this effects the players we have cos they are pish anyway, this makes no difference to that. Just moaning for the sake of it again. 
All of them have had offers to GTF too. Nap. Some just didnt accept, no one in our team is under any illusions if McKinnon doesnt think they are good enough

2 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

That was exactly Peter Risdale's signing policy at Leeds Utd , he ruined a great club too. 

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Fans on here have been on about everything from public apologies to rallying cries from the board. Now we are complaining about confirmation that they will back McKinnon to get out of this mess.... f**k me.

WE NEED SILENCE FAE THE BOARD!!!

I'm actually surprised folk are not bothered by this.  Even playing devil's advocate and we all agree a statement about supporting the manager is a good thing - why mentioned the funds are "substantial"?  It's so naive and ill thought out and completely undermines our negotiating position.

Well, the big deal is if we had a budget of 'X' in Janaury to bring in say 5 or 6 quality players that will keep us up, but now you add 10-15% to the cost of those players (due to us telling everyone how desperate we are to blow some cash) then you possibly cant get all the players you initially intended.  It therefore directly affects whether we can "afford them".

Anyway, the deed is done, the announcement made, FFC about to sort themselves out Rev 3.8.

Lets have some deeply personal pecking orders of who should replaced allowing them to vanish into the ether, and in what preferential sequence.

Mine would be 1) Paton, 2) Paton, 3) Dallison, 4) Lewis, 5) Haberdashery 6) Harrison

A self imposed limit of five (for now). Would the right quality of replacements be enough to turn the mess around?

Well, the big deal is if we had a budget of 'X' in Janaury to bring in say 5 or 6 quality players that will keep us up, but now you add 10-15% to the cost of those players (due to us telling everyone how desperate we are to blow some cash) then you possibly cant get all the players you initially intended.  It therefore directly affects whether we can "afford them".
It doesnt take much powers of interpretation to know that we will be desperate in January. Agents and clubs know that.

Current free agents arent going to hold us to ransom. They are free agents and its nearly November. If they can afford to knock back a gig because we offer 600 and they want to hold out for 700 fair play to them. Cant see it though in the market we look to operate.

As long as McKinnon is prudent I think that side of it is going to be the same either way.

21 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

It all revolves round who is going to be available and what impact they can make. It is a small pool of players who would be out of contract in January and would signing for a club who are fast sinking be a good career choice? What we need is a scout looking at the English market. What’s Mitch up to?

This is my great worry. The Jan window is generally not a time when players are out of contract - I fear we may fill our team with loan players (not ready yet or just old dross) & whoever falls off the journeyman merry-go round.    

Ray will have to wheel and deal , because we need about 8 players - if he pulls it off it's nothing short of a miracle. If he does and we stay up with those short term fixes , we will have to start again in the summer.

We've lost our identity and now have no players with any allegiance to the club or care factor.  Maybe that's just the modern day footballer but I miss the days of Bomber Brown, Houstie, Crunchie, Tiago, Yogi, Parks , Cadette, Baptie, even Stainrod cared. 

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Oooooh the boogie man admin word again. Used time and time again by those who don’t have a clue what triggers it, and when it’s hugely beneficial to do so.

Ooooh the touchy response to the boogie man admin word again. Used time and time again by those who dont have a clue what a joke is.

Pretty obvious, I would have thought. The more you spend on each player the fewer players you can sign. An extra player or two could be the difference between staying up or not. Your board may well have put the manager in a position where he cant bring in the players he wants

42 minutes ago, bob_mcshug said:

I'm actually surprised folk are not bothered by this.  Even playing devil's advocate and we all agree a statement about supporting the manager is a good thing - why mentioned the funds are "substantial"?  It's so naive and ill thought out and completely undermines our negotiating position.

I’m a bit surprised that the journalist who tipped McKinnon off that Morton hadn’t mentioned Falkirk’s approach didn’t get an exclusive on the new funds announcement.

Presumably you will be holding a tiny wee portion of these funds back as a contingency just in case the SFA decide to “deal with you as they see fit”. 

47 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:
3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:
Seems a really good idea to publicise this ahead of any negotiations with potential free agents imo. 

If their agents are worth their keep, they'd have us over a fire anyway. Anything before January is a desperation signing and will command a hefty fee.

Maybe I'm missing something, but free agents who are still looking for clubs are most likely either a) working in a day job they'd rather not be doing or b) sitting at home by the phone fingering their arseholes. What's more, the caliber of the agents of such players as are unable to find a job in the top two flights of British club football is not likely to be that of, say, Carlos Tevez's agent. It's going to be their uncle.

I’m a bit surprised that the journalist who tipped McKinnon off that Morton hadn’t mentioned Falkirk’s approach didn’t get an exclusive on the new funds announcement.
Presumably you will be holding a tiny wee portion of these funds back as a contingency just in case the SFA decide to “deal with you as they see fit”. 

Hahahahahaha.

Absolutely fucking SEETHING about McKinnon. Absolutely fucking SEETHING that we are flaunting our cash about!

Get yersel away wee guy. The shaggers have no requirement for you here.

#FuckMorton

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

That was exactly Peter Risdale's signing policy at Leeds Utd , he ruined a great club too. 

They also had goldfish that were worth more than our squad and I do mean more than £20

1 hour ago, bob_mcshug said:

I take you have forgotten the same board saying we had the biggest budget ever or words of that manner at the start of the season ?

The market we are looking at, its not gonna effect us much or at all, the hard part will be convincing players to come unless thier only other option was Morton !!

Edited by MrDust