The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

How do you control for that?

Fairly straightforward, his line manager or whoever he reported to should be aware of his activities and methods and raise any concerns that they may have had with him.

Looks pretty clear that there was a failure of management at more than one level.

So how many times must a manager see a player play? None and completely rely on the scout. 1, 2 or 3 times maybe catching an off day and knocking back a good player? Or 5, 10, 15 times? Some of Ray's worse signing must have played for him or been seen by him loads of times over the years. Surely all that matters is who signed the players and plays them! This mess is BBC "expert" pundit Paul Hartley's fault, if there really is such a thing as karma, he would never see a football again never mind earn money from the game.

1 hour ago, knee jerk reaction said:

This mess is BBC "expert" pundit Paul Hartley's fault, if there really is such a thing as karma, he would never see a football again never mind earn money from the game.

He shares the responsibility, certainly. But you're wrong if you are laying all of the blame for this shambles squarely at his door. Excluding the supporters, who have had the privilege of paying  good money to watch this car crash, there's plenty of blame to go around. The current management team and playing squad (Rudden and perhaps Burgoyne excepted) should not escape from it. It's a culmination of failure and incompetence at every level of the club, often going back years. It's staggering how wrong they have got things. 

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

How do you control for that?

By having the correct recruitment processes in place for the manager, an employee of the club , to follow.

We had obviously decided on the policy, it's not a stretch of the imagination to then lay down the processes.

Other decent professional clubs have this , it is pretty standard.          

Guest Ecosse83

No doubt the board have fucked up on certain things but not sure they can take all of the blame for what Hartley done. A good manager could have put together a good team with the funds they provided. Possibly the only mistake was not having someone in-between the manager and board who knows more about football.

We all wanted Hartley and were delighted when he was given the job. Just a shame he turned out to be a complete and utter c**t of epic proportions!

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

He shares the responsibility, certainly. But you're wrong if you are laying all of the blame for this shambles squarely at his door. Excluding the supporters, who have had the privilege of paying  good money to watch this car crash, there's plenty of blame to go around. The current management team and playing squad (Rudden and perhaps Burgoyne excepted) should not escape from it. It's a culmination of failure and incompetence at every level of the club, often going back years. It's staggering how wrong they have got things. 

McKinnon had a limited choice on who he could bring in. Free agents, Players not getting a game with their clubs whether out of favour , not good enough or not fit enough.  Not making excuses for him but it was one hell of a mess he took on. We had our chance in the last 3 games that were 6 pointers and blew it. Not even the comfort of saying we were unlucky. Nothing to lose on Saturday by going out and playing the game as a blood and snotters cup tie - for that is what it is. Lose or draw then it's all over.  Some hard decisions to be taken regarding the clubs future. Directors - Management team - Budget - Size of squad - Full or part time. No faffing about on this get it decided in the first couple of weeks of the closed season and move on.

Edited by HopeStreetWalker

18 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

By having the correct recruitment processes in place for the manager, an employee of the club , to follow.

We had obviously decided on the policy, it's not a stretch of the imagination to then lay down the processes.

Other decent professional clubs have this , it is pretty standard.          

The recruitment process is simple. Manager gets a budget. Manager decides how it's spent. Manager often moans about it in private, but he still spends what he's given. His decisions on who to sign are based on his own opinion and advice from football people he trusts. 

He does not sign players based on processes set by the board. I know this from having spoken to the different coaches & club staff who've worked for our last three managers. 

I don't know what "correct processes other decent professional clubs" have. 

I'd be interested to find out though. Can you give examples? Preferably from clubs at our level? Apart  from budget restrictions, I'd love to hear what processes Ian McCall has to follow that we should also be using. 

TBH when we do go down then it should be seen as a clean slate start to finish for the club Board/MSG etc whats left of playing staff if any it needs a radical overhaul and as much as Lang and CC had a vision it needs a fresh approach not a car crash after car crash approach and stop releasing club statements without full knowing of the facts (DL statement) it was almost like they enjoying releasing them as it made someone feel important.

