The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Forgot to add, a 2 or 3 year plan is essential. Its all very well springboarding back up but if you do it without a plan to try and "do a Livi" or similar then wr will just end up in a world of mediocrity again. This has happened, we need to try and use it.

Behind the scenes, yes, but from players and management the focus has to be on winning the league. We were a joke for a while with so much talk from players and manager about improved contracts once we get promotion etc. We got a bit lucky by the third attempt and had a very potent full time team against 9 part time sides. You guys could be going into a tough environment with no magic recipe for getting back out. 

It can be a laugh anyway. Once preaseason comes around relegation is forgotten about.

Behind the scenes, yes, but from players and management the focus has to be on winning the league. We were a joke for a while with so much talk from players and manager about improved contracts once we get promotion etc. We got a bit lucky by the third attempt and had a very potent full time team against 9 part time sides. You guys could be going into a tough environment with no magic recipe for getting back out. 
It can be a laugh anyway. Once preaseason comes around relegation is forgotten about.
Thats what I mean. The club needs a plan that doesnt begin and end with getting out of league 1. If we take yourselves as an example, you got out and did ok, built up to the playoffs but are currently stagnant and probably looking at a management and player overhaul. If you lose your edge in the Championship you will be punished as we have found out. Stagnating whilst near the top ultimately just resulted in us rolling off the other side of the hill. Its difficult to arrest momentum (again as we have found out)

28 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah I know I am just using board as a catch all term for the idiots who oversaw this mess. They all need to relinquish their influence over the club be it in appointing board members, or appointing managers, or putting out misguided shite statements and making an arse of themselves Craig.

Forgot to add, a 2 or 3 year plan is essential. Its all very well springboarding back up but if you do it without a plan to try and "do a Livi" or similar then wr will just end up in a world of mediocrity again. This has happened, we need to try and use it.

Also forgot to add, Lavery was a livewire yesterday and its criminal that he was held back whilst we toiled for ideas up front. Hindsight though....

Happily, agree with all of the above.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Thats what I mean. The club needs a plan that doesnt begin and end with getting out of league 1. If we take yourselves as an example, you got out and did ok, built up to the playoffs but are currently stagnant and probably looking at a management and player overhaul. If you lose your edge in the Championship you will be punished as we have found out. Stagnating whilst near the top ultimately just resulted in us rolling off the other side of the hill. Its difficult to arrest momentum (again as we have found out)

Yeah - folk unhappy with Crawford but if you look at who will likely be still in the league and who is dropping down then it’s hard to see us doing better than about 6th. 

Recruiting in League One isn’t easy as you’ll soon see some of the best players will make a better living being part time.

Guest Ecosse83

Well now that I've slept on relegation I have to say I'm not that bothered, it's been coming for months so I accepted it ages ago. The main thing I took from yesterday was how much of a pussy McKinnon is, we had a go yesterday and looked a better team for it. 'Make no bones about it' Ray you played a huge part in relegating Falkirk FC yesterday with your pathetic lets not lose tactics. 

We now need to look forward so where do we start? First thing for me is to get rid of McKinnon. No way in hell will I be renewing a season ticket with him in charge it's bad enough being in League 1 but even worse watching his brand of football down there.

Are there any players we want to keep that we can realistically keep? For me the players that have contracted for next season can all go, either not good enough or pea hearted fuckers!

11 hours ago, JinkyBairn said:

Dono tbh. Might be due to the playoff semi final and final, along with a Scottish cup final. These are just guesses tho.

I didn't realise we were in a playoff semi final and a Scottish Cup final at the start of last season. I must have been living in an alternate reality where we had taken three points from our first seven games and were languishing at the bottom of the league a whopping one point ahead of the worst Championship team in living memory. My mistake.

I didn't realise we were in a playoff semi final and a Scottish Cup final at the start of last season. I must have been living in an alternate reality where we had taken three points from our first seven games and were languishing at the bottom of the league a whopping one point ahead of the worst Championship team in living memory. My mistake.
I was just about the last one on the sack Houston bandwagon IIRC. He absolutely HAD to go. As much as I felt the players were shameful, Houston was the manager and he had to go. The hounding we took off Queens to finish it was eerily similar to end of Hartleys tenure. Had Houston stayed any longer, we were down last year rather than this.

31 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

The main thing I took from yesterday was how much of a pussy McKinnon is, we had a go yesterday and looked a better team for it.

I've been saying this for weeks.

We've looked a far, far better team when actually having a go at other teams, rather than sitting back and hoping for a point.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I was just about the last one on the sack Houston bandwagon IIRC. He absolutely HAD to go. As much as I felt the players were shameful, Houston was the manager and he had to go. The hounding we took off Queens to finish it was eerily similar to end of Hartleys tenure. Had Houston stayed any longer, we were down last year rather than this.

Yup.

Houston had had a great run, but his time was up. He had to go.

Yup.
Houston had had a great run, but his time was up. He had to go.
It is undoubtedly that stagnation he oversaw that seeded this. Not saying there werent chances to arrest it and in no way blaming him for this current state of affairs. But in terms of how we got here, he had us on the crest of the hill and staying there in a sporting context is very difficult, he started us rolling downhill with shite signings to replace quality players.

Everyones job subsequently became harder from that point on, with each failure being for higher stakes. Again, none of this can be blamed on Houstie, but its clear he had to go.

He also started the trend that Falkirk teams do not require right backs, which I find odd.

Is it my imagination or did the chairwoman come out and speak to the fans at the end of last season?? I thought at least we would have had a statement out from the club by now... need to get the ball rolling with next season preparations!

4 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Actual tears laughing at this thread, what a weekend, Thistle safe, Falkirk getting replaced with an actual decent away day, bank holiday tomorrow, brilliant. Bye lads. 

WG69gdl.jpg

Enjoy your day aff tomorrow my man. 

I understand the brave faces, but going down to the third tier is a rubbish experience, and I'm thoroughly pissed off that we're probably joining you in that fate.

We went down seven years ago.  We recovered well and won the League by a mile, but it wasn't much fun.  If you win all the time, it feels hollow and tedious.  If you're struggling, it's obviously enough... a struggle.  

I hope to God we don't wind up relegated, but I suspect we will.

Just imagine what it’s like to be such a piss poor banthorrific mess that the fans of other clubs go along with MORTON fans laughing at your expense?

Edited by Ad Lib
To add the word mess.

Agree with this. His time was up and his relationship with certain players had deteriorated.
However, the one good thing about these crazy clear-outs over the last 18 months is that if he were to rejoin he’d have a clean slate position to work from.
I’d have him back.
We need experience in the manager role at the moment so whilst I understand the early clamour for Kerr and Baird I think it’s not quite the right time for taking serious risks.....