Edited by AL-FFC

Hartley will get another job quite easily off the back of his relative (and money backed of course) success at Alloa as well as a decent start with Dundee. He'll be able to argue away the rest of his CV as having worked at two basketcase clubs - Dundee being Dundee and Falkirk in their tremendous banter years form. 

He might have to take a brief step back into part-time management first though I could see Queen of the South or Ayr considering him right now. And of course he'd be a better manager than Jonatan Johannsson because that's not exactly difficult. 

Edited by vikingTON

So how many times must a manager see a player play? None and completely rely on the scout. 1, 2 or 3 times maybe catching an off day and knocking back a good player? Or 5, 10, 15 times? Some of Ray's worse signing must have played for him or been seen by him loads of times over the years. Surely all that matters is who signed the players and plays them! This mess is BBC "expert" pundit Paul Hartley's fault, if there really is such a thing as karma, he would never see a football again never mind earn money from the game.

More than zero

10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'd say with some confidence that guys like Paul Hartley, Neil McCann and John Hughes won't get a full time job in Scotland again. 

I agree,  however unfortunately for us,  if as it seems quite likely that Goodwin will move onward and upwards next season whatever league we are in, it is a stick on that Hartley will be back in the  Alloa managers' chair.  Mulraney thinks the sun shines out of Hartley's erse and i suspect his mind will not be swayed despite his failings at Dundee and Falkirk.    

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'd say with some confidence that guys like Paul Hartley, Neil McCann and John Hughes won't get a full time job in Scotland again. 

There was an article reference Yogi and why he will never get a management job in football again, think it was agent saying he cant work out why no one is hiring him and someone at one of the clubs where he previously managed slating him and his management style/tactics why he wont work in management again and it has got round the clubs (think the article was in the Scotsman) watch this space for Yogi coming back at some point for FFC and us being us we will prob make an approach to Hibs for GC

1 hour ago, Ecosse83 said:

No doubt the board have fucked up on certain things but not sure they can take all of the blame for what Hartley done. A good manager could have put together a good team with the funds they provided. Possibly the only mistake was not having someone in-between the manager and board who knows more about football.

We all wanted Hartley and were delighted when he was given the job. Just a shame he turned out to be a complete and utter c**t of epic proportions!

I wanted McCall back then but like McKinnon you either say no thanks Falkirk Fc I am out or give them a chance

We wouldnt be discussing Hartley if his transfer dealing had been a success, the reality is that it was far too much to clear out at this level firstly and secondly the quality wasnt up to to it, when you cling to the Hearts 18yr old loan player(Irving) being the pick, you realise you are in trouble

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

McKinnon had a limited choice on who he could bring in. Free agents, Players not getting a game with their clubs whether out of favour , not good enough or not fit enough.  Not making excuses for him but it was one hell of a mess he took on. We had our chance in the last 3 games that were 6 pointers and blew it. Not even the comfort of saying we were unlucky. Nothing to lose on Saturday by going out and playing the game as a blood and snotters cup tie - for that is what it is. Lose or draw then it's all over.  Some hard decisions to be taken regarding the clubs future. Directors - Management team - Budget - Size of squad - Full or part time. No faffing about on this get it decided in the first couple of weeks of the closed season and move on.

The last two weeks displays were as bad as anything Hartley had us watching. If we were in the top end of the play offs and a defeat would give us a stronger position to progress, McKinnon would still play for a draw, he is a tactical nightmare

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Hartley I'd agree with and probably McCann but Hughes will be back somewhere at some point, I even suggested when he left Falkirk he would be back as manager some day

49 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

There was an article reference Yogi and why he will never get a management job in football again, think it was agent saying he cant work out why no one is hiring him and someone at one of the clubs where he previously managed slating him and his management style/tactics why he wont work in management again and it has got round the clubs (think the article was in the Scotsman) watch this space for Yogi coming back at some point for FFC and us being us we will prob make an approach to Hibs for GC

This is not a joke or wind up from me - I would probably cry with joy if Yogi came back to Falkirk.